PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

filo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Texts while roaming

I tend to travel a lot for work and currently I'm in Mexico. Now, of course I'm roaming, no big deal there. I'm okay with the charges for voice and data usage. My question is, is there a way to send and receive text messages?? It's fairly annoying that I can only use texts 1 or 2 weeks of the month as I'm out of the country the other 2 or 3 weeks.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I apoligize, I just realized I submitted this 3 times!

Can someone please delete. Thanks.

Last edited by filo; 12-09-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Texts while roaming

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48375
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I have sent text messages while roaming (in the US), but I'm not sure of the cost as I have free roaming and unlimited text. Does mexico use CDMA or are they GSM? If it's CDMA, you SHOULD be able to send and receive text but not sure of the international text details.

Last edited by gator352; 12-09-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

filo is a n00b

Yes, sorry all. I realized I posted this like 3 times!

Anyways, I believe that Mexico is GSM. I've talked to customer service but they are really no help.

I don't really care about the cost of sending or receiving texts. I was just curious if it was possible.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

filo is a n00b

I've also read in some obscure forums while googling this issue that some manufacturers lock that feature down, so you cannot txt while roaming. Doesn't seem likely, but I figured if there was a hack or update for it, ppcgeeks would know!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 PM
VIP Member

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by filo View Post
Yes, sorry all. I realized I posted this like 3 times!

Anyways, I believe that Mexico is GSM. I've talked to customer service but they are really no help.

I don't really care about the cost of sending or receiving texts. I was just curious if it was possible.
lol..i noticed...its all ghud..no worries...but sprint does have coverage in the northern part of the country...so i guess the defining factor is... where you gonna be in mexico??
Old 12-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

filo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeegcpp View Post
lol..i noticed...its all ghud..no worries...but sprint does have coverage in the northern part of the country...so i guess the defining factor is... where you gonna be in mexico??
Yes, that's what customer care said. Only the border cities.

Unfortunately I'm usually in Mexico City, so much further south.

I guess I just don't really understand why on my old phone -- crappy Katana II -- I could send and receive while roaming, although never tried out of the country, but in the states, even when roaming it was no problem.

Also, I don't understand why they would not allow this, if nothing else, they can just nickle and dime me for more money.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filo View Post
Yes, that's what customer care said. Only the border cities.

Unfortunately I'm usually in Mexico City, so much further south.

I guess I just don't really understand why on my old phone -- crappy Katana II -- I could send and receive while roaming, although never tried out of the country, but in the states, even when roaming it was no problem.

Also, I don't understand why they would not allow this, if nothing else, they can just nickle and dime me for more money.
well, if CDMA isnt avail in a physical area..its not avail...its nickle n dime, jus geographically @$$ed out..if GSM is only avail, gota have a GSM device to work
Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 PM
VIP Member

filo..how long have u had ur fone?? samsung makes sum cdma/gsm pda's..mite wanna upgrade..jus a thot, suggestion
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

filo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeegcpp View Post
filo..how long have u had ur fone?? samsung makes sum cdma/gsm pda's..mite wanna upgrade..jus a thot, suggestion
Heh, picked up the Touch Pro in early November of this year. So, my upgrade doesn't come into effect for like 2 more years..hehe

I suppose I should have looked this up before I upgraded, no one's fault buy my own.. Just kinda sucks..

I didn't realize there were gsm/cdma phones that could work on both networks.

Thanks for the info.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro