PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

TheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: car charger not charging

Here's my 2 cents. Anytime you use internet for prolonged use it heats up the phone. As we've discovered, if the phone is hot, its not going to charge until it cools down enough. Telenav uses the internet to download maps so its constantly using the internet/radio.

The only way to use GPS on long trips without your battery dying and having to do ridiculous things to keep the phone cool is to use a 3rd party GPS program that has maps stored on the storage card. Personally I use iGuidance but just about any popular GPS program will work just dandy as long as the maps are on storage rather than the internet.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint TP

IsLNdbOi is keeping up the good workIsLNdbOi is keeping up the good work

I just noticed mine acting up as well. I installed USB power ports in my car. I've been using those ports to charge all of my other phones, friends and family have also used these ports to charge their phones w/o any problems.

When I plug my TP into either USB port, it will charge (the ring lights on and off and the battery icon turns into the AC plug icon). After awhile though, the ring light just stays on and the AC plug icon changes back to the battery icon (even though the TP is still plugged into the USB charging port). If I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, it starts to charge again (ring lights on and off and battery icon changes to AC plug icon), but after awhile the AC plug icon changes back to the battery icon.

So, I purchased both the HTC AND Sprint car chargers for the TP and it still does the same thing with both chargers.

Is the TP supposed to stop charging when the battery is full or something?

Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 04-04-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

TheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuff

In my experience the dpad light goes solid when its fully charged and remains that way until you unplug it or drain it more than the charger can provide.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

Yea, once fully charged the screen icon shows battery and the ring stays white. But read the other comments in this thread and you might be able to learn if your battery is full or you're having heat issues. nuePowerCPL tells you whether the battery icon is showing during a charge or if charging has stopped and your device is hot. See the earlier comments for details, it's all explained.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint TP

IsLNdbOi is keeping up the good workIsLNdbOi is keeping up the good work

Thanks for that confirmation. No heat issues here so looks like my TP is ok.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

I only have charging issues due to heat when in my car. I think the car holder holds in just enough heat to put things over the top. When out of the car, like the other day I watched over an hour of online TV with no loss of charge. In my car, the device can get hot when using data for 15 minutes. I used a small piece of my cold wrap the other day during an hour long drive and ran Telenav the entire time. Never got hot. 30 degrees C the entire time and by the end of the trip that small piece of cold wrap was no longer cold, but still it seemed not to hold heat like the car holder's black padding. Later the same day, I took a short ride running a podcast for about 15 minutes with no cold wrap behind the device and by the end of that drive the device was already at 47 degrees C. And during the 1 hour drive, I had the device in portrait mode, which usually causes it to heat up faster, but during the 15 minute drive I had it in landscape mode with the slider open. During the 15 minute drive it kept charging, but it always seems to take some trips up to 47 degrees C that don't make me comfortable.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

So I got Garmin Mobile XT. And I road around using it today. Definetly gives better routes than Sprint Navigation and has some features Sprint Navigation does not have. Although I wish it spoke street names like Sprint Navigation. Overall though I think Garmin might be a little better, but it's still early in my use of it.

Anyway, it didn't help beat the heat. I ran it with the device closed in portrait mode and the internal temp went up to 47 degrees C when I used Garmin while playing some music, all off the SD card. Maybe keeping it landscape with the keyboard open might have been enough to keep things cool, but it was not with Sprint Navigation. I guess I'll need more testing. I've got a long drive coming up and I'm going to just use the cold pack because I know that works. I can do more testing without the cold pack later.

With Garmin Mobile XT, I do have it pulling data such as traffic information. But the maps are on the SD card, so I doubt very much data is being transfered.

Question for anyone using Garmin or IGuidance, if you've found either does not cause your device to overheat, are you pulling in any data such as traffic information, or running the program without pulling any wireless data at all?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

I'm finding, even when the data connection is "disabled" in Garmin Mobile XT, that things still heat up. But the cold pack always keeps things at a cool 30 degrees C .

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro