PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre baby!
Carrier: Sprint

z28marols1 is keeping up the good workz28marols1 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Simple Instructions for Tethering Touch Pro on Sprint

Something everybody MUST know while getting these instructions here and executing them:

Technically speaking by doing this you are violating your Terms of Service contract which specifies that unless you're paying for a "Phone as Modem" or PAM plan you may not tether or otherwise share your devices internet connection with another device. They can tell by the type of usage when you are tethering, even with the registry hack. That said, typically unless you're abusing it (ie. going over 5GB/month) they will not bother you about it. As quoted by employees at a sprint store, they would rather keep you as a customer then argue with you over something like that. The ppl who have been contacted are usually just told that theyre supposed to be paying for the service and will have it added to their plan if they keep using it.

So.... use at your own risk. There are a lot of threads with ppl talking about using it as their primary internet connection and using WAY more than 5GB/month and Sprint not doing anything about it. I personally use it as a backup connection when Cox is down.

...Just want you guys to be fully educated on the subject.

Last edited by z28marols1; 03-03-2009 at 11:31 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre baby!

z28marols1 is keeping up the good workz28marols1 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWife View Post
OKAY, so I just tried it....AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!

Woot-Woot! *happy!*

Just a couple more questions:

I first installed the cab that pjf357 provided the link to for the tethering. Is that what is providing the icon that says "Internet Sharing" or did that option come with the phone?

Will I be charged an extra fee from Sprint for using the data? I currently have an unlimited data plan.

Thanks so much for making this easy and giving me step by step instructions...you have no idea how grateful I am!
oh, and the cab/reg edits work around sprints built in stop to this. the phone comes with ICS stock, however it is locked to "Phone as Modem" network instead of "Sprint" network. If your not paying for a PAM plan, you cant access that network and therefor ICS will give you an error when trying to connect. The cab/regedit changes the network ICS accesses to "Sprint", which is the network you have access to so your phone has internet access. Hope I cleared that up for ya.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro 2!

pjf357 is keeping up the good workpjf357 is keeping up the good work

Yep same here don't go crazy downloading huge files. It's great for casual browsing on the road or as a backup. I personally keep it to a minimum (under 5 gigs usually way less.) It is technically free but don't go poking the lion in the cage
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

gxip is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

OMG OP SEARCH!!!! lol...i'm j/k

From what I understand, or read anyways wmwifirouter allows you to do it without it being detected by sprint... not certain if it's true or not... Glad you could get it working btw...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:30 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWife View Post
OKAY, so I just tried it....AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!

Woot-Woot! *happy!*

Just a couple more questions:

I first installed the cab that pjf357 provided the link to for the tethering. Is that what is providing the icon that says "Internet Sharing" or did that option come with the phone?

Will I be charged an extra fee from Sprint for using the data? I currently have an unlimited data plan.

Thanks so much for making this easy and giving me step by step instructions...you have no idea how grateful I am!

I haven't seen anyone that has been charged yet just don't do it while your roaming as they can cancel your contract. so... they could charge you but you'll have to play the odds. I have watched 2-3 movies a week with this method sence nov and they haven't said anything to me.

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 AM
War is the answer!

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community

d@mn yall are quick. Im gonna have to pick up my game here.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Agree with other posters in this thread. I would not advise you using this as your sole internet. Sprint can kick you off for abusing the network. I only use tethering if I am on a trip or if my home service is down.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: N/a

Nimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on rep

They can detect you at any moment if you abuse this. ICS is not meant to be used as a primary internet connection but as a back up for casual light browsing. You are NOT paying for a household Internet connection, just for Internet usage from your phone.

The usage CANNOT be disguised by any software/hardware hacks. As long as you are using the Sprint servers they will detect it no matter what. No program will hide you.

Use it, don't abuse it. Again, it is not meant to serve as primary Internet access.

If people start abusing this, let's all kiss it good bye. Don't feel proud about it because you are "cheating" the system. It's like the insurance... Why do you think the deductible is going up to $100? Yes, abuse.

Last edited by Nimdock; 03-04-2009 at 05:45 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 AM
War is the answer!

I think he will get the point now. No need to beat a dead horse.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: N/a

Nimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler View Post
I think he will get the point now. No need to beat a dead horse.
I am definitely not trying to beat a dead horse. But it is a message board and I guess we all can express what we think in an open thread. I didn't flame or offend. But I do have strong feelings on the matter. Specially since he stated he planned to use it to replace his household Internet connection.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro