PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

SNYPE2K9 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have been out of the scene for about six months anything I should know?

I see that we have finally gotten stable overclocking, I know the last tool was limited and didn't work for everyone (and that includes me >.>). I also see that over time XDANDROID went from being practically unusable to nearly main OS worthy. In fact it looks like the TP runs Android better than my Samsung Moment, which is a bigger shame since I dropped the cash for it. It even has hardware 3d which is something even my Moment doesn't have. I think it was the lack of hardware 3d that made Android so unusable for me. Software graphics acceleration drained my battery like crazy (like less than a day without using it) and made non-MP4 video impossible to play. I have literally tried running Rock Player and the video plays at about 50% speed and falls out of synch with the audio...it's terrible.

I have a few questions though.

Did we ever get hardware 3D on WinMo?

I know this was a big topic for a while but in searching I never saw any conclusion. I just wondered since we apparently got hardware 3D on Android, which I'm gonna guess was somehow ported from the HTC Hero.

Does the Android port handle basic emulation well?

I had bought Gameboid on the Market and it would be a shame to not be able to use it, especially since the WinMo GBA/SNES/Genesis emulators seemed so primitive and slow when I left.

Has that improved at all?

I'm going to assume the only emulator that could have been updated was Morph Gear (well other than FPSECE which I continued to watch even when I had no WinMo device). Is it fullspeed without frameskip yet?

Does the Android port play video well?

Even if we don't have hardware 3d on WinMo we have it on Android. Because of that I would think that we should be able to support some nice video playback, like better quality than in WinMo. Though of course we all know the Market lacks video players that support a lot of formats.

Is there anything I should know before jumping back into the scene?

It has been over six months, basically an eternity in smartphone land, so I am sure a lot has gone on in my absence. I just can't help but come back to the Touch Pro. I personally found WinMo to be the best operating system I've ever used on a regular basis. I've experienced iOS and I am currently using Android and I never felt like I had much control (even after jailbreaking and rooting). Plus I never really liked the handsets and I can't leave Sprint. The Evo and the Epic interested me but they cost $400 aftermarket. With about a year left on my contract and they aren't even compatible with my plan I don't even consider them options. This leaves me with the Moment and the Hero as dedicated Android devices...which isn't even something I care for. The Moment just plain blows and the Hero is pretty much the Touch Diamond with multitouch. Plus, and I know this will shock you all, I prefer resistive touchscreens! On top of being a computer sciences student I am also a web developer and a graphic designer. I like to be able to draw or make quick edits with my phone. Pocket Artist was a godsend to me. In fact Pocket Artist and FPSECE are two of the main things bringing me back to the Touch Pro that and the fact that the Touch Pro seems to run Android better than my actual Android phone >.>

Last edited by SNYPE2K9; 09-22-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

jrebo is keeping up the good workjrebo is keeping up the good work
Re: I have been out of the scene for about six months anything I should know?

The overclocking is sweet. I've been been using it for a week now @ 710.4 Mhz. The only lockups I have had were when I boot into Android. I move SetCpuSpeed.lnk out of Startup and soft reset the phone to turn OC off...then I run Haret.exe.

If you are into Android, I would recommend checking out Neopeek's ROMs and web site.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/cdma-tp-up...s-neopeek.html

Neopeek - Network

His ROMs use an ext2 (Linux) partition on your SD card. The more recent versions have a zip file that include everything you need and are very stable. My only issue is getting bluetooth to pair with my Jawbone headset, but that's an issue I have with XANDROID ROMs too.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

SNYPE2K9 is a n00b

oh wow, thanks i'll look into that now. i figured there had to be a few things i've missed XD
Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touchpro Energy.HERMAN.24631.Sense2.5.Cookie.Sep.4
Carrier: alltel

frizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrizzlefry is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNYPE2K9 View Post
Plus, and I know this will shock you all, I prefer resistive touchscreens! >.>

Me too. I returned my Incredible because of the capacitive screen. I just couldn't stand the lack of precision. I think that is why the new phones have bigger screens, to make up for that. Now if that big screen had the same pixels per inch as my touch pro which would make way more stuff fit on the screen and be resistive it would be much awesome.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

SNYPE2K9 is a n00b

yeah definitely my moment has only hvga resolution. >.>

the only reason i "upgraded" was because i left my phone in the same pocket as my keys and completely ruined my screen it got scratched way too many times so deep, that i couldn't bare to look at it.

i ended up selling it to make up some of the cost for my moment.

really i should have just paid another $50 and gotten a new touch pro, seems like some of the most significant advances occurred right after i got rid of it too which is depressing. i was so happy with it too, i loved my phone and with the moment it's just been meh after meh.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

jrebo is keeping up the good workjrebo is keeping up the good work

If you are a flash junkie, check out frizzlefry's signature. He did a nice writeup regarding Task 29. Use this program to clear your memory before flashing a ROM. It takes the place of the 'flash dance' we used to do.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800
Carrier: Alltel

hillsmi is a n00b
Red face Re: I have been out of the scene for about six months anything I should know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNYPE2K9 View Post
I see that we...
Did we ever...
I'm sure that you were just making light of the new developments.

Now, I'm not trying to be a *ick (I'm just pointing out some bad wording), but, if you've been 'out of the scene' for so long, how can you consider yourself part of 'we'

I'm definately NOT speaking of me, but of the developers and the gurus that have made this all possible for 'you' to enjoy.

Have a tinge of respect for the ones who worked so hard, and don't try to include yourself and make it sound like you were one of the 'we' that made it all happen.

Give thanks and credit where due.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

the tp died
Old 10-03-2010, 01:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

fenton is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsmi View Post
Now, I'm not trying to be a *ick
took out some useless comments. sorry.

Last edited by fenton; 10-03-2010 at 01:38 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro