PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 12:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

eval- is keeping up the good workeval- is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can someone with a Sprint TP2 do me a favor?

There is a totally unresolved debate that was the main focus of this thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88356

Basically, PDADB claims the Sprint TP2, but NOT the Verizon TP2, has two 3G UMTS bands: 900mhz & 2100mhz. I find this suspicious since I'm told that they're almost identically the same hardware. This question was asked again here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88229

and not directly answered, but someone may have answered it here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88930

So, can a Sprint boy or girl do the same thing, go to 'GSM only' mode and list what GSM/UMTS band options you see??

Basically, I am moving to Europe for work and need to know whether picking up a Sprint TP2 before I go is /that/ much better than a T-mobile or Verizon. 900 UMTS is more of a rural than a city thing, but it would certainly help to know, since a lot of new deployment is 900mhz UMTS GSM. Thanks!!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:59 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP
Re: Can someone with a Sprint TP2 do me a favor?

if you're moving to europe, why not just get a phone over there... they come out months earlier. get an hd2.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:08 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wobumang is a n00b

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88356

and a chart too!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 & HTC HD2
Carrier: Verizon & T-Mobile

RKnight is keeping up the good workRKnight is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to RKnight Send a message via MSN to RKnight Send a message via Yahoo to RKnight

I agree .... I would never bring a US phone over seas because it is even more outdated there then it is here and it will never work the way it would if you had the same device over there with there carrier ... go for the HD2 when you get over the Europe. I am thinking about making the switch here as well and jumping to T-Mobile to get it ..... the TP2 is getting old really quick as far as Hardware goes
Current Device: HTC HD2 Wife myTouch 3G & Touch Pro2 for SALE ~ ROM - Energy 6.5.X Series Wife .... in process of Rooting and finding a good 2.1 base with Sense 2.0 ROM ~ Carrier - T-Mobile ~ Memory Card - 16GB SanDisk soon to be 32 GB SanDisk
Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Uhm, could someone who wants to Answer the Question reply??

Someone with a Sprint Touch Pro 2, who can check "GSM only" mode?

If you want to know why I am bring a phone to Europe, look here: http://www.base.de/handys/handy_deta...23&tarifId=452

Yes, that's right, the SUBSIDIZED PHONE WITH PLAN starting >$500. Unsubsidized, at $750. Unfortunately, I am not rich enough to pay Google $570 or a German carrier the same for a Snapdragon phone, no matter how much I want one. This is why many people in Europe import US phones, even though they get there first.

I would really appreciate if future replies in this thread gave me less advice on how to spend money I don't have instead of ANSWERING THE QUESTION I ASKED. Besides, many German carriers knock 10Euro off your per-month bill if you bring your own phone. So let's see... phones cost $100-$200 more in Europe, and I can save $170 on my bill if I bring my own phone... what's a student to do?

And no, you will not "always" have problems. Guess what phone CMONEX (creator of HardSPL and the TP2 SIM unlocker) uses in Europe? A Sprint Touch Pro 2. Enough said.

PS. When I have been employed for a year and I have some money, I will happily spend it on a dual-core Tegra2 phone, which will blow the N1/HD2 out of the water. For now, buying a phone that allows me to continue to participate in the porting of Android to older HTCs, and to save $400 is actually more exciting. Plus, my Google friend may sell me his Nexus when he switches to Verizon in the fall. Now, could someone with a Sprint TP2 please tell me if you see UMTS 900 when you're in GSM-only mode??
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

did you check the chart that said that sprint had both, but verizon didn't.
it has about 50 choices for gsm networks. i am trying to find the actual radio.
ok, here you go, for gsm/umts band here are your choices:
1. gsm(900+1800) + umts (2100+900)
2. gsm(1900+850) + umts (1900+850)
3. umts (2100)

is that what you needed to know?

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
did you check the chart that said that sprint had both, but verizon didn't.
it has about 50 choices for gsm networks. i am trying to find the actual radio.
ok, here you go, for gsm/umts band here are your choices:
1. gsm(900+1800) + umts (2100+900)
2. gsm(1900+850) + umts (1900+850)
3. umts (2100)

is that what you needed to know?
Yes, exactly! Thanks so much!!

Well, it's identical to Verizon. So I can probably pick up either. And it's possibly lying (listing options you don't actually have) since we know that #2 is wrong: only AT&T's Tilt2 does those UMTS bands.

We still don't know whether the Sprint/Verizon TP2 does UMTS 900mhz (I sort of doubt it), but we can be pretty sure they're identical, and that PDADB is wrong.

It'd be interesting to know what someone on T-Mobile sees, since the UMTS 1700 band should show up there. Anyone?
Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

there were seriously like 50 diff. gsm carriers listed in the settings, so i'm guessing if you go sprint, you'll be able to use it there.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wobumang is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eval- View Post
Uhm, could someone who wants to Answer the Question reply??

Someone with a Sprint Touch Pro 2, who can check "GSM only" mode?

If you want to know why I am bring a phone to Europe, look here: http://www.base.de/handys/handy_deta...23&tarifId=452

Yes, that's right, the SUBSIDIZED PHONE WITH PLAN starting >$500. Unsubsidized, at $750. Unfortunately, I am not rich enough to pay Google $570 or a German carrier the same for a Snapdragon phone, no matter how much I want one. This is why many people in Europe import US phones, even though they get there first.

I would really appreciate if future replies in this thread gave me less advice on how to spend money I don't have instead of ANSWERING THE QUESTION I ASKED. Besides, many German carriers knock 10Euro off your per-month bill if you bring your own phone. So let's see... phones cost $100-$200 more in Europe, and I can save $170 on my bill if I bring my own phone... what's a student to do?

And no, you will not "always" have problems. Guess what phone CMONEX (creator of HardSPL and the TP2 SIM unlocker) uses in Europe? A Sprint Touch Pro 2. Enough said.

PS. When I have been employed for a year and I have some money, I will happily spend it on a dual-core Tegra2 phone, which will blow the N1/HD2 out of the water. For now, buying a phone that allows me to continue to participate in the porting of Android to older HTCs, and to save $400 is actually more exciting. Plus, my Google friend may sell me his Nexus when he switches to Verizon in the fall. Now, could someone with a Sprint TP2 please tell me if you see UMTS 900 when you're in GSM-only mode??
did you click the link in my post? it was the greater portion thereof, with a chart!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobumang View Post
did you click the link in my post? it was the greater portion thereof, with a chart!
Dude, your link is the first link in this thread, in my post! And if you read that thread we link to, you'll see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepriestenator
That's the only one left unanswered. Hope someone can clarify this.

Q1. Are the Verizon, Sprint and Telus versions of the TP2 identical as far as the hardware is concerned? The only difference I can find between the 3 of them as compared on PDADB is that the Verizon and Telus versions support only UMTS2100 instead of both UMTS 900 / 2100 like the Spint version. We need this sorted out. Is the info at PDADB not accurate?
So, he didn't get an answer... but I'm suspecting PDADB is wrong...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
900, sprint, touch pro 2, umts, verizon