PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 07:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: herman <- titan <- apache
Carrier: cricket

krielys is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint HTC Touch Pro - Unlimited Data Plan

im not with sprint, but most likely they have a size limit written in fine print somewhere. i highly suggest you get a program to monitor your internet usage, if you decide to ignore the rep. after a certain amount of data has been transferred, they may decide to throttle your connection (make it reallllly slow) or cut you off completely.

edit: im not sure if you have this plan or not but heres an example limit..
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9949646-1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
I am on a family unlimited data plan. Wife has a basic flip phone, I have HTC Touch Pro and friend who is on my plan has my old WM5 phone. I and friend use the data. Wife does not.

I chatted with sprint this afternoon and apparently unlimited data does not mean I can use my phone as a 'net' source for my laptop. I would have to cancel my unlimited data and add on a 45 dollar service to do this? I asked for clarification and was told that unlimited data plans are for phones only... I have to drop that service and add on the other 'phone as modem' service.

Is this chat rep correct? Unlimited data on the phone or on my laptop seems like the same data. I browse a forum on my phone or I browse it on my laptop through my phones data connection. What gives? Any way around this?

Last edited by krielys; 07-16-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

wildpig is keeping up the good workwildpig is keeping up the good work

you can also try wmodem and use your phone as a dial up modem and get your laptop to dial into sprint data service (#777).

also search around here for a registry setting that might help with preventing sprint from knowing you are tethering.

The wmodem can be found in the HTC titan forum somewhere.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:59 PM
VIP n00b
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

Rusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Rusty Duck

Just as a FYI - there is a Sprint limit and I believe it is 5G per month (or something like that). This is true for all data plans. There are many horror stories of folks getting large phones bills for going over this limit.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsousan View Post
Just as a FYI - there is a Sprint limit and I believe it is 5G per month (or something like that). This is true for all data plans. There are many horror stories of folks getting large phones bills for going over this limit.
I thought phone data was unlimited and the 5gb was only for PAMs and modem cards?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

sheureka is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
I thought phone data was unlimited and the 5gb was only for PAMs and modem cards?
You're right, the 5gb limit is only on PAM and cards. BUT if the data usage is just ridiculously high Sprint may figure out there's a tether and cut you off - though I've never heard of it happening. - sheureka
Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Jedi Master

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheureka View Post
You're right, the 5gb limit is only on PAM and cards. BUT if the data usage is just ridiculously high Sprint may figure out there's a tether and cut you off - though I've never heard of it happening. - sheureka
I remember some crazy thing about testing the 5gb limit every 3 months or something. I don't remember the specifics, but it seems they are relatively lenient about data usage, but just need a way to cut off really crazy users.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 PM
VIP n00b
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

Rusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Rusty Duck

I know one of the sprint finance guys and they watch this very closely... They are well aware of the data work arounds (pisses them off really bad) hehe...
Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsousan View Post
I know one of the sprint finance guys and they watch this very closely... They are well aware of the data work arounds (pisses them off really bad) hehe...
hahah aware as in they can detect it or aware in that they can't do jack about it?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Spring
Threadstarter

dinanm3atl is a n00b

I understand... wonder how much I actually use. Like if you browse a forum for 20 minutes. What are we talking?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
I understand... wonder how much I actually use. Like if you browse a forum for 20 minutes. What are we talking?
You should be fine as long as you don't download lots of torrents or movies and the like. You can even stream occasionally and not have a problem. If all you're doing is browse websites without video and don't download, I'd be surprised if you download more than 1GB. You can check on Sprint.com your current data usage.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro