PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Post-WebOS 1.04 update homebrew app installation instructions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73265)

Drybonz 06-30-2009 01:46 AM

Post-WebOS 1.04 update homebrew app installation instructions

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone who has installed any homebrew app via the email method will notice that this method is obsolete (no longer possible) after the WebOS 1.04 update. Here are instructions for another installation method that still works.

1) Install SDK (download here: http://preinsiders.com/home/2009/06/...ed-to-the-web/ )
2) use konami code to put Pre in dev mode (see post #2)
3) reset Pre
4) Connect Pre to PC in "Just Charge" mode
5) Drag .ipk file for your homebrew app onto Program Files>Palm>SDK>bin>palm-install.bat on the PC (a cmd prompt will pop up and after this you should see the app icon in your programs on the Pre)

Here is a nice homebrew app for you to test with. It is actually a sweet little Google translator app made by Roar over at PreCentral. Thanks to Roar for the nice app and PreCentral for hosting the homebrew party.

Drybonz 06-30-2009 01:53 AM

Re: Post-WebOS 1.04 update homebrew app installation instructions

"How to use the konami code to enter developer mode"

1) From your Pre homescreen type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart"
2) After you type this a box will pop up. Tap the box.
3) A screen will pop up with an "on-off" slider. Change it to "on"
4) The device will prompt you to soft reset.
5) After the device soft resets you will be in developer mode. This will allow you to install apps using the method in post #1 in this thread.

To turn off developer mode on your device, enter the konami code again, turn the slider back to "off" and reset.

Drybonz 06-30-2009 01:57 AM

Everyone who has even the most remote interest in homebrew development for the Pre or even installing homebrew apps on their Pre should download the SDK from the link in the first post in this thread while it is still available, and keep it on their PC at all times, IMO.

Zyphlin 06-30-2009 08:39 AM

The home brew community has really amazed me with how much so fast.

The translator app, for being a quick little thing, looks kind of nice. Glad they have a flashlight app going too.

But even beyond that some of the things already being worked on are great. One person is already working on getting widgets and information displaying on the today screen while there was a whole heap managing to find ways to add new searches to universal search.

Drybonz 06-30-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zyphlin (Post 1005604)
One person is already working on getting widgets and information displaying on the today screen while there was a whole heap managing to find ways to add new searches to universal search.

Link that stuff over here when you find it so we can get the information in this forum as well.

Thanks.

katad 06-30-2009 02:01 PM

Is there a trick to getting this to work. I followed the install steps but when i try to load the file it will not open. Try running the emula it won't open.

Thanks

Drybonz 06-30-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katad (Post 1006174)
Is there a trick to getting this to work. I followed the install steps but when i try to load the file it will not open. Try running the emula it won't open.

When you ran the emulator it probably asked you to install VitualBox? Did you do this when it asked you to? Google it, it's a free download.

cell128 06-30-2009 06:19 PM

hey bonz can u uninstall the homebrew apps if you don't want them anymore?

cell128 06-30-2009 06:30 PM

nevermind bonz I installed the app. Thanks a bazillion!! now if only we could get that nes emulator or doom app (mouth watering AAAAAAARRRRRGGHHHHHH)

ajanderson78 06-30-2009 08:43 PM

This is great!!! Installing apps now...