PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

enzyme is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 Antenna / Reception

Does the tp2 use a physical antenna at all or is it all software based? I am getting no more than 2 bars at anytime. Once in a long while it will be full bars for one tick for 2 secs then back to 2 bars or less. I live in the inner city so it is definitely not area coverage. This has never happened before. I have tried with many different roms including stock and its still the same.

This started happening after I replaced the screen half of the phone. I ask about the antenna because I still have almost a complete spare phone in parts that I can use to swap parts if I need to. Anyone with insight on this?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: TP2 Antenna / Reception

the # of bars doesn't always indicate actual signal strength. search for a program called field trial,it'll tell u the true signal strength measured in dB the lower the dB the higher the signal.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Rockin' the Red!!
Pocket PC: 1.31.11Neo -- FRX06
Carrier: Sero

Recursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzyme View Post
Does the tp2 use a physical antenna at all or is it all software based? I am getting no more than 2 bars at anytime. Once in a long while it will be full bars for one tick for 2 secs then back to 2 bars or less. I live in the inner city so it is definitely not area coverage. This has never happened before. I have tried with many different roms including stock and its still the same.

This started happening after I replaced the screen half of the phone. I ask about the antenna because I still have almost a complete spare phone in parts that I can use to swap parts if I need to. Anyone with insight on this?
You could try the 2.37WV radio, which worked very well for some folks. You could also flash Vin's Neodium 2.37 ROM...click the Pluto banner in my sig. There's also an updatedSprint provisioning cab, which many have used in combination with 2.37 (if you're on Sprint).

Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the input. As far as the respond to the bars and actual signal strength, it does affect my signal quite a bit. People tell me that I am cutting out and I end up with a call drop, this happens consistently.

Vin roms were one of those I used. I will give the Neo w/ that other radio a try. Also if I remember correct Vin cooks Field Trial into his roms.

Do you know if that standalone radio cab is compatible with 6.5.x as well? I want to use the Pluto version w/o Titanium or Sense. I'm starting to get into SPB MS
Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

in vins ROM thread there is a link to the radio separately. i personally would just recommend the Neo ROM as it has more free RAM than the Pluto ROM and some programs don't display right in 6.5.x which is a no go for me.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

speedyd718 is keeping up the good workspeedyd718 is keeping up the good work

try the verizon radio. i've had good success with it. especially in areas that were low before. i'd also try updating your prl too.
OC'd to 768hz w/ WinMoSpeed 1.06
Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touchpro
Carrier: sprint

kevintmr is keeping up the good workkevintmr is keeping up the good workkevintmr is keeping up the good work

Quote:

The antenna is a black flexible circuit tape thats taped to the back housing of the phone under the battery cover
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Rockin' the Red!!
Pocket PC: 1.31.11Neo -- FRX06
Carrier: Sero

Recursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIP

Quote:
Thanks for the input. As far as the respond to the bars and actual signal strength, it does affect my signal quite a bit. People tell me that I am cutting out and I end up with a call drop, this happens consistently.

Vin roms were one of those I used. I will give the Neo w/ that other radio a try. Also if I remember correct Vin cooks Field Trial into his roms.

Do you know if that standalone radio cab is compatible with 6.5.x as well? I want to use the Pluto version w/o Titanium or Sense. I'm starting to get into SPB MS
Yes, it is compatible. Whichever way you go (Neo or Pluto), I would definitely try out 2.37 (I linked to it) with the FixedSprintProvisioning cab. My reception improved a LOT. If you can't find that cab in Vin's thread, just ask in there & someone'll up it for you. It might be in the first post too.

Yeah, I like Pluto better, only because of the finger-friendliness. Neo does run slightly better & quicker with more free Ram though.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

News. I did try out the radio with a barebone pluto build. I got a mixed bag of nuts. At first after the flashing of the radio & the provision it seemed like it was a complete cure. Nearly full bars all the time, no drop calls or cutting out, FieldTrial Ec/Io ranges from 8-12 db. Updated PRL as well.

But then randomly it started going back to the old ways. Calls cutting out, 1-2 bars, FieldTrial Ec/Io spiked up 18-24 db.

I have done nothing else since the flash besides flash the radio, install provision, PhonEX and SPB Mobile Shell.

--------------------

Q about Radio: I was wondering if the updated radio will stick after a hard reset or new flash or would I need to flash it each time?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Could you give me the link fot FieldTrial. I did a search but was unable to find it.

Thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2