PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

JeffT is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: iGuidance 2009 -- can only be used on memory card it is shipped on

I was for sure planning on upgrading to iGuidance 2009 until I learned of the memory card lock. Instead, I'm sticking with v3. It has annoyances, but it basically works, and swapping cards is far more annoying than the annoyances of v3. So a lost sale for me, unless I find a more direct workaround.

The memory card lock prevents me from upgrading to a 16GB card. I don't know what speed their 8GB card is. I would guess it prevents me from using Windows Mobile encryption on the card, which I can easily see myself starting to do as I use my PPC for more and more important things and if I set up remote wipe.

How ironic--the pirates get a better product. I hope, if and when cracks inevitably become available, that iNav lifts the memory card lock for the users of the genuine product, as it no longer would serve any purpose. (I am not trying to discuss any cracks if they exist, and have no information about them. Please do not send me information on cracks--I am not interested and it's against forum rules.)
Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffT View Post
I was for sure planning on upgrading to iGuidance 2009 until I learned of the memory card lock. Instead, I'm sticking with v3. It has annoyances, but it basically works, and swapping cards is far more annoying than the annoyances of v3. So a lost sale for me, unless I find a more direct workaround.

The memory card lock prevents me from upgrading to a 16GB card. I don't know what speed their 8GB card is. I would guess it prevents me from using Windows Mobile encryption on the card, which I can easily see myself starting to do as I use my PPC for more and more important things and if I set up remote wipe.

How ironic--the pirates get a better product. I hope, if and when cracks inevitably become available, that iNav lifts the memory card lock for the users of the genuine product, as it no longer would serve any purpose. (I am not trying to discuss any cracks if they exist, and have no information about them. Please do not send me information on cracks--I am not interested and it's against forum rules.)
Hang on a moment. You are still on version 3 of the software. Version 4 of Iguidance for Windows Mobile adds newer maps, Text to Speech (very accurate) and still maintains the quality routing that Iguidance is known for. Also version 4 for WM is not locked in any way, i.e. you can transfer it from one microsd card to another. I keep the US/Canada 1.2 GB map on a microsd card along with the Cab installer and can be up an running with Iguidance 4 in a matter of minutes with a ROM update.

I have used Iguidance since version 2, buy each copy as an upgrade to the last. I did pick up Iguidance 2009 on an 8GB microsd card and have liked the interface speed/POI changes/ and additional map data. I will be looking out for a means to transfer iguidance 2009 to the 16gb Microsd card I bought recently. I am sure someone with figure out a bypass of the crappy DRM that will damage sales and hinder legal owners but be of no consequence to those that never intended on paying for it.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Cool Re: iGuidance 2009 -- can only be used on memory card it is shipped on

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmccormick View Post
May I recommend Nav-N-Go iGo8. It blows iGuidance out of the water. I have only used on CarPC, not PPC, but I'm sure it is the same. The 3D Buildings are totally awesome!
iGo8 did not work properly on the Touch Pro. Seems to hang on boot for some reason or another. Also have you compared routing head to head with Iguidance. I have used Tom Tom, Destinator, Pharos, Co-Pilot and none of them provided the level of voice prompts that iguidance does, i.e. with all the other software you have to have the screen in view and need to refer to it constantly for guidance, whereas since Iguidance 4 looking at the screen is optional, as the vocal guidance is enough to direct you in unfamiliar regions.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

urvi is a n00b

Hey nmhusa, do you still need to use gpsgate with iguidance 2009 or no?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kayfouroh is keeping up the good workkayfouroh is keeping up the good work

Noob question but how does iGuidance 2009 or even v4 compare to TomTom 7?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by urvi View Post
Hey nmhusa, do you still need to use gpsgate with iguidance 2009 or no?
I have been using GPSgate. I tried it without and it did not seem laggy using COM4. Switched back to GPSgate (force of habit from my Mogul days) and forgot to switch back.

BTW I am installing iGuidance 2009 on a 16GB microsd card that I bought for that purpose. As usual the DRM on the retail upgrade that I bought will hurt legitimate users only as someone byp***** it within weeks of the software release.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Cool Re: iGuidance 2009 -- can only be used on memory card it is shipped on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Noob question but how does iGuidance 2009 or even v4 compare to TomTom 7?
I have compared each version of iGuidance with the available versions at the time of TOMTOM. Last version checked was TOMTOM 6. Consistent gripes that I have had with TOMTOM have been....

Lack or minimal street names in 3D mode
Poor voice prompts (delayed or too few, resulting in a constant need to check the screen to see where the next turn is)
On TOMTOM 6 there was no Text to Speech that I could find.
Destination side of street was never reported (i.e. you have reached your destination on the right or left)
Routing left alot to be desired
Maps for the US were always out of date compared to iGuidance

iGuidance has excellent voice prompts, TTS is perfect, no need to stare at the screen even in unfamiliar regions to tell where to turn, clear street names even on a 3D map, better routing etc etc etc.

Even purchased a standalone TOMTOM and it had all the same issues as the PPC versions.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Thumbs up Re: iGuidance 2009 -- can only be used on memory card it is shipped on

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning View Post
I was looking to upgrade my iGuidance 4.x to the most current release (2009). Unfortunately, after contacting their technical support, I have learned that they are only providing the software via microSD. No big deal except I don't want to utilize anything other than Sandisk and am told that the software is locked onto their card. Anyone know of a way around this so I can pull the software off the card and put it onto a larger card?
Fixed now. Can be installed on any sized microsd card. Just google for the fix or ask a nice person to help you if you are a google novice.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

n32jk is a n00b

Just loaded IGuidance 4 to my new touch pro.....it all looked good in the living room, but when I got on the road....it lags .... a lot....I can touch the screen and it catches up...but it really isn't functional....I connected my bluetooth GPS at a stop and it worked fine...(did not shut the program down) I switched back and forth and the onboard GPS lags and the bluetooth was smooth. Has anyone experienced this??? Can the default com port be changed for the onboard GPS??? Is there a hack??? Is this a bad gps on this phone??? Any help would be appreciated....I was considering IG 2009 is anyone using this with the onboard GPS???
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

So based on all the available GPS software, which would you guys recommend?

GarminXT
iGuidance
iGo
TomTom

Last edited by freeza; 02-19-2009 at 12:26 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro