PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 02:46 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Holy crap

i went to best buy tonight and got to look at a working droid. it is NICE. too bad im not spending $600 on one without contract. since im not due for an upgrade for quite a while i will just have to drool over it. but why i do i have a question. is there any way to see what apps are available in the apps store without having the phone? what sites do you guys recommend for free apps? figured i could get started now and figure out if i want to use the wifes upgrade to get one.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Holy crap

www.Androlib.com Every app available on the market is on that site with descriptions, reviews, and a QR code to scan with your phone for easy downloads I check the "top of the day" apps a few times each day just to see the new popular apps coming out

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:33 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

looks like if i want one and not pay $600 i will be using ebay. several on there for around $400. think i will hold off for a bit though. still want to know the quality of a moto phone after going through 7 moto phones between myself and the wife a couple of years ago.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylt1 View Post
looks like if i want one and not pay $600 i will be using ebay. several on there for around $400. think i will hold off for a bit though. still want to know the quality of a moto phone after going through 7 moto phones between myself and the wife a couple of years ago.
I don't know how far you are from your upgrade but it might be worth a phone call to VZW to see if you have the gift of talking them into an early upgrade (if you haven't tried already). It may be over now but back when the Droid was first released in November if you said the right thing to the right CS rep, they were giving some early upgrades to some lucky people. Some folk got nowhere trying and others were surprised how easy it was.

Yes, if you are a year or so off, probably not but if you are a couple months, it doesn't hurt to try them and see if there's any way they can get you into a Droid. Especially if you happen to be *cough* *cough* having some flaky problems with your current phone and really want to help VZW be a success with the Droid by "offering" to get one early.

I assume you are aware of the annual upgrade program and if you are eligible for that as opposed to the normal two-year (20 month) contract.

As for quality, I'm not sure how to help but I can say mine has been perfect. The only "hardware" problem was the loose battery cover that Moto replaced for free. I have followed multiple forums and have seen a few people take theirs back for replacement for various problems. However, I'm not sure how many of those were due to "user error" and it was just simple to do since they were under warranty. I don't think I recall hearing of a consistently bad component that was causing returns. Very early people were replacing trying to get cameras that worked better as some seemed to work better than others. I think we all found out later it was more of a software problem than hardware. I guess that's all I can offer. Good luck.

Last edited by JonV; 01-01-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

If you currently don't have a data plan there's a strong possibility that they'll help you upgrade over the phone. As long as your past the one year mark.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:35 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

One of the guys at my station had to have one after seeing mine and got his for 400.00 from ebay. No problems with his, I can find out what seller he bought from if you need it.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

if you like the droid, check out the eris, its just as nice if not better
Old 01-01-2010, 07:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

Causality is a n00b

These prices really may not reflect reality, merely your perception of them. I was an alltel import to the verizon world... And not too happy about it either. but thats another thread. Yesterday my roommate and I went to the mall here in Tucson to return some oakley sunglasses my mom got me for Christmas and while it was processing he went out to one of the al la carte shop things in the middle of the mall isle.

Anyway, I'm halfway through my alltel two year contract with the HTC Touch Pro, which I've despised regardless of the rom I threw on so I talk to the guy. I used my 'annual upgrade' to get the phone for $399... Then he took $30 off, then they used flipswap to take my POS Touch Pro for $75, then they took $100 mail in rebate off then phone so all told, I paid $95 dollars ($195+tax until it comes) for my Droid with NO extension to my contract. It still expires next December.

Anyway just thought I'd throw that out there... The place I went to was Diamond Wireless in the Tucson Mall. Obviously unless you're here thats irrelevent BUT the point stands that there are options out there.

OH! Additionally I went with the Diamond insurance in lieu of Verizons because that plan is indeed crap as well. With the third party insurance (which, really, they all are) I pay the $100 for a new replacement but also am allowed to upgrade should there be one available at the time of the claim... Something Verizon's absolutely will NOT do. They replace with a refurb.

Hope this helps a bit. One more positive. I was running silence ROM 6.5 on my HTC and they didn't care, they used a device to sync all 4188 texts, al of my contacts and all pics saved on the phone directly and accurately indexed to the Droid. No hassles. Then we hard reset and the HTC and I parted ways.

It worked out well for me. Might be worth the effort to inquire as to whether your locality has a comparable deal.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

the day before my brothers line was going to cancel we went in because he wanted the droid i was just like yeah whatever... and they gave us both droids and a new contract when my line still had over a year to go... no $20 or anything just straight out upgrades all round.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg83 View Post
if you like the droid, check out the eris, its just as nice if not better
no keyboard. i am hoping that HTC will introduce a android phone with a keyboard in the near future for VZN. which is the only reason im holding out.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid