PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 09:33 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
T-Mobile Users?

Your thoughts?

I saw a review of it and was sickened. No 3.5mm, no home screen, a VERY different device. Have any of you gone out and buy it?

Hypothetically saying we have any t-mobile users :P
Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

TomasPistola is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: T-Mobile Users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laos101 View Post
Your thoughts?

I saw a review of it and was sickened. No 3.5mm, no home screen, a VERY different device. Have any of you gone out and buy it?

Hypothetically saying we have any t-mobile users :P
I'll have mine Thursday but I've sold several. You are right on about the 3.5 but my understand was that was an HTC decision. Could be wrong /shrug. Dunno what you mean by no home screen. If you are talking about the Today screen - that can easily be shown by disabling the Touch Flo stuff.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

I think what he means is that there are pictures showing the T-Mobile's version having the myFaves bullcrap on the main "home" tab of TF3D. Not sure if that's actually how it is, but that's what I've seen.

The lack of a 3.5mm jack is T-Mobile's decision. HTC provides options for each carrier that wishes to use the phone on their network, and TMo decided against it for whatever reason.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

dallasjim is becoming a great contributor

I have (had) one for a week. I am taking it back this morning. Cons: despite the map showing strong signal at my house, um not so much. The TP2, especially with a case is VERY bulky. Dropping back to WM 6.1 lesssens the user experience. TomTom does not install. The Touchflo is choppy like the stock TP was. Pros: The display, battery life and keyboard are awesome. 3G was available when I was in San Francisco last week and worked great. Even though T-Moble claims 3G in Dallas, I have yet to find the tower to stand under it. Bottom line, I will probably buy a Sprint TP2 (despite my dislike of Sprint) and hope that some one can unlock it to go to a GSM network that works at my house. I am going to donate to the SPL unlock project. I can't use a stock phone!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
I think what he means is that there are pictures showing the T-Mobile's version having the myFaves bullcrap on the main "home" tab of TF3D. Not sure if that's actually how it is, but that's what I've seen.

The lack of a 3.5mm jack is T-Mobile's decision. HTC provides options for each carrier that wishes to use the phone on their network, and TMo decided against it for whatever reason.

You can go into the Myfaves settings and disable the Myfaves off the home screen. That's the first thing I did for a customer that bought one.

Dunno about the 3.5 thing. Don't see why T-mo would care which one is there as most of our stores that I've been too hardly carry and wired headsets at all anymore.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tmobile HD2, Google Nexus one
Carrier: Tmobile

j23a45m is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to j23a45m Send a message via Yahoo to j23a45m

I have the phone for tmobile. I love it, yes no 3.5mm jack oh well as for the home screen there is one
http://www.karmaloop.com/index.asp?rcode=MN22044

how do you make your money easy im a P.I.M.P.G.A.N.G.S.T.E.R
I have Gucci style, Burberry class, I'm the Dkny bomb, so kiss my Prada ***
97 A32 QNO SE 5Speed

***S3X iS lIkE mAtH. aDd ThE bEd, SuBtRaCt ThE cLoThEs, DiViDe tHe LeGs, PrAy U dOn't MuLtIpLy***
Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

For the record. A Model using the HTC port for headsets, HTC will Discount the carrier because it forces the user to buy HTC headphones, and is a cheaper CPU board.

That's why its TM's choice, and imo its a poor one. Coverage, of course being my main priority, is also at a loss (This is because a poor signal sucks battery life)

And.. Limited 3G? Dang, I think you're deterring me even more from ever becoming a TMobile carrier. I like having 3G open wide in range. For example. I came back from a cruise, and as soon as I hit American water's off in Port Canaveral, I had 3G internet.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by laos101 View Post
For the record. A Model using the HTC port for headsets, HTC will Discount the carrier because it forces the user to buy HTC headphones, and is a cheaper CPU board.

That's why its TM's choice, and imo its a poor one. Coverage, of course being my main priority, is also at a loss (This is because a poor signal sucks battery life)

And.. Limited 3G? Dang, I think you're deterring me even more from ever becoming a TMobile carrier. I like having 3G open wide in range. For example. I came back from a cruise, and as soon as I hit American water's off in Port Canaveral, I had 3G internet.
Yeah, I think anyone would tell you that T-mo was late in the game on 3G. They are pretty frugal when it comes to stuff like that I've noticed. I live in the Atlanta area and the 3G for me has been pretty good though it is spotty outside the metro area sometimes.

If you've noticed the T-mo commercials - they don't usually tout 3G or even the network. They put emphasis on their value (rate plans) and customer service which typically is very good. Thankfully there are several good carriers in the US and each does a great job of working their angles. Sprint - high speed data, Verizon - Coverage + Largest Customer Base, AT&T - 3G + iphone.

USA USA USA
Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjim View Post
I have (had) one for a week. I am taking it back this morning. Cons: despite the map showing strong signal at my house, um not so much. The TP2, especially with a case is VERY bulky. Dropping back to WM 6.1 lesssens the user experience. TomTom does not install. The Touchflo is choppy like the stock TP was. Pros: The display, battery life and keyboard are awesome. 3G was available when I was in San Francisco last week and worked great. Even though T-Moble claims 3G in Dallas, I have yet to find the tower to stand under it. Bottom line, I will probably buy a Sprint TP2 (despite my dislike of Sprint) and hope that some one can unlock it to go to a GSM network that works at my house. I am going to donate to the SPL unlock project. I can't use a stock phone!
I would second everything you've said (minus the TomTom part - it installed fine for me and works great).

Additional thoughts:

* The color scheme (IMHO) is just not pleasing to the eye. I have definitely gotten used to it, but I think the Verizon & Telus versions are much better.
* The screen, while nice, doesn't seem as sharp/crisp as the TP1. It seems like they everything is just stretched out to fit the screen. Having said that, surfing the web is amazing & it's great to be able to read the forums so easily on the TP2. It's also easier to push hyperlinks on the screen, like the page #'s at the bottom of this page, and the little "go to new post" icon. It's also easier to press things like the OK button in the upper right corner and the scroll bars. I never pull my stylus out unless I'm deep inside the OS trying to change a native WM setting (like selecting a sound from a pull-down).
* The TF3D/WM integration is inconsistent and awkward. For example, if I'm on the text Messaging tab in TF3D, and select the menu/reply softkey, the standard WM text messaging application opens. However if I click the message from the messaging screen, it opens HTC's messaging interface. There's a back softkey in HTC's messaging interface that is a send softkey in the WM interface. If you hit the back key by accident in HTC's interface you will exit the interface and lose everything you just typed. There's also no counter in HTC's interface so you have no idea how many characters you've typed. I actually prefer the stock messaging interface.
* You have to hack a bunch of stuff if you want TF3D to launch Opera instead of PIE.
* The row of buttons at the bottom of the phone are difficult to press and are smaller than what I've seen on other variations of the phone. They are also REALLY bright.
* Unlike the TP1, the speakers are on the back of the phone. Set it on a table and it muffles A LOT.
* The start menu is just stock WM. I don't see any of HTC's goodness like I saw in other review on other carriers.
* It's difficult to access the comm manager. I'm used to pressing the signal icon at the top and then opening the comm manager from there. If I press there now, it opens the notifications screen, so comm manager needs to be accessed from the programs tab in TF3D or via settings.
* I like the reset button on the outside, although I haven't really had to use it much.
* Size wise I would compare it to a really thick iPhone. The CDMA versions are even bigger based on the specs I've seen. Probably due to having dual cellular radios.

Last edited by 8notime; 08-19-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: tomtom works so I edited my review to reflect this.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjim View Post
TomTom does not install.!
I'm not sure which version you tried to install, but version 7.915.9196 installed fine & I locked on 12 satellites within 3 seconds of starting up.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2