PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X > Moto Droid X Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 1-Click Droid X Root/UnRoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesscoggin View Post
3g hotspot did come on the phone, but it also comes with a $20 fee on top of your $30 data plan,

Rooting allows fee-less wifi tethering, screen shot apps, and a whole host of root only programs that are availble for use only by rooted devices.
Thank you so much... so basically the same hold true with my TP2 from Verizon Good thing I flashed to a ROM that enabled free tethering

Do you have a link or two, where I can conduct research on Android 2.2, and all the awesomeness that comes along with it (since I'll be going Android very soon!), including the special list of programs that I install once I root the X (or Droid 2)? THANKS SO MUCH
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: d
Carrier: w

spudsmac is becoming a great contributor

So VZW says that they won't ship till the 18th, now do you think that by the time that phones ships, they will have patched the one-click root? I ask because I bought one for full price from ebay, then found out after the fact I could get one from VZW at the 2 year price. I ordered it and am debating which one to put on ebay, but if I can't root the legit one, I will keep the ebay one instead.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudsmac View Post
So VZW says that they won't ship till the 18th, now do you think that by the time that phones ships, they will have patched the one-click root? I ask because I bought one for full price from ebay, then found out after the fact I could get one from VZW at the 2 year price. I ordered it and am debating which one to put on ebay, but if I can't root the legit one, I will keep the ebay one instead.
I'm getting the Droid 2, which comes out on the 12th, just waiting for the Pre Order. But I wanted to chime in, and say I'm sure if they do 'patch' it, another root program will come out literally moments after that!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 soon to be Driod X

kevmueller is keeping up the good workkevmueller is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudsmac View Post
It may say they will ship on the 18th, but don't believe it. I ordered mine Friday and it said will ship by the 18th. Yesterday I got the e-mail saying my order was completed with a FedEx shipping code and when I track it my DroidX will be here Wednesday!!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: DroidX

Nator is a n00b

Thank you very much for the root.

Being a newbie to this, however, I can't seem to figure out how to get the tether to work. I have "Superuser Permissions" as an application, however, I didn't find tethering in the WiFi setting. Am I missing something or is there some place I can get additional information?

Nator
Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

You have to download & install the wireless tether from the marketplace.

It will not work if the phone is not rooted first.

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
You have to download & install the wireless tether from the marketplace.

It will not work if the phone is not rooted first.

~John
So rooting should come before ANYTHING else, once we purchase the phone? Based on the usual time line for all previous releases over the past year or so, how long is it until a Root is available with the Droid 2 is launched on August 12th?

I'm most interested in the wifi tethering in "Infrastructure Mode" meaning that devices that can't connect to "Ad-Hoc" hotspots will be able to get online, such as the PS3 - which will FINALLY allow me to play on-line and watch Netflix streaming (without having to buy a $160 cradle point mobile router, or go through 100 steps to share my laptop's wifi)!

PS: Where should new D2 owners keep their eyes peeled for the first 'official' Root for the phone?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: verizon

Zaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
So rooting should come before ANYTHING else, once we purchase the phone? Based on the usual time line for all previous releases over the past year or so, how long is it until a Root is available with the Droid 2 is launched on August 12th?

I'm most interested in the wifi tethering in "Infrastructure Mode" meaning that devices that can't connect to "Ad-Hoc" hotspots will be able to get online, such as the PS3 - which will FINALLY allow me to play on-line and watch Netflix streaming (without having to buy a $160 cradle point mobile router, or go through 100 steps to share my laptop's wifi)!

PS: Where should new D2 owners keep their eyes peeled for the first 'official' Root for the phone?
Ad-Hoc only for Tethering.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod-Beeblebrox View Post
Ad-Hoc only for Tethering.
OMJ a moderator pointed me to an Android tethering app that supports Infrastructure Mode here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...84&postcount=8

He was playing Call of Duty simply by broadcasting his EVOs WiFi!

Plus this app in the store says it can share with PS3, but maybe this one is through a PC? http://store.ppcgeeks.com/product.as...4&n=EasyTether

Last edited by HTC Touch-Pro; 08-08-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

yeah, Easy tether supports sharing with PS3 through a PC, and wifi tether doesn't support infrastructure on the X yet.

Nokia6110 - RazrV3 -LG8700 ------TP1 ---Imagio -- Tbolt - RazrMaxx
----MotoV710 -LG8600 - XV8600 ------TP2 ----DroidX - Gnex -RazrMaxxHD
(Palm T5, VZW-Xoom,VZW Xyboard)
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X > Moto Droid X Development