PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Active Data connection?

What is going on when the taskbar icon shows Active Data?
I have misfortune's 2.0 taskbar & it shows dark up/down arrows on the signal globe icon.
Is this in anyway draining battery?

I have my Gmail on pocket exchange outlook set forpush mail sync as it arrives but else nothing else is on.

My Hotmail is also set for push mail arrival also.

Last edited by Q_Q; 01-25-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Threadstarter

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Active Data connection?

Could it really be the push mail polling?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Based on what i've read over time in the forum regarding battery life, having push internet/mail on does help in draining the battery. And i'm guessing since you have you gmail/hotmail account set to push everytime you receive an email, that's the reason why your Active Data icon is always on display on your screen. The phone needs to be connected so it can download your gmail/hotmail messages as it arrives. why don't you just set it to check every two hours? And you need to check emails before that set time, you can always manually send/receive. From my experience, the more data my phone pulls in and the longer it is connected for data, the faster the battery drain.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Last edited by Mojary; 01-25-2010 at 07:27 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

probably some user error,

que que
Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

awesome sig mojary.

anyways back on topic. i use push email and ive tried without it and while i will say there is a hit in battery life, i personally dont believe its all that significant. of course this is just my opinion i dont have any data on the matter.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

jshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIP

depending on your task bar, some of the taskbars will show an "always active" data connection. If you are running a fresh rom, and you know you don't have stuff constantly running, i wouldn't worry with it.

Radio: 2.35.00WF
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post

awesome sig mojary.
thanks for the comp redd214. based on experience....and trust me, although it wasn't meant, i was the one that did the dragging down....LOL!!

edit for the thread topic:
i tried to do a little experiment yesterday afternoon to replicate and see how much of a battery drain push email/polling did on my phone. although i am running on custom ROM with no "aftermarket" task bar. i do agree with redd214. when i checked this morning, it wasn't of a great battery drainer...minimal from what i was able to determine. maybe check into jshaas2 and boo boo's replies too?

Last edited by Mojary; 01-26-2010 at 02:11 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2