PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Setting up Remote Desktop (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57322)

steveoski 02-11-2009 07:58 PM

Setting up Remote Desktop

I have been at this for days and cannot get my computer to connect evdo to remote desktop. I went to ipchicken and got my ip address and set it all up but to no avail. I was able to get it connected using the wifi on my home network but thats it, as soon as i leave nothing..... I do not have a static ip and so i think i can use a DNS or something like that. If anyone has a solution to this or knows how to get it working please help!! Thanks!!

apinkel 02-11-2009 08:07 PM

Re: Setting up Remote Desktop

I'm assuming you are using MS's RDP client... I didn't have any luck getting that to work and ended up switching to logmein (free). It has some features that MS's RDP doesn't support, there's no messing with dynamic dns stuff, it handles scaled resolutions better, and it's really responsive.

Of course if you have a locked down PC that only allows MS's RDP this isn't any help but if you can install software on the PC I highly recommend looking into logmein.

dagnasty 02-11-2009 08:09 PM

Make sure that you open the port on your router. www.portforward.com has good tutorials on how to do it. Just select your model router and the software that you would like to use.

steveoski 02-11-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagnasty (Post 707475)
Make sure that you open the port on your router. www.portforward.com has good tutorials on how to do it. Just select your model router and the software that you would like to use.

what port am i supposed to forward too?

majorassface 02-11-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveoski (Post 707542)

RDP default port is 3389
I've got RDP working on my Diamond and don't use a third party app. If you're behind a router than you will have to setup a dns, it's real easy just do a google search and you will find a million tuts. Forward port 3389 to your PC and make sure your firewall rules allow it. That's it, then on your phone hit RDP, enter the dns you set for your router as the computer name and then your pc user name and pswd and it works. Let me know if you have trouble.

dagnasty 02-11-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveoski (Post 707542)

Forward from inbound port 3389 to outbound 3389. Portforward.com shows that in the instructions. You will need to put the internal IP of the PC running RDP. You should go to www.dyndns.org and sign up for a free account. That will give you a web address that ties to your external IP of the router. Most routers have a setting somewhere in the control panel to add it.

dtndvm 02-11-2009 09:02 PM

What OS are you using on your PC? RDP doesn't work with XP home edition. You need XP Pro or use logmein like apinkel suggested.

DaPeeps 02-11-2009 09:12 PM

I will ask this yet again...why do people focus on Remote Desktop so much? I think VNC is a much better alternative and much easier to setup and use.

I use RealVNC on my Pro and it works like a dream.

And VNC works on ANY OS, not just Windows XP and Vista Pro.

dtndvm 02-11-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPeeps (Post 707603)
I will ask this yet again...why do people focus on Remote Desktop so much? I think VNC is a much better alternative and much easier to setup and use.

I use RealVNC on my Pro and it works like a dream.

And VNC works on ANY OS, not just Windows XP and Vista Pro.

Depends on the setup. If you are connecting into a work computer, RDP doesn't need any software installed on the host computer, just the ports opened and maybe the firewall tweaked. It may not be possible to install VNC in your work situation. For the user with XP home, I would agree with you that its a great alternative. I have used both and am currently using RDP with zaDesktop and really like it.

DaPeeps 02-11-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtndvm (Post 707635)
Depends on the setup. If you are connecting into a work computer, RDP doesn't need any software installed on the host computer, just the ports opened and maybe the firewall tweaked. It may not be possible to install VNC in your work situation. For the user with XP home, I would agree with you that its a great alternative. I have used both and am currently using RDP with zaDesktop and really like it.

I will definitley relent there...if its a work situation and your employer has you setup to use RDP, then yes..I can totally see that, without a question.