PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

BruceBanner is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Thinking About Making Move to Pre instead of TP2 Help me Decide

im sold, ill be moving my wife from att and off the iphone and we'll both be getting the pre
Old 06-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20pr View Post
Coz wants this, but he doesnt want to announce it yet lol.....
Hahahahahahahaha....maybe we'll get one for Mrs. Boogie first...that way Coz can play with it more.

late,
Coz
Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Zyphlin is keeping up the good workZyphlin is keeping up the good work

People have already given good advise. I'll try to give a bit.

How much do you want to fiddle? If you don't want to spend a good bit of time every few weeks pouring through ROMs, Flashing your device, tweaking the UI than the Pre may be a better choice. However, if you like doing the above and having that control of the phone the TP2 will be it.

Size is a big thing. Do you want something extremely pocketable, or do you want a big keyboard and screen? The size difference on them is striking.

If the only thing bothering you is apps ask yourself what kind of apps it is. If they're relatively mainstream, "typical" programs, there's a good chance within 6 months they'll be out in some fashion for WebOS. With that in mind, if the app is not something you need IMMEDIETELY then, ask yourself "If all things apps are equal, which one would I pick".

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

BruceBanner is becoming a great contributor

im probably gonna make the leap to pre tomorrow, one for me and one for wife. i think ive had enough of windows mobile as well, its fun to play with, just not user friendly and hella slow. so i aint gonna wait for the tp2.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

skilledone is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
Too many options for both. That's why I got a Touch Pro and a Pre.

Same in regards to a Pro and a Pre hehe I have both. Also because I didn't want to give up my grandfathered in Free & Clear Plan with 1100 minutes.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

scoobdude is just getting started

i am not on the fence. I had a treo 650 before moving over to a mogul. loved the customizing that was possible. but i slowly started to miss my one hand typing on the treo.

then my wife got a centro. she almost got a diamond, but i told her that she would have to reset it often. and while the centro is not prefect (kb locks up for some reason), apps available is awesome just as here and its rock solid (minus having nav).

i now have a touch pro and here are the things i will miss when i can finally find a pre

1) voice command (great for when in the car...when it worked)
2) flashing roms....gotta admit has been fun especially with how easy everyone here made it
3) knowing what i am doing in the registry... but hey that is what larning is all about
4) BT file transfer
5) opera... been using it for years now...its just hard to let go

Here are some of the things i am looking fwd to.

1) fewer crash and WMP not taking up 40% of my usuable mem
2) pinch to zoom
3) buttons that work (hate the directional button on the pro)
4) gestures
5) the ringer switch....oh how i miss thee
6) new and exciting OS and GUI

also in the processor is supposed to be awesome on this thing. so i only expect this thing to improve as time goes on. just like linux (which my wife is now cause she got a virus last time...grrrrr)
Old 06-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: iPhone 3G w/Transwarp Core
Carrier: AT&T+PPC Geeks (You are still The BEST)

JunkionMarnot is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to JunkionMarnot Send a message via Yahoo to JunkionMarnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldostang View Post
this are just my opinions/thoughts on some of your items that made me prefer the pre. but this is just me.

no. 1 and no. 2 are one an the same for me. yeah the tp2 has a bigger screen but makes the phone that much bigger. i like to slide the phone in my pocket at times, especially when wearing shorts and a bigger phone seems more uncomfortable.

no. 3 - ive been using win mo also for a while. and really im tired of it. i know its highly customizable but ive been customizing it for the longest time to make it the way i like it. but am never satisfied. to tell you the truth i havent flashed a new rom in over two weeks because frankly im tired of it. i was even thinking of getting an iphone because i was tired of win mo.

no 6. - havent had a hardware keyboard since my ppc6700 (years ago). i did test it out for a few minutes and seemed a bit small but could type fine with it. would like an onscreen keyboard which im sure a software update will fix this or somebody will come up with one.

no 8. - i used the end button on my diamond to end calls all the time. will probably need to get used to the pre on this, but really dont care much about it.
I agree with most of this. I sadly (or gladly; depends on who's view you're with) left Sprint and WinMo for the ATT/Apple conglomerate. Sprint was good to me, but something occured to me....WinMo's UI was to slow. If you were in an emergency and had to make a call after running or in the midst of closing apps, more times than not the phone would lock up. i know with all the tweaks available your mileage will vary but ALL WinMo fans know WinMo is slow and laggy. It just hit me one day and when I had a chance I left, going so far as paying the ETF. I feel you Ido, these are my exact views. In time I'm sure WinMo will improve & I'll be more than happy to jump back, but up against capacitive screens and smoother more responsive UIs I just can't see doing another WinMo device now. Now, I won't deter anyone from getting one, use what you dig. But for me why play pretend when you could have the one of the best. Just one guy's opinion though. If you have a WM then you're pretty much hip to the deal. I say try a Pre instore, and keep researching reviews. That's what I do, and knowing ATT could be a bum and with so-so coverage (well 3G anyway from what I hear) but if at least the device gives me the best user experience for me , then it's worth the pain.

There's a fine line between crazy and stupid...

...and I'm just playing stupid....
Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: iPhone 3G w/Transwarp Core
Carrier: AT&T+PPC Geeks (You are still The BEST)

JunkionMarnot is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to JunkionMarnot Send a message via Yahoo to JunkionMarnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatom3 View Post
Use the pre at a store. Remember the TP2 is better hardware but it's still windows mobile. WebOS sold me. No way am I going back to Windows Mobile until it's had a major overhaul.
Sho' 'nuff.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

ldostang is keeping up the good workldostang is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkionMarnot View Post
If you were in an emergency and had to make a call after running or in the midst of closing apps, more times than not the phone would lock up.
this happened to me a little more than a month ago. i got a call from my brother and as soon as i was gonna answer it, the phone froze. well i had to remove the cover and reset. then the minutes it took to turn back on when i could finally call back. turns out, my dad got really sick and my mom was alone with him. by that time the ambulance had already took him to the hospital. sorry for my little story but it just sucked that it froze at that important time. but thats winmo and it has happened many times.

Last edited by ldostang; 06-17-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldostang View Post
this happened to me a little more than a month ago. i got a call from my brother and as soon as i was gonna answer it, the phone froze. well i had to remove the cover and reset. then the minutes it took to turn back on when i could finally call back. turns out, my dad got really sick and my mom was alone with him. by that time the ambulance had already took him to the hospital. sorry for my little story but it just sucked that it froze at that important time. but thats winmo and it has happened many times.
Luckily I never had a call that important that it locked up on me for, but I have had it lock up on calls, so it was only a matter of time before winmo did that to me too. Winmo is great at being a pocket pc, but neglects to give priority to it's first function which is being a phone. The Pre answers calls so much faster than my Touch Diamond did, and having the security of knowing your phone won't lock up when you get a call is worth the move alone.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre