PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mogul no longer recognized by Activesync/PC (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8079)

phunzoid 09-06-2007 10:35 AM

Mogul no longer recognized by Activesync/PC

my Mogul and Activesync were working fine, on 2 different PCs, but now the mogul is not recognized at all by either PC...i get the same error message on both PCs about a USB device not working properly and that XP can't recognize the device

i completely uninstalled then reinstalled the latest Activesync on both computers, soft booted the mogul a couple of times, but still nothing....just that nasty error message

the only thing i've been playing around with is syncing my mogul with Mail2Web.com's exchange servers and Yahoo Go!...but this hasn't caused a problem with AS before

what could have caused this?

also, i read something about changing some settings at Settings-Connections-USB to PC, but when I try to go to that screen i immediately get dumped back to the mogul's desktop...which leads me to believe something got corrupted somewhere

Darkness231 09-06-2007 10:43 AM

I just recently had this issue and it was caused by PCM Keyboard... Have you installed any new programs installed.. you may have to start installing programs one by one

phunzoid 09-06-2007 10:49 AM

actually, i installed Resco Keyboard recently...not sure if ActiveSync worked since then

guess i'll try uninstalling stuff and see if it solves my issue

better than a hard reset :-)

thanks for the advice

phunzoid 09-06-2007 11:20 PM

arrrgghhh...i uninstalled some apps, but nothing...so i went ahead and did a HARD reset

still not recognized by Activesync/PC....still getting the USB device not functioning properly error message

guess my USB port must be fried

have had this thing less than 60 days...hopefully Sprint will make me good without too much hassle

gpmoore 09-07-2007 12:33 AM

Same problem here -- now fixed! I did endless web searches, uninstalled all kinds of potential culprit programs, uninstalled/reinstalled activesync -- all to no avail. The confusing thing was that the phone still charged when plugged in. I was very frustrated until finally I connected my "old" motoQ and realized that it synced fine. So I did more investigation and realized that somehow 2 of the pins for the mini usb connector (bottom of phone) were bent (who knows how that happened?). I took a magnifying glass and a razor blade and carefully bent them back up -- voila it works fine. Be careful though, the pins are very small and seem somewhat frail -- if you break one you are screwed. Hope this helps you and anyone else in a similar position!

phunzoid 09-07-2007 10:13 AM

yep, mine still charges fine too

and i just looked at the USB port on my phone, and i do notice that 2 pins look to be much lower than the others....pins 2 & 3 counting from left to right

will try performing corrective "surgery" after work today :-)

thanks for the heads up

Darkness231 09-07-2007 10:46 AM

That would make sense, since the 2 outer pins are use for power and the inner 2(or3) are for the data

phunzoid 09-07-2007 03:11 PM

GPMoore, you were exactly correct, bending the pins back up solved my problem, thanks !! :-)

if this issue becomes pervasive, this thread may need to become a sticky :-(

sspasm 02-04-2011 11:11 PM

Re: Mogul no longer recognized by Activesync/PC

Years later, this info is still valid. I found a bent pin #3 (data+) on my antique XV6800 that allowed it to charge, but not sync. A few minutes of micro metalwork and all is better. Thanks again for the clues!

Tinkerbell 02-05-2011 12:42 AM

Re: Mogul no longer recognized by Activesync/PC

Wow!! I guess that is the power of PPCGeeks!! Glad you got it fixed there!