PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..." (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103406)

gullzway 12-27-2009 10:10 AM

"Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

I just noticed this quote on Sprint's website on the right side of the page while looking at their phones. Does anyone agree with this? I know I don't, in fact it seems they have the least compelling lineup, as I sit here with my Diamond wishing there was a phone worth using my upgrade credit on, which I've been eligible to do for a year now!

"Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones out of the four major US wireless carriers with the HTC Hero, Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro2, BlackBerry Tour, HTC Snap, and more..."
ZDNet. October 5, 2009.

gullzway 12-27-2009 10:17 AM

Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

And what's up with their pricing. The Touch Pro 2 is the only phone I would consider and it is $349.99 WITH a contract renewal, come on really. I can but it right now on ebay NEW with no contract for $349.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-new-Sprint...item2a039babbe

MrObvious 12-27-2009 10:54 AM

Well the Pre is pretty unique to Sprint, and a lot of people like the Hero and Tour.

InvincibleLiving 12-27-2009 11:37 AM

Much as I'm tempted to take this opportunity to bash Sprint, I won't. For the things I need out of a phone/data provider they're still the 'best of the worst'.

The US cell industry needs a MAJOR overhauling.

The other thing I've only recently learned is that I will never buy another NEW handset DIRECT from Sprint or any other carrier if I ever choose to leave. Craigslist is the BEST open market adjustment on the planet, which the OP mentioned in talking about the retail price of the diamond vs. what it can be purchased for off the street from a stranger!

I've been with sprint since 1997...back when they were sprint spectrum. That's 13 years: longer than a vast majority of marriges, and longer than the average professional sports career, ect! Who can say they still maintain ANY business relationship for that amount of period in this age of competition. Imagine how many jobs and career changes you've had in that amount of time!13 years is a LONG time... and for the entire past year I've been stuck with a diamond I now hate, and no linear next-gen device to move into, but apparently they have the most compelling lineup of smartphones... um the RANT, RUMOUR, and INSTINCT don't count fellas!

And why in the world is there such a price difference between Android devices and WinMo's?!!!! You can get a Hero for $180 after upgrade/rebate... but the TP2 is $350 after upgrade/rebate... and $100 more than what any other carrier is offering for the SAME device running the SAME specs?

I promised I would'nt bash them so let me end with this, F Sprint - I hate em lol.

wmdunn 12-27-2009 01:40 PM

You're not alone ... lots of us are wondering if Sprint will even be in business in a couple of years. Their line-up is not compelling, and they have given no hint about what's coming. My guess is that they will continue to lose customers at an unprecedented rate ... and if there isn't HD2, Bravo, or something compelling very soon ... our family's accounts will be among the missing as well.

akayareal 12-27-2009 01:49 PM

Sprints line up is probably very appealing to someone who is stepping into the smart phone world for the 1st time but for anyone who is constantly looking for the next best phone it sure isnt.

This will play a major factor in there success of there WiMax role out. Will they be able to raise the bar and flood the market with affordable to top notch smartphone headsets from various manufacturers?

akayareal 12-27-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 1439957)
You're not alone ... lots of us are wondering if Sprint will even be in business in a couple of years. Their line-up is not compelling, and they have given no hint about what's coming. My guess is that they will continue to lose customers at an unprecedented rate ... and if there isn't HD2, Bravo, or something compelling very soon ... our family's accounts will be among the missing as well.

Even with bringing in some of the big high end phones, the price always plays a big part in it. Theres only so much a person will pay when renewing their contract for a new phone. A phone like the HD2 will probably be $400 after all discounts.

I personally would wait a few months to let the price drop on Ebay. With these very expensive high end smart phones, they need atleast 2 average ones to give the people choices.

gullzway 12-27-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving (Post 1439806)
... but the TP2 is $350 after upgrade/rebate... and $100 more than what any other carrier is offering for the SAME device running the SAME specs?...

I know. Verizon and ATT have the Touch Pro2 for $199. And I just saw on U.S. Cellular's website that they have it for $99.00 after $70 rebate. If Sprint offered it for this price I would sign up for 2 more years right now! Even though I'm holding my breath for the HD2 or at least something comparable.

Noir 12-27-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 1439770)
Well the Pre is pretty unique to Sprint, and a lot of people like the Hero and Tour.

not after a few days...heck verizon has been itching for the exclusivity to end january 1st and has even stated openly several times it will come as early as january 2nd

as for sprint's statement, I don't agree...I think vzw has more bang for your buck this time...now if sprint gets that touch hd 2...

spiritcrusher33 12-27-2009 04:55 PM

I left sprint. ( even though i saved money and had sero yada yada yada..) I grew tired of all the call ins to fix stuff on my bill..( mostly from insurance claims..) twice they charged me 200 for saying i didnt return the faulty device..when in both cases i mailed them both back the very next day of getting my replacement.. I mean i got the credits back after 20 million calls back and forth.. etc.. I have been with sprint since 98 i believe...been through alot of calls to fix things..etc.. but alas i needed a change.. so i left sprint and went to t-mobile.. and so far i like t-mobile.. i called in twice so far for help. and they resolved everything within that one call.. and they were very nice... anyway rant over..

Sprint does have one problem.. high phone prices.. most people would rather pay next to nothing or around 100 bucks for a nice new smartphone.. etc.. not 350 after rebate..like the tp2.....hell i got me and my wife a tp2 free and free activation,, and a free bluetooth. with tmobile.. through that wmdeals.com.. now thats a steal.. hell even 199 with verizon is a decent price.. with sprint u make the money back through monthly plans.. but most people dont think like that.. they want that instant free phone or small upfront cost.. 99 like the iphone.. if sprint got the iphone it would be 200 after a 100 mail in rebate..lol i hate mail in rebates...just like gift card ruined xmas.. mail in rebates ruin pretty much everything electronic..

my point sprint has a decent lineup... but its a far cry from what verizon offers.. and they overpriced for that up front cost compared to everyone else.. sprint needs to think outside the box.. and attack everyone with their strengths and prices.. and show the future customers that they have the balls to do it.. again verizon has that going for them right now in how they are attacking att with the 3g coverage etc.. and its working.. and sprint just sits back with the boring sam ol same ol ads.. they should bring back that guy who did the pin drops etc.. bah im all over the place.. but im sure somewhere in my rant is a valid point..lol

robertrulez 12-28-2009 12:54 AM

I think Verizon had overall the best lineup, ATT second, sprint third, and tmobile last

but with the release of the hd 2 i think sprint will soon be last

basilray 12-28-2009 05:58 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say the ENTIRE US CELL MARKET is rather stale.

Where's my Snapdragon or Tegra phones? How many more piddly refreshes for every carrier are we going to have to sit through before we can finally get hands on with some fresh hardware?

spiritcrusher33 12-28-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basilray (Post 1442953)

Where's my Snapdragon or Tegra phones? How many more piddly refreshes for every carrier are we going to have to sit through before we can finally get hands on with some fresh hardware?

exactly..

ajac 12-28-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basilray (Post 1442953)

AT&T has the lg expo thiers ur snap..

beyond that lol well we just arent worthy I guess here in the states for some reason

dicast 12-29-2009 03:14 AM

AT&T can go to hell with their $30 data. Now what are we talking about? Sprint and their compelling lineup of smart phones, right. I got four line with sprint sero, that's the only reason I'm still with them. T-mobile looking really good now that HD2 is going to be on the list soon. Still love my TP2 I really wish sprint didn't charge so much for it. All and all I guess grass always greener on the other side. I'll be sprint for awhile even though my contract is up.

MrObvious 12-29-2009 04:05 AM

So you got a TP2 and an expired contract? Nice.

orangekid 12-29-2009 10:04 AM

T Mobile seems to be the clear winner here. Lowest prices, pretty good coverage (In a giant city like mine all 4 carriers get good reception except my friend with a bran new iphone 3G still can't get data at work) You can unlock almost any GSM phone to use it on T Mobile and the phones don't cost twenty thousand clams. I'm starting to think about leaving sprint for real.

johntiger 12-29-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akayareal (Post 1439978)
Sprints line up is probably very appealing to someone who is stepping into the smart phone world for the 1st time but for anyone who is constantly looking for the next best phone it sure isnt.

This will play a major factor in there success of there WiMax role out. Will they be able to raise the bar and flood the market with affordable to top notch smartphone headsets from various manufacturers?

Sorry to tell you but I worked for Sprint for 6 years and was recently fired for a customer service complaint..... B.S. ..... but they don't plan on releasing any phone with their 4G technology any time soon. Crazy I know I think they really think Clear (sprints venture into 4G wirless home servicea) will sell enough service and eat up enough bandwith that it wouldn't be smart to put it on phones. Because you know people are always watching video on our smart phones, but hey I guess if Cingular has a problem with the 3G Iphone eating up bandwith sprnt doesn't want to have the same problem

sah0724 12-29-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1444813)
T Mobile seems to be the clear winner here. Lowest prices, pretty good coverage (In a giant city like mine all 4 carriers get good reception except my friend with a bran new iphone 3G still can't get data at work) You can unlock almost any GSM phone to use it on T Mobile and the phones don't cost twenty thousand clams. I'm starting to think about leaving sprint for real.

Same here, I'm on Sero and I have the Touch Pro and I'm bored of the phone but Sprint seems to mess up alot especially with the customer service area.

My phone doesn't get good data in my job and I'm thinking of a new phone but Sprint phones are quite expensive.

I'm thinking about t-mobile as well.

acts 12-29-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1444813)

If we're talking plans for PDA/Smartphone, and line up of smart phones, Sprint still has the lowest price planwise. Even at 39.99 for T-mobile's cheapest 2 year contract plan, you have to add a $30.00 Data package, which brings the total up to $69.99. Any person can go to sprint.com/sero with the leaked vp e-mail + CID and get a data packaged plan for $59.99. This also does not include SERO, which technically doesn't exist.

As for smartphone lineup here is the full line-up:
Verizon: Motorola Droid, HTC Omnia, Samsung Saga, BB Storm, BB Storm 2, HTC Imagio, Omnia II, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro 2, BB Pearl 8230, BB 8830, BB 8703e, BB Curve 8330, BB 8530, BB Tour 9630, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Ozone

ATT: Iphone 3G, 3GS, Nokia E71x, Nokia Surge, Samsung Jack, Samsung Propel Pro, LC Incite, HTC Pure, HP iPAQ Glisten, LG eXpo, Nuvifone G60, HTC Tilt2, BB Pearl 8110, BB 8310, BB 8320, BB Curve 8900,

Sprint: Palm Centro, Samsung Ace, Palm Pixi, Palm Pre, Treo 755p, Motorola i920, Treo Pro, Samsung Intrepid, Samsung Moment, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Diamond 2, BB Tour 9630, BB Curve 8350i, B Curve 8330, BB Curve 8530, BB Pearl 8130

T-Mobile: TMobile Shadow, TMobile Sidekick, Sidekick LX, T-Mobile G1, Moto Cliq, MyTouch 3G, HTC Touch Pro 2, BB Pearl 8120, BB Pearl 8220, BB Curve 8900, BB 8820, BB 8700g, BB 8520

If you look at the lineups, i'd say blackberry's are a wash, everyone has them. Verizon has the most compelling lineup given the Omnias, Imagio and Storms along with the Motorola Droid. However, to say sprint's lineup is the worst isn't fair, the HTC phones are pretty much standard on every carrier, and sprint carries the Palm Pre, Pixi, Moment, which I would give the nod to anyday over the other garbage ATT is shoveling outside of its iPhone 3gs. I'd say the unique PDA's (which I've listed closer to the front of each carrier listing), Sprint's beat's out T-Mobile as well. It comes down to a matter of preference too, Treos or Sidekicks.

I'd say sprint's line up is pretty good, I wouldn't say great, but it's not the worst.

Also, yeah sprint phone prices are more expensive, but over 2 year contract, even 1 year, you make up the difference in monthly payments which people don't really consider. And if you upgrade in that 1 year increment, you still come out even against other carriers.

utropicmedia-karl 12-29-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gullzway (Post 1439753)
And what's up with their pricing. The Touch Pro 2 is the only phone I would consider and it is $349.99 WITH a contract renewal, come on really. I can but it right now on ebay NEW with no contract for $349.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-new-Sprint...item2a039babbe

I just got a sprint TP2 for 199. No one pays the prices listed on the site. Also with sprintbuyback.com I'll net out around 120 for the TP2.

gullzway 12-29-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl (Post 1445278)
I just got a sprint TP2 for 199. No one pays the prices listed on the site. Also with sprintbuyback.com I'll net out around 120 for the TP2.

Great, so how and where did you get it for $199??
Why do they put prices on their site if no one pays that.

I do see the $65 for a Diamond on buyback, that would be fine with me.

Edit: I just spoke with Reps at two different stores here in Tulsa and they basically laughed and said I'm not going to get it for less than $350 ($100 mail-in.) I said that is rediculous! So I assume you went through Retentions.

utropicmedia-karl 12-29-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gullzway (Post 1445556)
Great, so how and where did you get it for $199??
Why do they put prices on their site if no one pays that.

I do see the $65 for a Diamond on buyback, that would be fine with me.

Edit: I just spoke with Reps at two different stores here in Tulsa and they basically laughed and said I'm not going to get it for less than $350 ($100 mail-in.) I said that is rediculous! So I assume you went through Retentions.

I've been a corporate customer for almost 10 years. I went to the Sprint store closest to my house, though they had to order it as they don't stock them.

InvincibleLiving 12-29-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl (Post 1446209)
I've been a corporate customer for almost 10 years. I went to the Sprint store closest to my house, though they had to order it as they don't stock them.

besides being a corporate customer for 10 years, how did they come to offer it to you for that price? What did you say? I'm CERTAIN you didnt just walk in and they said "Here have it for $199"...

champ052005 12-30-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving (Post 1446980)
besides being a corporate customer for 10 years, how did they come to offer it to you for that price? What did you say? I'm CERTAIN you didnt just walk in and they said "Here have it for $199"...

I'm sure if you ask the retentions department nicely then I wouldn't be surprised if they give it to you for that price. Remember that every Sprint rep will tell you something else so if it doesn't work the first time, then try again.

I've heard of several people who have gotten this deal.

monkeyboy 12-31-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving (Post 1439806)
And why in the world is there such a price difference between Android devices and WinMo's?!!!! You can get a Hero for $180 after upgrade/rebate... but the TP2 is $350 after upgrade/rebate... and $100 more than what any other carrier is offering for the SAME device running the SAME specs?

the obvious reason is that Sprint's subsidy for the TP2 is at least $100-150 less than for a Hero and therefore Sprint can afford to let it on a legacy F&C or even SERO. A Hero, Pre etc OTOH is sold at such a low price (high subsidy) to compete with the $200 iPhone, that Sprint MUST recoup that subsidy by forcing the Everything plans with these phones. Verizon can sell the TP2 at $200 because its forced plan rates *are* also higher than SERO/F&C to allow recouping that subsidy (but take note of its outrageous ETF).

These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800. Supposing you do sell them contract for $200. You need to recoup at least $500-600 before you break even. That's $20-25/mo for 2 years. Exactly how can Sprint actually earn any money on $30-20=$10/mo for voice/text/data? That's why a $500-600 subsidy (Pre, Hero, etc) NEEDS to go on a $50-70/mo plan.

InvincibleLiving 12-31-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyboy (Post 1452073)
the obvious reason is that Sprint's subsidy for the TP2 is at least $100-150 less than for a Hero and therefore Sprint can afford to let it on a legacy F&C or even SERO. A Hero, Pre etc OTOH is sold at such a low price (high subsidy) to compete with the $200 iPhone, that Sprint MUST recoup that subsidy by forcing the Everything plans with these phones. Verizon can sell the TP2 at $200 because its forced plan rates *are* also higher than SERO/F&C to allow recouping that subsidy (but take note of its outrageous ETF).

These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800. Supposing you do sell them contract for $200. You need to recoup at least $500-600 before you break even. That's $20-25/mo for 2 years. Exactly how can Sprint actually earn any money on $30-20=$10/mo for voice/text/data? That's why a $500-600 subsidy (Pre, Hero, etc) NEEDS to go on a $50-70/mo plan.

I follow the logic of what you say except for where you say " These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800." Thats the entire problem right there, there's no reason these devices should ever retail for such an amount! I can now buy 2 PS3's for that same amount lol. And therein lies the problem with the whole celluar system, the costs are grossly over-inflated for the services rendered.

Dr.8820 12-31-2009 09:26 PM

the $199.99 deal is strictly for corporate or business owners only. you might catch a rep on a good day that will give this price to regular folks.

monkeyboy 01-01-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving (Post 1452146)
I follow the logic of what you say except for where you say " These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800." Thats the entire problem right there, there's no reason these devices should ever retail for such an amount! I can now buy 2 PS3's for that same amount lol. And therein lies the problem with the whole celluar system, the costs are grossly over-inflated for the services rendered.

I can't really agree with you, although I also can't lay out exact the costs involved. But first, you should realize that the retail price of a PS3 is also HEAVILY subsized by Sony. PS3 are sold at a loss, I believe at least at a $200-300 loss, with the intention of gaining that back with game sales (4 game sales easily brings back $200). So the unsubsidized retail price of a PS3 would be closer to $600-700. Here is a sample news item:
Quote:

Pricing the PlayStation 3 below its production cost caused Sony to lose $2.16 billion in 2007 and $1.16 billion in 2008, the company revealed today. Sony's fiscal 2008 annual report delineated potential risk factors to its investors, outlining that "the large-scale investment required during the development and introductory period of a new gaming platform may not be fully recovered."
Also consider that these smartphones like a TP2, are every bit as capable and sophisticated as a modern laptop, but in miniature form, which itself adds to the cost. Hesse has been quoted as confirming these prices and subsidy levels publicly, so the numbers I presented are not fiction.

Lastly, you seem to be conflating the cost of devices with the cost of wireless services. In any case, the bottomline is that Sprint has been losing money bigtime, so it is difficult to argue that they are overcharging in the broad scheme of things...

robertrulez 01-01-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyboy (Post 1452073)

completely untrue

touch pro 2s sell for 380 on ebay and thats without a contract, these people need to make a profit so obviously they retail way less

http://catalog.ebay.com/HTC-Touch-Pr...=p3286.c0.m271

monkeyboy 01-02-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertrulez (Post 1454048)
touch pro 2s sell for 380 on ebay and thats without a contract, these people need to make a profit so obviously they retail way less...

ebay is hardly the appropriate reference point for what retail pricing is...

InvincibleLiving 01-02-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyboy (Post 1453549)
I can't really agree with you, although I also can't lay out exact the costs involved. But first, you should realize that the retail price of a PS3 is also HEAVILY subsized by Sony. PS3 are sold at a loss, I believe at least at a $200-300 loss, with the intention of gaining that back with game sales (4 game sales easily brings back $200). So the unsubsidized retail price of a PS3 would be closer to $600-700. Here is a sample news item:

Also consider that these smartphones like a TP2, are every bit as capable and sophisticated as a modern laptop, but in miniature form, which itself adds to the cost. Hesse has been quoted as confirming these prices and subsidy levels publicly, so the numbers I presented are not fiction.

Lastly, you seem to be conflating the cost of devices with the cost of wireless services. In any case, the bottomline is that Sprint has been losing money bigtime, so it is difficult to argue that they are overcharging in the broad scheme of things...

Please don't feel the need to explain any of this to me, I completely know how the subsidy side of the cellular market works. Getting back to my main point: Sprint has the worst pricing structure of the major carriers when it comes to WinMo devices and that is a fact. The only person who pays for this in both senses of the word is US as consumers. We pay more because of their flimsy subsidizing deals, and we pay more because they roll out new WinMo devices only slightly more often than the planets align.

Tmobile customers can purchase a TP2 for $100 less than I can purchase my own Sprint Touch Diamond.... which STILL does not have a linear replacement/upgrade device anywhere in the announced future. No matter what you say, that's just wrong.

jamess661 01-02-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gullzway (Post 1439749)
I just noticed this quote on Sprint's website on the right side of the page while looking at their phones. Does anyone agree with this? I know I don't, in fact it seems they have the least compelling lineup, as I sit here with my Diamond wishing there was a phone worth using my upgrade credit on, which I've been eligible to do for a year now!

"Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones out of the four major US wireless carriers with the HTC Hero, Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro2, BlackBerry Tour, HTC Snap, and more..."
ZDNet. October 5, 2009.

Jan 2. 2010 I guess it depend on how you mean compelling i mean verizon got there own htc hero, and will be getting the palm pre, some time his year. everyone has the touch pro 2, i believe eveyone has the tour, the snap, sucks and they still have me waiting on a diamond 2 or whitestone ?? which vzw have already. Hell at&t should be getting the gsm hero, and the pixi like sprint has and verizon also so compelling maybe another word should be used. Maybe iam wrong vzw right now i think is beating sprint on handsets and iam not happy with that but what can i do and some of the leak's about t mobile sounds more compelling to me but i guess i will see just my way of looking at thing.

InvincibleLiving 01-02-2010 08:16 PM

Yeah, I vote that they change that phrase from "the most compelling" to "the most contempt inducing" lol

shaggylive 01-02-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 1439957)

has nobody been reading the news? sprint has launched 4g data, which is the future, also they will have the 'best' (cdma @least) in a few days.
also if i'm not mistaken sprint does have the largest selection of phones in general. several of most varieties. also keep in mind they have been having to maintain the nextel lineup, which will soon disappear allowing for more/better sprint phones.

att and verizon are the only ones that would possibly have a better lineup, but I personally don't think so.

dallastx 01-02-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 1456288)
has nobody been reading the news? sprint has launched 4g data, which is the future, also they will have the 'best' (cdma @least) in a few days.
also if i'm not mistaken sprint does have the largest selection of phones in general. several of most varieties. also keep in mind they have been having to maintain the nextel lineup, which will soon disappear allowing for more/better sprint phones.

att and verizon are the only ones that would possibly have a better lineup, but I personally don't think so.

ummmm.huh QUOTE=shaggylive "also they will have the 'best' (cdma @least) in a few days"

Im confused. So in 2-5 days sprint will be the best CDMA carrier off of what research? I love sprint, but what your saying dosent makes since.

acts 01-03-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving (Post 1454850)
Please don't feel the need to explain any of this to me, I completely know how the subsidy side of the cellular market works. Getting back to my main point: Sprint has the worst pricing structure of the major carriers when it comes to WinMo devices and that is a fact. The only person who pays for this in both senses of the word is US as consumers. We pay more because of their flimsy subsidizing deals, and we pay more because they roll out new WinMo devices only slightly more often than the planets align.

Tmobile customers can purchase a TP2 for $100 less than I can purchase my own Sprint Touch Diamond.... which STILL does not have a linear replacement/upgrade device anywhere in the announced future. No matter what you say, that's just wrong.

where are you getting your pricing info? because a quick look at tmobile web, a TP2 is $349, which is the equivalent of sprint, and even with $100 off that, it would still be more expensive than a Sprint Touch Diamond.

also, sprint's pricing structure is the worst upfront. like i outlined in my earlier post, even with TMobile's new pricing plan, sprint plans are still cheaper and you make the money back in the long run. furthermore, if you keep the phone longer than 1 year, and 2 years, you are saving money in the long run over other carriers. if you bail early by re-upping your contract, you still come out even against other carriers. the only thing I would agree with is the fact that there is no linear replacement for the diamond at the moment.

acts 01-03-2010 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 1456288)

4G is a joke if you don't have any phone selection that utilizes it. it's also a joke when outside of a few major cities, it doesn't work. it may be the future, but the other networks are going LTE and will hit 4G soon enough.

what do you mean by "best"? best network? best phone? also, sprint does NOT have the largest selection/most varieties, that goes to verizon if we are talking smartphones.

shaggylive 01-03-2010 07:37 AM

according to my zip sprint has 12 smartphones(not counting bb, sanyo, or lg), while verizon only has 10. (not counting bb)
we'll find out for sure tues or wed just what the best is, but all signs point to 1ghz android device on sprint. we'll have to see whether it comes with 4g capabilities.
regardless, since I actually looked at the selection available, I still gotta say sprint does have the more compelling lineup. really, who want's an omnia(1). :b

also, it looks like there are far more phones with real keyboards available on sprint too.

InvincibleLiving 01-03-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 1457297)
according to my zip sprint has 12 smartphones(not counting bb, sanyo, or lg), while verizon only has 10. (not counting bb)
we'll find out for sure tues or wed just what the best is, but all signs point to 1ghz android device on sprint. we'll have to see whether it comes with 4g capabilities.
regardless, since I actually looked at the selection available, I still gotta say sprint does have the more compelling lineup. really, who want's an omnia(1). :b

also, it looks like there are far more phones with real keyboards available on sprint too.

I hear ya, and you have a point there... but they won't be compelling to me until there is an upgrade available for my Diamond lol...