PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   ROM/Kitchen Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   CUSTOM OS~ Not Windows Mobile (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46718)

BigDiesel07 11-26-2008 11:58 PM

CUSTOM OS~ Not Windows Mobile

Do you think, as a group, we could create our own custom Operating System? Something other than WM? Just a theory... But with the amount of intelligent coders, software engineers, and PPC Geeks on this site, it should be possible.. And if we got XDA involved, the sky could be the limit..

hibby50 11-26-2008 11:59 PM

Re: CUSTOM OS~ Not Windows Mobile

i was thinkin the same thing a few days ago

BigDiesel07 11-27-2008 12:03 AM

I really think it could be possible... I personally have NO coding skills, and am only starting to develop an understanding of how a PPC works.. But if people can create code for their own custom ROM's, or create ways to create new icon's, anything should be possible.. I may not be able to code, but I would be willing to donate time and effort into what I can do, and I know monetary contributions are always willingly accepted...

junior1234 11-30-2008 10:25 PM

Now this would be interesting, would gladly donate toward that idea.

BigDiesel07 12-01-2008 01:38 PM

So... Anybody know where to start?

Lylej2k 12-01-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 552522)
So... Anybody know where to start?

Haven't a clue my friend, but I too would be willing to test and donate

BigDiesel07 12-01-2008 01:58 PM

To test and donate, I agree... Who here on this site knows of such coding?

rashire 12-02-2008 04:05 AM

I'm new here to the forums and ppc's but i'll put in my opinion. Making a full OS is a huge undertaking, especially one that would hold up to your large standards. Not to mention this would require every program you guys typically install to be coded especially for this new os, and to top it all off i'm not sure you could get all your sprint services working since they where made for windows.

To make your own os for a phone in itself isnt the biggest callenge its making one able to outpreform windows in speed and functionality. People get microsoft alot of flack, but they got alot of smart people and money behind these products. Personally i'd be interested in how heavyly someone can mod window and prehaps work on our own interface like touch flo to hide windows. for instance in windows on a desktop you can stop windows from loading explorer (not the web browser, the one that handles windows and the start menu) and run your own application instead. in this way you have all the api, and library of windows already set up, but the only interface us the one you coded. Also, again i dont know much about ce, but it may save alot of memory turning off the window manager.

BigDiesel07 12-02-2008 10:35 AM

Good opinion Rashire... What you said made me think about it some more... An intuitive interface would be a much better way to go than a complete over haul of the OS code..

Briarios 12-03-2008 12:44 PM

Huh, this sounds really cool. I'd help with whatever I can, though I don't know if it'd be anything besides donations/testing :p