PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

hsanchez is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: SMS/Text Messages Type SLOW

hard reset. install apps one by one and find the culprit.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

Playaplaya1132 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Playaplaya1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsanchez View Post
hard reset. install apps one by one and find the culprit.
Had a feeling someone would say to do that. I have tomorrow off. Looks like I'm busy now.... The life of customizing never ends!
PPC-6700
Old 02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: bell

ryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to ryallchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playaplaya1132 View Post
I've done the same as nerdtalker. Everything is disabled and I've been modding HTC phones for 2 years now. PPCGeeks has helped so much over the years I've really never had to post but this issue just hasn't been talked about and I cannot figure out why. Are most people happy with their texting speeds? My Apache texted quicker than this thing and has a fraction of the ram. Any ideas how to speed up the texting. Only way it can keep up is if i use the on screen keyboard but that's just because I'm retarded and can't use it for ****. I didn't get a diamond I got a Touch Pro.... FOR THE KEYBOARD lol someone please help!
lol did you happen to search....i just did and your the 639065 person to talk about it, i dont believe there are many ppl out there that are happy with the speed
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO-tastic!
Carrier: Campbells/Green Giant/string

pirate is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
All of the ROMs still haven't fixed this issue. It is slowly driving me nuts; I do around 14,000 texts a month between my co-workers, girlfriend, family, google, facebook, e.t.c. and the slow text composing problem is seriously wearing my nerves down.

Before all of you tell me to disable T9, yes, it is disabled. Yes, I've run the xt9-disable .cab file, yes, I clear "my words" and have it turned off on every virtual keyboard, in the input settings, e.t.c. Trust me, I've already done it. What's that? I missed something somewhere? NO. Trust me, I already have disabled it eight ways-to-Tuesday.

I love my Touch Pro. I loved the HTC phones I've had before it, but this is absolutely inexcusable. I have no idea what the problem is with composing a simple SMS, but the keyboard and input are literally so slow that I generally wait an eternity after I stop typing for the input to catch up to me. What the heck is going on with this 600-whatever MHz device that it can't even keep up with my typing? Honestly. Why is this not a bigger issue? Does anybody else even text? Wasn't the whole point of the Touch Pro to have a keyboard?

Out-of-box this was an issue. Months later, it is _still_ an issue. There isn't any fix. Someone out there somewhere, please strip out every last trace of the custom HTC keyboard crap. All of it. Give me the default, crappy-looking, windows mobile soft keyboard and the default auto-correct. Please. I will seriously donate $50, $100, whatever, to anyone who can finally figure this out. I've tried, and I've given up.

Well, here's a go at it. Install this .cab and let me know if it works for you. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: cab TouchPro KBSPD.cab (1.1 KB, 64 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 AM
GTX Team Member
Pocket PC: Epic! (Evo and TP2 on standby)

Scientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Have you tried checkout out this thread?

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...t=keyboard+lag
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Playaplaya1132 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
Well, here's a go at it. Install this .cab and let me know if it works for you. Good luck!
Not sure what the .cab was supposed to do. But no same speeds.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Playaplaya1132 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Have you tried checkout out this thread?

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...t=keyboard+lag

Open both cabs with Notepad, they change the same 2 registry entries. And as seen in the above post quoted link, I have turned off T9, auto correct and auto suggest.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 AM
GTX Team Member
Pocket PC: Epic! (Evo and TP2 on standby)

Scientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Did you make the registry edits manually? They seemed to eliminate the keyboard lag whenever I send text messages.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Visor Prism (old) -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO: 500 Fair and Flexible ($30/mo unlimited everything, 500 min)

nerdtalker is keeping up the good worknerdtalker is keeping up the good work

I agree with the earlier poster who said something along the lines of "my apache texted faster than this," and honestly, it's true.

Sometimes, I pull it out and just type on the keyboard. I'm amazed by how fast texting is on it. Something as simple as composing an SMS seems to make my Touch Pro absolutely slow to a halt.

I'm going to try the cab posted above, but honestly, I've tried just about everything out there. I'm not running the battery meter (no battery meters, ever, I've never found them handy), and I've already made registry edits to the keyboard -> repeat rate and delay settings, to no avail.

The problem is twofold for me:
1. Sometimes, the system takes a long time to even recognize the hardware keyboard. I will sometimes be typing, only to look down and see that the compose screen missed the first 1 or 2 keystrokes. This is maddeningly frustrating.
2. (ALWAYS happens) Keyboard input is slow. Letters drag in at a slow-and-steady constant speed. Imagine typing an entire sentence, looking down, and watching the sentence appear slowly like S.... L.... O... W.... L... Y.... This is frustrating because you only know about typing mistakes after you're either somewhere else in the sentence, and because I have to wait the 20-30 seconds, staring at the screen before I can hit send.

I know this has been talked about a lot. I've tried literally _all_ the different custom ROMs people build in the upgrades section, as well as multiple base ROMs from the Kitchen. I'm no n00b; I've been flashing and using the Kitchens since Apache days. (more of a lurker than a poster), but this issue with the TP has been latent and lingered on since just about day one.

Honestly, I blame the entire XT9 and HTC custom soft keyboard subsystem. I've noticed a lot that even though XT9 is disabled, it will still populate the My Words database. This requires constant clearing, at which point it goes faster temporarily, and then slows down gradually. If possible, I'd like to disable this and every other input-assist. THe issue doesn't appear to be one with the keyboard itself (since email, web, notes, every other app do not have the input-lag issues), but rather with some customizations which are designed to aid one-handed operation in the SMS compose screen.

Why these are even included is beyond me (again, the touch pro is a two-handed device with a hard keyboard; why would I _ever_ use the on-screen soft keyboard? Please just nuke it. I never want it, ever, except for typing ~ now and then).

A box of mine:
Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO-tastic!
Carrier: Campbells/Green Giant/string

pirate is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Did you make the registry edits manually? They seemed to eliminate the keyboard lag whenever I send text messages.
My .cab worked then?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro