PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

wcorrado is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Hotwiring" Power Button?

My power button is fried - the guys at the Sprint repair center are ordering a replacement, but they say they can't extract any data (e.g. address book) off the device without power. Is there a way to hotwire/jump the device to get it to power up in spite of the fried button?

Thanks for the help,

WC
Old 08-24-2009, 12:49 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive
Re: "Hotwiring" Power Button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcorrado View Post
My power button is fried - the guys at the Sprint repair center are ordering a replacement, but they say they can't extract any data (e.g. address book) off the device without power. Is there a way to hotwire/jump the device to get it to power up in spite of the fried button?

Thanks for the help,

WC
The device should wake up when you plug it into your computer.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
The device should wake up when you plug it into your computer.
it sounds like his problem is that he cant get it turned on in the first place.

to the OP,

My guess is that the power button is just a standard two lead switch. If you can pull the phone apart and find where the two leads go to, you should be able to simply jump a wire across them momentarily which should bring the device online. I have not personally disassembled a TP before, so i cant vouche for how hard it is to take apart, however, thats all it should take to get it to boot. Another option is to try putting the stylus into the reset hole on the bottom of the phone.

[edit] just tested on my phone, you can push the stylus into the reset hole on the bottom of the phone and it will turn the phone on.

Last edited by pyro254750; 08-24-2009 at 12:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM
The GrooGrux King

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro254750 View Post
it sounds like his problem is that he cant get it turned on in the first place.
Right, because his power button doesn't work...unless he didn't explain it clearly.

A soft reset will do it too
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

wcorrado is a n00b

Thanks for the ideas - to clarify: No power at all; soft boot (stylus to hole in phone bottom) won't work; hard boot (power button+volume down+select button) doesn't work either. Haven't tried to connect to PC. Is that worth a try???
Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM
The GrooGrux King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcorrado View Post
Thanks for the ideas - to clarify: No power at all; soft boot (stylus to hole in phone bottom) won't work; hard boot (power button+volume down+select button) doesn't work either. Haven't tried to connect to PC. Is that worth a try???
If a soft reset won't work, hooking it up to your PC probably won't.

When was the last time you synced or backed up your TP?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

Could the power button be stuck in the on position and killed the battery?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

thats my guess....

if he cant soft reset or get into bootloader, i was wondering if his battery was dead too

not that he cant chagre the phone still
Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

The phone will still charge while its off. First thing i would do is plug it in to a charger, if its still functional (the charging circuit that is) then you should see the leds lighting and dimming from bottom to top on the front of the phone, more commonly called "breathing" on the forums. If you see that, then the phone is charging. Let it charge for about 5 or 10 minutes and then push the stylus into the reset hole. It should vibrate and come on. If it doesnt, then my guess is that you have something more than just the power button defective on the phone, and you wont have a choice but to restore all your contacts manually. I would suggest in the future to backup once a week. I dont even use outlook anymore, I use sprite backup.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

I have Pimbackup set up to backup to the card every week, I cant even tell you how many times on both my mogul and my TP that it saved my butt!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro