PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   gmail in messaging (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8468)

CarlB 09-14-2007 01:48 AM

gmail in messaging

I am trying to set up gmail in messaging on my 6800. I have set it up completely and can send mail. It seems I cannot receive any mail. If I hit send an receive it will go through connecting - logging on- looking for changes- disconnecting. But nothing ever shows up in my inbox. POP is enabled in Gmail on my computer.

ikon 09-14-2007 02:10 AM

Check Port Settings

From the gmail site...

You can use the following information to configure POP with many mail clients.

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL:pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS:smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587

Account Name: your Gmail username (including @gmail.com)
Email Address: your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com)
Password: your Gmail password

Normally when I see this problem, it is due to wrong port settings

jloden78 09-14-2007 02:12 AM

You might need to fix your settings also. I think it is defaulted to only download from the past 3 days on your phone.

B18DelSolT 09-14-2007 02:18 AM

are you testing by emailing yourself? if so it doesnt work that way. email yourself from another account if you have one, or wait to receive an email. i was doing that for a while then noticed that i was never receiving my own from gmail. hope thats your problem

CarlB 09-14-2007 12:52 PM

I am sending mail to another email account and then replying to check if I can receive. I can send things from my phone flawlessly but my inbox remains empty even though I have 3 new emails in my inbox.

How do I set the ports? There is no box for it as far as I can see.

I tried doing them like this.

pop.gmail.com:995

smtp.gmail.com:465

ikon 09-14-2007 03:42 PM

WM5 or 6?

Are you running WM5 or 6? I just setup my gmail on WM6 and it successfully configured itself.

scotbotmosh 09-14-2007 04:14 PM

Same problem for me here too even on WM6...?

NetApex 09-14-2007 04:22 PM

Yeah that happens to me too from time to time whenever I simply "look" at my settings in gmail. For some reason if you don't change a setting when you open up the dialog in gmail (from checking 3 days worth to all mail or the other way) it just stops getting mail for me. So click past the days and save it and try again.

scotbotmosh 09-14-2007 04:31 PM

Who would have thought my Hotmail works better than gmail...other than Bill Gates...

CarlB 09-14-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetApex (Post 87555)
Yeah that happens to me too from time to time whenever I simply "look" at my settings in gmail. For some reason if you don't change a setting when you open up the dialog in gmail (from checking 3 days worth to all mail or the other way) it just stops getting mail for me. So click past the days and save it and try again.

Bingo. I had to switch it to download "all messages" and it works. But.. Ihave 400 messages to download now.

Thanks for the tip.