PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP 2
Carrier: Sprint

yazyazoo is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cheapest way to use Sprint TP2 w/ MR in Italy?

My wife and I just booked a trip to Italy. We both have Sprint phones that have World Capability. I have the TP2 with MightyRom and she has a Blackberry Tour.

I was wondering what would be the cheapest option for using our phones out there to keep in touch in case we get lost. Would using the Sprint International Plan the easiest? I read that it may be best to just buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy when we land. I want to be able to text and maybe call back to the US to tell our parents we landed safely.

Will the MightyRom still work with the Sprint International Plan? Will the MightyRom work with any SIM card or do I need to do anything else to the phone before I leave?

Thanks for and advice!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 AM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP
Re: Cheapest way to use Sprint TP2 w/ MR in Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazyazoo View Post
My wife and I just booked a trip to Italy. We both have Sprint phones that have World Capability. I have the TP2 with MightyRom and she has a Blackberry Tour.

I was wondering what would be the cheapest option for using our phones out there to keep in touch in case we get lost. Would using the Sprint International Plan the easiest? I read that it may be best to just buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy when we land. I want to be able to text and maybe call back to the US to tell our parents we landed safely.

Will the MightyRom still work with the Sprint International Plan? Will the MightyRom work with any SIM card or do I need to do anything else to the phone before I leave?

Thanks for and advice!
I don't know about for your wife's blackberry, but buying a prepaid sim card should work fine on your Sprint TP2, just make sure you have your phone in GSM (in the phone settings). You shouldn't have to do anything for the sim card to work on your TP2, but if you want to use the sprint roaming, then you have to call sprint ahead of time and have them activate that service, and you may have to use their sim card that came with the phone for that to work. The Sprint TP2 out of the box comes unlocked for non-US GSM sim cards, so you should be good to go.

Please remember to THANK me if I helped you!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I just got back from France/Italy and the Sprint service works fine there. You can get the SIM car free and sign up for data at $2 a day. I use that plus Skype mobile and it is very cheap. I have also tested local SIM cards, but they generally do not get you data. Have been in about 10 countries with the Sprint service and it works fine.

Enjoy and eatta lotta pasta, Ciao!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

jeryyyy
So are you able to pay per day for unlimited internet? That sounds interesting to use skype mobile. I will have to look into that for the TP2 and Blackberry.

Did you charger work out there?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

Quote:
jeryyyy
So are you able to pay per day for unlimited internet? That sounds interesting to use skype mobile. I will have to look into that for the TP2 and Blackberry.

they add it has a monthly plan, just cancel when you get back and it will be prorated.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2

defaultdotxbe is just getting started

Quote:
the charger will work (its rated 100-240v) but youll have to buy an adaptor for it to fit the wall plugs there. it shouldnt be expensive (5 dollars, 10 at most) since you dont need a voltage converter, just the plug adaptor

when i went to germany i bought 1 adaptor, and used a power strip for my phone, digital camera, video camera and laptop
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

When looking at this Sprint PDF they charge data at $0.016/KB. If I use Skype for a voice call approximately how many KB is 5 min of talking?

I am on the SERO plan if this makes any difference. I did not see an unlimited data plan that could be used for Skype.

Last edited by yazyazoo; 06-22-2010 at 01:53 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2