PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 06:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Samsung Epic 4G And HTC Touch Pro 2 Keyboard Comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV3YQMUs56w

as always thanks for viewing this video and my channel. this is a comparison between the epic 4g and the touch pro 2 keyboards. there are only slight differences but these differences together can make or break a keyboard for a person. if you have any further questions feel free to ask in the comments below and i will get an answer or video done for you if videos is necessary.

be sure to hit that subscribe button if you would like to get an email confirmation each time i add a video to my channel

follow me on twitter at dash_spj
friend me on facebook at smartphonejunkie dash spj

check out my fellow smartphonejunkie staff members electronics review channel at www.youtube.com/iceman7679
Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

siptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Sprint Samsung Epic 4G And HTC Touch Pro 2 Keyboard Comparison

nice review as always Dash.

I preferred the keys on tp2 as well as swivel of the screen.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

tp2 keyboard is better imo ... because every input was always recognized. im not having such luck on epic #2 .. i do however like the shortcut keys ... always for faster navigation while keyboard is out
Old 09-05-2010, 03:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work

I can't say that I agree with you. The TP2 keyboard is downright awesome. I think the emoticon key is absurd. The should have made the spacebar 3 wide.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint postpaid

daddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
I can't say that I agree with you. The TP2 keyboard is downright awesome. I think the emoticon key is absurd. The should have made the spacebar 3 wide.
Agreed 100%.

the TP2 keyboard is designed to be a mini computer keyboard w/ the keys being offset.

The Epic keyboard rectangle lacks in this regard. Also the flat top of the keys is detracting as well. It makes it more difficult to obtain accurate key presses.

On the flip side, at least the Epic comes w/ a slide out QWERTY.. the other Galaxy devices do not. That feature alone = win (IMO). .I believe Sprint spec'd it this way in an attempt to win over some of the TP2 lovers.

(I'm a TP2 lover by nature, and I can tell you that I've had my Epic since friday afternoon, and have yet to use the slide out QWERTY beyond just messing with it. I prefer texting/typing on the touch screen)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post
Agreed 100%.

the TP2 keyboard is designed to be a mini computer keyboard w/ the keys being offset.

The Epic keyboard rectangle lacks in this regard. Also the flat top of the keys is detracting as well. It makes it more difficult to obtain accurate key presses.

On the flip side, at least the Epic comes w/ a slide out QWERTY.. the other Galaxy devices do not. That feature alone = win (IMO). .I believe Sprint spec'd it this way in an attempt to win over some of the TP2 lovers.

(I'm a TP2 lover by nature, and I can tell you that I've had my Epic since friday afternoon, and have yet to use the slide out QWERTY beyond just messing with it. I prefer texting/typing on the touch screen)
Yep, which is one of the reasons I am going back to my EVO.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Moved to Phone Comparison.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2/ EPic
Carrier: sprint

bobbyblack knows their stuffbobbyblack knows their stuffbobbyblack knows their stuffbobbyblack knows their stuffbobbyblack knows their stuffbobbyblack knows their stuff

I like the PRO2 keyboard aswell... But I'm sure I would tell the difference after a couple of weeks of using it. It'll just that some getting use too, I'm sure I'll be whoed! by the rest of the phone ( I'll be getting it some time this week coming)
Old 09-06-2010, 03:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Arterion is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Arterion Send a message via MSN to Arterion Send a message via Yahoo to Arterion

I just went to the Epic from the TP2.

TP2 keyboard was better. My main complaint is that you have to push too hard.

Rubberized keys that are offset and domed would be nice. But mostly having to push too hard.

Also, anyone noticed the space bar sometimes feels like you've clicked it twice, as both switches of it depress in a slight delay if you push it just slightly off-center?

That said, the Epic makes the TP2 look like a joke, even if it did have a better keyboard. The on screen keyboard is amazing, and I find myself using it quite a bit, whereas on the TP2 I never used it.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I completely disagree on every point you've made. Before I continue, I should disclose that I own a TP2 but please don't assume this to be a fanboy post (my alltime favorite keyboard is the Mogul's, if that matters, and the Epic is on order as my next device).

1. I can't stand rectangular keyboards (but I'm getting it anyway, huh). Offset keys, much like the keyboard I'm typing on right now, are substantially more intuitive to me and many other people I've talked to. Square keyboards excel in efficiency in using space, whereas offset keys inspire more confidence, better accuracy when you're not looking, and I might even argue result in higher typing speed (that's an iffy topic so I won't go there). I think this becomes a moot point once you get used to the square keyboard anyway.

2. Plasticky keys, in my opinion, feel a lot cheaper and "insecure" to me when compared to more rubberized keys. I got a very distinct feeling of cheap plastic having been used on the Epic... it's a lot like comparing the interior components of a 2002 Camaro and a 2002 Acura... well, anything. That plastic seems like it belong on a Rumor and not a flagship device. The Epic's keys also felt like they wouldn't last 6 months and that they would discolor quickly (unlikely, it was just a feeling of a Fisher Price toy coated in lead paint to me personally).

3. I really don't see the additional spacing between keys on the Epic, to which you referred as your #1 point. I didn't notice it myself (it's possible that I was distracted by the awesome screen!) but looking at your video, they seem VERY similar in individual key size, key spacing (apart from the offsetting), and overall keyboard size. Maybe it's one of those things you have to feel rather than see in an internet video

And finally, I did like the Epic's more square arrow keys since they're not offset like TP2, the smiley face hard key is for high school girls (are they part of the Epic's demographic??), and the Android keys are a huge plus for everyday use.

All in all, I find it interesting that someone would prefer a plastic square keyboard with a smiley face over a TP2 keyboard because I hold the polar opposite opinion.

ps- the TP2's right arrow shortcut key isn't for volume, it's for the communication manager.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison