PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM
Carrier: Sprint

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What plan for Verizon and Droid is best?

Hi,

I'm considering switching from Sprint to Verizon and getting a Droid. Only thing is, the subscription plans are confusing.

Here's what I want:

Unlimited text/data
Web surfing
lowest minutes with nationwide (I don't ever go near 400 minutes/month)
Insurance

Anyone have any suggestions about which plan to consider?

thank you in advance.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

QrafTee is a n00b
Re: What plan for Verizon and Droid is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjsrik View Post
Hi,

I'm considering switching from Sprint to Verizon and getting a Droid. Only thing is, the subscription plans are confusing.

Here's what I want:

Unlimited text/data
Web surfing
Insurance

thank you in advance.
You're going to want the Select 450 Plan plus Web/Email Plan plus Extended Warranty.

That's $59.99 for the Select 450, $29.99 for the Web/Email Plan, and $1.99 for the Extended Warranty.

Totals to roughly $92.00 a month.

Depending on the type of warranty you want, you might want to consider the $5.99 Insurance (which covers lost/stolen as well) or the $7.99 total protection (which is the combination of both the extended warranty and the insurance) instead of just the $1.99 Extended Warranty.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

This is excellent advice. I had read in another thread, can't remember where now, that Verizon was charging double for a web/email plan once in the minutes plan and separately for a web/email plan. I was going through Amazon and saw this whole plan and yes, I plan on getting the full TEP.

and even better, I got a $50 gift certificate for beta testing some software so I can make this even cheaper.

thanks again

Last edited by sanjsrik; 11-12-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID
Carrier: VZdub

psooky is just getting started

Quote:
Hi,

Here's what I want:

Unlimited text/data
Web surfing
Insurance

thank you in advance.
Previous posters have prety much nailed it.

$59.99 Nationwide Select 450min / Unlimited Text
$29.99 Web/Email for Smartphone (unlimited data)
$6.00 Asurion Insurance for smartphones (or the $7.99 which includes extended warranty)

I wouldn't bother with the extended warranty. Rarely will there be a manufacturers defect after one year. When there is, they usually try to make it out to be physical damage (not covered under warranty) in which case you will be going through insurance anyways.

Quote:

This is excellent advice. I had read in another thread, can't remember where now, that Verizon was charging double for a web/email plan once in the minutes plan and separately for a web/email plan.
There is an Email&Messaging plan that includes the data (and text) in the voice plan. The data is the $44.95 unlimited data plan which isn't necessary in most cases. Bundling it saves $5 on 450 and 900 min plans compared to getting the data separately. On 1350+ it saves you $15. You cannot be double charged for data on these plans. In eRoes at least, when you select an Email&Messaging, it populates the feature list with only the $44.95 data plan (but it is $0.00 as the cost) or completely disabling nationwide access.

Don't forget to check the verizonwireless website to see if you can get an employee discount with your work also. I get a 22% discount because I had a citigroup email address at the time

Hello World!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

psooky, thank you for the advice about the warranty extension, interesting that I hadn't thought of that before. I have the full TEP on my current Sprint phone but you're right, no need for a warranty extension if it's really not going to give me much more than I have.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Veezy

wodurrah is becoming a great contributor

I have been with Verizon for years this is the best plan...But realize that Verizon just uped their early termination to $350...Get the 39.99 basic 450 plan plus 29.99 data and get one of the text packages...Unlimited is a lot. I text a lot per month and never go over 500. I got the $5 text plan and the 5.99 insurance. Dont get extended warranty its a scam. If your phone stops working just step on it and say you broke it.

in the end thats: 40+30+5+6= $81.00 there is also a 1500 text plan for $15...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

BryanGT is just getting started

The best plan's are family plans, If the rep is good enough and nice enough they'll woun't make you pay 30$ a month for data, since on a family plan is 20$ a month for additional phones data plans.

Right now I'm sharing through my business and I only pay 50$ a month 20 for phone 20$ for data and 10$ toward the bulk of the family plan, but for 5 phones with data and service and 1K mins its only 200ish$
Old 11-17-2009, 01:19 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: N/A

QrafTee is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGT View Post
The best plan's are family plans, If the rep is good enough and nice enough they'll woun't make you pay 30$ a month for data, since on a family plan is 20$ a month for additional phones data plans.

Right now I'm sharing through my business and I only pay 50$ a month 20 for phone 20$ for data and 10$ toward the bulk of the family plan, but for 5 phones with data and service and 1K mins its only 200ish$
I don't know about you, but I checked a family price package including 3 phones (2 smart phones, 1 dumb phone) and the data plan is still $29.99 for the first and second lines.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

BryanGT is just getting started

well to get the 20$ a month on data, you have to move from a lesser phone to the droid/eris. But with the 30day refundable phone deal you can get another phone and get data, and if your costumer rep is nice enough they'll transfer the 20$ rate.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid