PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Doc! is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rooting SGS2 to Windows Mango

I want a Mango phone and the Sprint option sucks, so I need a workaround.

Can this be done?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Rooting SGS2 to Windows Mango

gs2 is not even out yet and you want mango on it? this is a joke right...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Doc! is a n00b

No it is not a joke. The SGS2 has been out in Europe for months and the Mango development tools have been out for I think a month. If it will be done just not until the release cool. If it is not going to be possible, then I would like to know so I don't get the phone.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc! View Post
No it is not a joke. The SGS2 has been out in Europe for months and the Mango development tools have been out for I think a month. If it will be done just not until the release cool. If it is not going to be possible, then I would like to know so I don't get the phone.
I know its been out but your on sprint and europe has nothing to do with cdma but its not gonna happen I highly dought. What android device out now runs mango or where's a thread where someone tried it?

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 09-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Doc! is a n00b

I have been unable to find anything. That is why I am asking. You guys in here are mostly experts at this stuff. So I needed an expert to answer this question. You have quite a few posts. I imagine you have some knowledge to you. You are believing an Android phone to a Mango root will be unlikely?

I know that Windows Mobile has been rooted to Android as I almost did it once via various instructions from here. Well 2008 actually when I joined to do some research.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

you can't run mango on an android device..not because of technical issue involved but because M$ will sue them sky high...

Android is free so it can be ported, wp7 is not free so porting is gonna get you sued...

What is it that you want in a mango phone? maybe the same stuff can be accomplished in android...depending on what you want/need.

There was a rumor of a phone that is like the SGS2 with WP7 instead of android..but I don't know the details and even if it comes to be it may not end up on sprint.

There is another phone coming to sprint i think the htc mazaa but its no sgs2...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Doc! is a n00b

Oh yeah...it appeared that the Mango Demo was done on a Galaxy series phone. That made me figure it could be done.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Oh yeah...it appeared that the Mango Demo was done on a Galaxy series phone. That made me figure it could be done.
Samsung makes demo phones for wp7, yes..even the original wp7 demo phone was a samsung..but the demo phone never made it into production, the focus did. And it didn't end up on sprint.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Doc! is a n00b

Mainly, I like that on the Windows Phones I can backup locally to my computer without, having to send my whole life to Google and their servers. Personally, I am none of their business and I object to being forced to have to share myself with them.

It is all about intellectual property. Once you upload to them, they have you. Regardless of what the privacy policies are, regardless of the terms and conditions, regardless of the contract, regardless regardless regardless, Android customers willfully send Google everything about themselves on every backup. No Bueno to me.

I have not been able to find a local backup program that does not require upload to the internet for Android. If you smart people have found a way or wrote a program....I will stop my rant, apologize and ask for its location so I may happily get an Android phone on Sept 16th from Sprint.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Mainly, I like that on the Windows Phones I can backup locally to my computer without, having to send my whole life to Google and their servers. Personally, I am none of their business and I object to being forced to have to share myself with them.

It is all about intellectual property. Once you upload to them, they have you. Regardless of what the privacy policies are, regardless of the terms and conditions, regardless of the contract, regardless regardless regardless, Android customers willfully send Google everything about themselves on every backup. No Bueno to me.

I have not been able to find a local backup program that does not require upload to the internet for Android. If you smart people have found a way or wrote a program....I will stop my rant, apologize and ask for its location so I may happily get an Android phone on Sept 16th from Sprint.

We have a number of ways of backing up locally, mostly while rooted.

Titanium Backup, MyBackup Pro, Full NAND Backup, ADB

You can also sync your info with outlook or with 3rd party software.

And I don't think you can make full local backups with wp7 actually..its not like windows mobile...

If anything I would say Android's ability to backup locally is superior to even winmo..simple because I can make a backup onto the sd card and restore directly on the phone itself without even need of a computer.

Last edited by gTen; 09-02-2011 at 12:28 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series