PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Custom ROMS... Will sprint get mad?

carriers definitely dont encourage Custom ROM flashing, that being said, Sprint cant tell wirelessly that youve flashed a custom ROM, and even most Sprint stores wont be able to tell unless that specific person has some knowledge of flashing. If someone comes in my service center with a custom ROM, i just let them know before i can do anything with device i have to flash the stock ROM. Most people are cool with it, if not, i hand the device back and DBR in eticket lol.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Shift/Bold
Carrier: Sprint

tr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to tr0s Send a message via Yahoo to tr0s Send a message via Skype™ to tr0s

ironically i just dropped my phone off at a sprint store to get the front face and keyboard replaced. was running silence 012 at the time. i just asked for a tech before i gave them any info and was like "ok hypothetically speaking if i were to be running a hacked rom on this phone would you care?". He started telling me how he used to run mighty on his tp1, has a tp2 but switched to the hero before the unlocker dropped. he was actually anxious to check out how it ran on the tp2. anyways, long story short he replaces the front half of my phone with a brand new piece and i walked out the door without paying anything... i was pumped! (i have tep) I just didn't want to have to flash stock, relock, take it in, then unlock then flash and unlock the sim again..... major pia process.

"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -- F. Bueller
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0s View Post
ironically i just dropped my phone off at a sprint store to get the front face and keyboard replaced. was running silence 012 at the time. i just asked for a tech before i gave them any info and was like "ok hypothetically speaking if i were to be running a hacked rom on this phone would you care?". He started telling me how he used to run mighty on his tp1, has a tp2 but switched to the hero before the unlocker dropped. he was actually anxious to check out how it ran on the tp2. anyways, long story short he replaces the front half of my phone with a brand new piece and i walked out the door without paying anything... i was pumped! (i have tep) I just didn't want to have to flash stock, relock, take it in, then unlock then flash and unlock the sim again..... major pia process.
That is pretty cool.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Shift/Bold

tr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to tr0s Send a message via Yahoo to tr0s Send a message via Skype™ to tr0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
That is pretty cool.
yeah i don't really recommend doing that to anyone, i was just in there checking out the hero and moment. they asked if i needed anything and the cracked bezel on the tp2 was bugging the hell outta me so i figured what the hey, won't hurt to ask.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned User

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0s View Post
yeah i don't really recommend doing that to anyone, i was just in there checking out the hero and moment. they asked if i needed anything and the cracked bezel on the tp2 was bugging the hell outta me so i figured what the hey, won't hurt to ask.
Yeah definitely. It's cool that you found someone there that had used custom ROMs. I doubt that would happen at a T-Mobile store.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

Quote:
I thought that Verizon, back in the day of locking GPS, would re-lock it if they found that it was unlocked on your phone remotely.
Not sure how they would accomplish that as it's something the user had to change, and the user also likely had to have their phone unlocked and hacked to start with to do so, likely getting rid of any backdoor that may have been there. I've never heard of any carrier being able to remotely spy on the devices connected or being able to change anything on said devices.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
Not sure how they would accomplish that as it's something the user had to change, and the user also likely had to have their phone unlocked and hacked to start with to do so, likely getting rid of any backdoor that may have been there. I've never heard of any carrier being able to remotely spy on the devices connected or being able to change anything on said devices.
Based on what I've read, I'm pretty sure that Verizon has unlocked this capability.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

gtmethod3 is keeping up the good workgtmethod3 is keeping up the good workgtmethod3 is keeping up the good work

Thanks all for the advice! You have been thanked!

I figured it would be better to keep things simple by flashing back to stock.

Thanks again
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Based on what I've read, I'm pretty sure that Verizon has unlocked this capability.
The Verizon TP2 has the GPS unlocked from the factory, it is not like the older phones where you had to do it yourself.

I got to know a VZ tech who works in a VZ outlet near where I work. He has actually brought me a few VZ phones to customize for him as I have had more experience doing those type of things than he has.

Back in the TP days, we used to port Sprint hardware phones to run on VZ service for people he knew so they could run the better Sprint hardware (I would do all the work on the phone, then he would add the ESN to VZs data base). Now that the hardware is the same for VZ & Sprint that became unnecessary but we still compare RPMs with each other.

~John
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextohel View Post
Don't worry about those flashed ROMs. Sprint won't care. They actually encourage it. They have no way of knowing what you did to your phone. In fact, if you have a problem and need to visit a Sprint store with your phone, they will give you a brand new one so you can flash it again.
Why would you even post something like this? Truth of the matter is, Sprint is supposed to turn down any warenty claim if they find a custom rom on the device or at the very least, flash a stock rom on. now you may find a store/ person who doesn't care, but that is rare. What you posted what just wrong and inaccurate.
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2