PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Telus HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS

drperry is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Poll: Your chargers speed? Post you results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeans View Post
Gotta question. I am new to the HTC Touch Pro, just switched from a blackberry, and I was reading your charging rates here, and some of you said that you required a fan, or putting it on the ac vent to keep it cool while charging. I put mine on my dresser, and use the stock charger. I bought a "oem" (so they say) charger for the car off eBay and sometimes leave it in the car to charge. Will the phone stop charging if it gets to that point? Maybe I misread your postings, but the last thing I want to happen is burn my house down because I was trying to charge my cell phone unattended.

If your JUST charging, you're fine...

It's the people who are using their phone for WiFi and internet for their computers that only have that issue.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 6850
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

travissand is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeans View Post
Gotta question. I am new to the HTC Touch Pro, just switched from a blackberry, and I was reading your charging rates here, and some of you said that you required a fan, or putting it on the ac vent to keep it cool while charging. I put mine on my dresser, and use the stock charger. I bought a "oem" (so they say) charger for the car off eBay and sometimes leave it in the car to charge. Will the phone stop charging if it gets to that point? Maybe I misread your postings, but the last thing I want to happen is burn my house down because I was trying to charge my cell phone unattended.
Chargers typically limit them selfs so they dont have a melt down. So does the phone.

If your oem charger was under $20 its fake and will charge VERY SLOW. It wont keep up with talking and charging at the same time. Most PPC wont charge if the phone gets to hot. The phone will get to hot to charge if the wifi is in heavy use, or the GPS is on and you are talking on the phone at the same time, even pulling the phone out of your pocket on a warm day, or the phone is in the sun... I live in Hawaii and the sun is very powerful here. Its is a constant battle for me to keep my phone cool. I talk 4,000 minutes a month on the bluetooth headset, drive a tow truck and use the GPS a LOT, provide internet to my laptop via the wifi all day.

Only one out of five cheap chargers start to smoke and melt in my case. It got very hot and stinky the first time I used it. It was smoking and melting as I unplugged it on the 3rd night of use. It was rated for 1 Amp but could not handle it. And 2 out of ten just smell real bad then quit working. If your charger is not getting real hot and smelly you have nothing to worry about leaving it unattended.

I think I will make a new program for my phone called "Pocket Warmer" or "hand warmer" that turns on all the radios and simulates use of them and the cpu, I'll use it with my extended battery and show it off at the ski resort. Heck iv seen electric gloves that actually work enough to be usable and use only 2 D batteries.

Last edited by travissand; 11-27-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 6850
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

travissand is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
If your JUST charging, you're fine...

It's the people who are using their phone for WiFi and internet for their computers that only have that issue.
I was "JUST charging" when my first cheap charger was melting.

I was also JUST charging when the 2nd and 3rd Motorola chargers got hot and smelly and stopped working. They where only rated for 300mA but I thought they would limit them selfs so they dont blow there fuse. They did not limit them selfs. I did not cut them open to inspect the fuse but I'm very confident that the fuse blowing is why they stopped working instead of melt.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Telus HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS

drperry is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by travissand View Post
Chargers typically limit them selfs so they dont have a melt down. So does the phone.

If your oem charger was under $20 its fake and will charge VERY SLOW. It wont keep up with talking and charging at the same time. Most PPC wont charge if the phone gets to hot. The phone will get to hot to charge if the wifi is in heavy use, or the GPS is on and you are talking on the phone at the same time, even pulling the phone out of your pocket on a warm day, or the phone is in the sun... I live in Hawaii and the sun is very powerful here. Its is a constant battle for me to keep my phone cool. I talk 4,000 minutes a month on the bluetooth headset, drive a tow truck and use the GPS a LOT, provide internet to my laptop via the wifi all day.

Only one out of five cheap chargers start to smoke and melt in my case. It got very hot and stinky the first time I used it. It was smoking and melting as I unplugged it on the 3rd night of use. It was rated for 1 Amp but could not handle it. And 2 out of ten just smell real bad then quit working. If your charger is not getting real hot and smelly you have nothing to worry about leaving it unattended.

I think I will make a new program for my phone called "Pocket Warmer" or "hand warmer" that turns on all the radios and simulates use of them and the cpu, I'll use it with my extended battery and show it off at the ski resort. Heck iv seen electric gloves that actually work enough to be usable and use only 2 D batteries.
I can use my GPS for 4 - 5 hours straight and my phone charges just fine... And as long as I turn off TF3D, it doesn't get too hot at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travissand View Post
I was "JUST charging" when my first cheap charger was melting.

I was also JUST charging when the 2nd and 3rd Motorola chargers got hot and smelly and stopped working. They where only rated for 300mA but I thought they would limit them selfs so they dont blow there fuse. They did not limit them selfs. I did not cut them open to inspect the fuse but I'm very confident that the fuse blowing is why they stopped working instead of melt.
Electronics will always attempt to pull the amperage they need.

If you tried using a charger that was rated for 300mA, you shouldn't be surprised you cooked it...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
car charger, charges slow, faster charger, rapid cahrger, wont charge