PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > LG Fathom

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom VS750V7
Carrier: Verizon

trysomeothertime is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: NEW LG Fathom Owner

You mentioned gps. I use Garmin mobile xt, but since day 1, GPS fix was just terrible. Often it took 10 minutes for a lock, but sometimes it wouldn't work at all. Any idea wha settings to tweak, and what settings to use in QuickGPS?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom, Palm T|X, MotoQ9c, Jornada 567

pizzaboy192 is keeping up the good workpizzaboy192 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pizzaboy192 Send a message via MSN to pizzaboy192 Send a message via Skype™ to pizzaboy192

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysomeothertime View Post
You mentioned gps. I use Garmin mobile xt, but since day 1, GPS fix was just terrible. Often it took 10 minutes for a lock, but sometimes it wouldn't work at all. Any idea wha settings to tweak, and what settings to use in QuickGPS?

Thanks
On my phone I use Google Maps (Unlimited Data plan) and QuickGPS. Alternatively, you can create a shortcut to GPSOneApp.exe in the windows folder.
I have QuickGPS Lite 1.5 from freewarepocketpc (or one of those sites, I can just attach it if you can't find it. I think I got it from oMarket)
All I did options wise was to set it to the US server, and push the "return" button.
Let it download the new settings, fire up Google Maps and within a few seconds it should lock.

Other thing I did was set the GPS to COM4. I found that tip somewhere else. Works well for alot of older programs that rely on GPS. (You need to set it to COM4 in both Windows Mobile Settings and in Google Maps settings for it to work that way though. Otherwise Automatic works fine as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: sch-i760
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

campos is a n00b

Quote:

Thanks
good question... i haven't figured out how to enable gps on my phone yet.

pizzaboy many of my issues have been resolved.

i had posted that i couldn't use opera... i was the problem. on my old i760 you had to press firmly on the screen to click on links.. i was doing the same with the fathom.. the screen has better sensitivity. i just tap the screen and the option/function/link is selected...WOW!

verizon included an extended battery but the incorrect batter cover... i called them and 2x they sent the wrong cover... hopefully this time it gets resolve.

i noticed that when i tether via wireless or cable, if the battery is low it directly affects internet performance.

on my old i760 i could tether via usb and it would charge the phone at the same time, with the fathom i can't, even though the recharging icon is displayed in the sys tray.

is this only an issue with extended batteries? will having an unextended battery resolve this.

i had an issue today with ebay.. on ie and opera. i won an auction, i clicked the pay it now function and it would not work. i did a soft reset, when back to the auction and i still couldn't use that function.

does ebay/amazon/paypal have apps for wm6.5?

i'm really liking this phone... its much much better than my i760.. wmwifirouter is still working flawlessly... every device i've used so far has been able to connect to my fathoms signal.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Send a message via AIM to pizzaboy192 Send a message via MSN to pizzaboy192 Send a message via Skype™ to pizzaboy192

About the battery: Didn't know there was an extended one. Might have to look into that. I've been using the standard one and get a good day out of it (I charge it every night. Might as well.)
About the USB charging. You need atleast a 1A USB port (You can either make your own charge+data cable that goes into the phone charger for power and PC for data. I've got one at home (I'm at school, so I can't share pictures) but it works). My desktop provides "3x power" so I haven't had those issues. I also have had good luck using WiFi or Bluetooth as a network setup.
The Fathom likes to burn battery while on 3g. It's a common problem and I haven't found a solution yet. It seems to work best if you have it charged or close to it while tethered. I had issues with most sites that you can buy stuff with on this phone (and a HTC TP2) I just chalk it up to dated phone browser VS modern webpage stuff.

Don't think there's apps for Ebay\Amazon\Paypal, but there's probably a solution. You could try using PIE for buying stuff.

I saw on XDA that another user has found a way to create custom ROMs, but they haven't posted much about it for over a month. Hopefully they get somewhere soon. I want a nicer, cleaner, proper ROM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Pizzaboy192, which US server are you using?

What are the cold start times with/without QuickGPS?

Also did you find that you get a significant battery life decrease when you keep GPS on at all times?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Pizzaboy192, which US server are you using?

What are the cold start times with/without QuickGPS?

Also did you find that you get a significant battery life decrease when you keep GPS on at all times?

Thanks!
Cold start for full phone boot or just GPS lock?
Full boot hasn't changed. You have to tell quickGPS to download a file each time.
Lock times:
Without: 5-6Minutes if it ever does.
With: 15 seconds - 2 minutes. Guaranteed lock if you've got decent cell coverage (not being in a building\basement)

the version of QuickGPS Lite (notice the Lite part) means that I tell it to download the file whenever I want, not at boot. In settings, it has the server pre-defined for the file. I just clicked the US radio button and hit apply.

I have been able to successfully run the phone for a full day in town (from 9AM to 5PM) with a GPS lock and didn't notice too much of a difference between that and a normal day of use for me in class (7AM to 3PM)
If I'm using an application that is written poorly and keeps the screen on while locked, there is noticeable drain from using the display. You can get about 10 hours of locked GPS with time to spare.

I haven't turned off the "Location On" setting on my phone since I got it. I can go about 18 hours on a charge easily. (7AM to 12AM usually, sometimes up to 2AM). Battery drains faster with a GPS lock, but it won't even try to lock until an application requests it. I also keep bluetooth on as well. No difference between this semester and last semester when I kept bluetooth off (got a headset this summer, hence the change)
I have noticed an increase between battery life between V7 and V5. V5 ROM gives me a good 2+ hours of extra life over the V7 rom (various reasons, less RAM used, no GPRS Attach issues.)
V5 rom also seems more stable. I haven't had to soft-reset my phone in over a week. V7 was about once a day from some random crash. I haven't done a pure restart yet, as I restored from a V7 backup. It could be even better if I start from scratch (but that requires time)

Hope some of that helps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Thanks for the replies, pizzaboy192! I recently gave up my Fathom and swapped it for an HTC Trophy. I was planning to buy another Fathom, as Windows Phone 7 is really not working out for me as well as I thought it would.

If I buy the unlocked version from amazon, it will probably come with V4 on it. Do you know how to update from V4 to V5 and NOT V7?

(I used V7, and the 3G connection drops would drive me crazy...it would often just disconnect ALL wireless whatsoever for a few minutes!)

Thanks again
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, pizzaboy192! I recently gave up my Fathom and swapped it for an HTC Trophy. I was planning to buy another Fathom, as Windows Phone 7 is really not working out for me as well as I thought it would.

If I buy the unlocked version from amazon, it will probably come with V4 on it. Do you know how to update from V4 to V5 and NOT V7?

(I used V7, and the 3G connection drops would drive me crazy...it would often just disconnect ALL wireless whatsoever for a few minutes!)

Thanks again
I posted a modified walkthrough on my blog. (it is a few posts back)
I link to another blog and give the proper commands to flash v5 to it.
blog is at pizzaboy192.com/blog/ (redirects to WordPress)

the v5 Rom file is available at lg-phones.com (I think)
I'm on my tablet right now, so I hope this isn't too vague for you. I did it myself so I can help you through it too.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 AM
VIP n00b
Pocket PC: LG Fathom

da_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPda_reeseboy is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 View Post
I posted a modified walkthrough on my blog. (it is a few posts back)
I link to another blog and give the proper commands to flash v5 to it.
blog is at pizzaboy192.com/blog/ (redirects to WordPress)

the v5 Rom file is available at lg-phones.com (I think)
I'm on my tablet right now, so I hope this isn't too vague for you. I did it myself so I can help you through it too.
I'm uploading the v5 cab file right now to make it a little easier to track down. I'll post a link as soon as its done.
@pizzaboy192 - by tablet do you mean HP Touchpad? if so, how is it working out? What have you done to it so far?

Edit: v5 rom - http://hotfile.com/dl/130589441/cc46...06.R5.cab.html
blog post pizzaboy is referring to on his blog - http://pizzaboy192.wordpress.com/201...est-idea-ever/

Last edited by da_reeseboy; 09-24-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_reeseboy View Post
I'm uploading the v5 cab file right now to make it a little easier to track down. I'll post a link as soon as its done.
@pizzaboy192 - by tablet do you mean HP Touchpad? if so, how is it working out? What have you done to it so far?

Edit: v5 rom - Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: VS750ZV5_06.SV5_06.P58006.R5.cab
blog post pizzaboy is referring to on his blog - Just flashed to V5 from V7 on the Fathom. Best Idea Ever. « Pizzaboy192's anonymous ramblings
didn't even think of uploading the Rom and tools to my site. Might have to do that. Thanks for the mirror of the Rom though.

as per tablet:it is indeed the TouchPad. Got 2 during the sale. Only reinforces my dislike for on-screen keyboards.
I have put preware on it, overclocked it to 1.5ghz and applied plenty of patches. No ubuntu or android. I like webOS.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > LG Fathom