PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

badsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Gmail Sync and Attachments?

double bonus in an hour. thank you. thank you.

1 more question. Is there a setting to pull 2 weeks of email instead of 7 or 30 days?

I do have a 8gb card but worried abt system slowdown due to large mailbox issues like a desktop outlook. Whats ur experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuuup View Post
No problem Most of the time I spend on this phone is for e-mail, so it's pretty important to me.... and I know there are tons of you out there who do the same.

The problem is that WM6.1 still doesn't allow you to manually map your root directory and IMAP folders to their sent/trash/etc folders. What I do for sent, although it takes a few extra clicks to get there is just have it sync from the gmail root directory folder that it creates. It should show up just above the built in outlook folders as [Gmail] or whatever you've named this account. If you go in there, you'll see all of your folders/filters including "Sent Mail". If you click menu > tools > manage folders, you can have outlook sync that folder, and you'll have access to your sent mail. Actually, I think that makes it just one extra click, but at least you wont have to deal with an extra filter.

Outlook's "Sent Item's" folder will always be empty, unless you enable "save a copy of sent messages" which just causes a different set of problems. It also isn't necessary to check that box since with google, anything that goes through SMTP is automatically flagged as "sent" and stored under your "sent mail" filter. We just have to wait for microsoft to either give in and give us proper IMAP support, or wait for google to finish with sync. I was hoping that microsoft would cave before google did, but alas...

For send/receive frequency, you'll want to set it to manual. The IMAP pusher service takes care of incoming mail using IMAP IDLE... so it's basically pushed to your phone immediately, you don't want it burning battery and checking for mail when there is none. As for sending, if Outlook is set to send emails manually, when you type out an email and hit send.... guess what... that's a manual send command So the email will go out instantly.

Welcome back to IMAP
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

fuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsez View Post
I do have a 8gb card but worried abt system slowdown due to large mailbox issues like a desktop outlook. Whats ur experience?
I answered the 2 week question in my last post (short answer: dunno)... as for slowdown... that's always subjective. I get a TON of email during the week, and 7 days is about all I can tolerate looking at, but as far as slowdown. I don't really notice any.

My suggestion would be to try 30 days, see how you like it. If it doesn't work for ya, then just switch back. But definitely search to find out if there's a way to add a 2 week option.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

butler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I'm sure google will work things out in the coming months, but in the meantime... lets get some email!
I agree, just wanted to link the thread for the problem. I have it in my RSS reader so hopefully I'll be kept sorta up to date on it.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

fuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler360 View Post
I agree, just wanted to link the thread for the problem. I have it in my RSS reader so hopefully I'll be kept sorta up to date on it.
Awesome man. Throw us a post in this thread (I think pretty much anyone who cares about gmail sync has congregated here) if they come out with any new updates on the situation.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

zizo72 is just getting started

how do i copy a shortcut?

Quote:
Well... I've decided to disable gmail sync and go back to regular IMAP with the IMAP idle pusher service. Too many problems right now. There's quite a bit of delay at times. I'm also getting duplicates. Trash isn't mapped correctly in exchange, and still no attachments.

IMAP with the IMAP pusher service works perfectly (google has been running IMAP for quite some time now, so they've pretty much got it all worked out). Sometimes mail gets pushed to my phone so quickly that the email pops up on my phone before it shows up in thunderbird... on my computer

For those of you who would like to do the same and get your gmail pushed while we wait for google to work out the kinks in gmail sync... just uncheck the "E-Mail" box under your active sync settings. Then do the following steps:

Add your gmail account as a normal account. It's pretty self explanatory, but you can find directions here if you get confused along the way: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=78886

Make a directory in your program files folder and extract the files in the attached zip to that directory. Run the ImapPusherService.exe file from your phone and put in your information. Once that's done, your mail should push instantly and you'll get your attachments back.

To make sure the service starts every time, copy a shortcut to ImapPusherService.exe and paste it in your startup folder.

I've also found that I get better battery life by going into activesyc and changing the sync schedule to every 4 hours. Since you're only synching calendar and contacts (or one of them.. or neither of them) there's really no need to have it sync as new items arrive. Imap Pusher Service will take care of email separately and instantly (instead of synching contact, calendar, and email all at the same time) and you'll have less battery drain.

Let me know if this helps you guys out. Also let me know if you have any questions about the setup.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizo72 View Post
how do i copy a shortcut?
Copy the file as usual. When you go to paste, it should give you both an option to "paste" and "paste shortcut". Paste shortcut
Old 10-09-2009, 03:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

zizo72 is just getting started

Quote:
Copy the file as usual. When you go to paste, it should give you both an option to "paste" and "paste shortcut". Paste shortcut
Thank you! I feel retarded!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

badsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuffbadsez knows their stuff

How do i change the account info on the imappusher settings?
I cant seem to bring back the settings since i checked the save password.

Quote:
It sure is, and they sure are

However, it is not the only problem that users are experiencing right now. And they haven't really given us any kind of time frame on when it'll be fixed. IMAP works just fine as does the IMAP pusher service. No need to wait around when we have something that already works.

I'm sure google will work things out in the coming months, but in the meantime... lets get some email!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

nm. i found the settings file under applicationdata/imappusher folder. once i delted the file.. the settings window poppedup.

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsez View Post
How do i change the account info on the imappusher settings?
I cant seem to bring back the settings since i checked the save password.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular

Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work

One problem with Gmail Exchange push is: your reply address is your gmail address, cannot be set to one of the verified alias.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2