PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus 128gb
Carrier: AT&T

jtrag is keeping up the good workjtrag is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jtrag Send a message via MSN to jtrag Send a message via Yahoo to jtrag Send a message via Skype™ to jtrag
I had the same issues with Mobile Shell installed and other SPB software. It was eating up a lot of memory. I got a program called memaid and set the program cache for all my programs to run off of the storage card and it seemed to fix the problem. I don't use a lot of those programs anymore but I'm still experimenting with software so I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

papped is a n00b
Yeah the SPB programs are really a memory hog...

I stopped using SPB period and use htc x button and htc home plug and the ram is better now.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Mobility

fablife is just getting started
Weird - I installed the home plugin and had a much larger usage of memory that I did with spb mobile shell.

The plugin would suck atlease 2.5 mb more ram for me.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Lurker

newst is a n00b
I'm running both SPB Mobile Shell and SPB Phone and have no memory leak problem. Consistantly have 20+ MB RAM free when I check while not running anything but background programs.

Steve
Old 07-29-2007, 09:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

rawr is a n00b
I wonder if WM6 manages the memory like Vista does and predictively preloads commonly used apps in the memory to facilitate for faster loading, thus giving the impression of a memory leak.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr
I wonder if WM6 manages the memory like Vista does and predictively preloads commonly used apps in the memory to facilitate for faster loading, thus giving the impression of a memory leak.
negative.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

rawr is a n00b
ahh well, it would have been a good theory.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

andason is keeping up the good workandason is keeping up the good workandason is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to andason
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr
I did read somewhere that it does keep in memory commonly used "paths" and gradually eliminates the paths after a period of time / the path is not used again. I'll see if i can find it and post it in its entirety.

Posted from a member at xda:
The memory "leak" thing is nothing more than a cache "optimization" in place to make the device respond snappier.
Whether it succeeds or not is another story altogether...

Basically, like any cache, it stores recent calculations for faster response later. For example, if you open and close IE alot, you might notice that the first time you open it on a fresh restart takes a little bit longer than the next times- that's because the second time you start it up, parts of it are still in memory from the first time!

You might be wondering why this happens even after forcing it closed with Xbutton or the memory settings. That's because the info stored in the performance cache aren't directly related to any one program! Many apps can use the same routines and calculations, and therefore this process exists on a processor/file system layer as opposed to a software layer, and therefore also exists even when all programs are closed!

Meaning, if I have mapopolis that uses a certain routine to access my BT GPS receiver, even after I close it, some of that routine stays in memory because perhaps Google Maps will use the same routine, and therefore respond faster!

Now, ideally, this should speed up performance, and it SHOULD disappear on its own if the memory is needed and the information goes "stale" (hasn't been processed in a while = not really needed for optimized perfomance). However, one look at the way Microsoft handles "automatically closing apps" (native X button, anyone?) is enough to know that WM can't manage its own memory very well.
I can, however, vouch for the fact that the longer you leave all programs closed, the more of your memory starts to creep back into available. I've sat and watched this happen. So, it sort of works, but perhaps not well enough if people are having low memory system crash problems.

Now, before you all start blaming MS for this... Its not Microsoft's problem. They developed CE-5 (which WM6 is based on) on machines limited to 32MB to make sure the programmers didn't get lazy with OS bloat.
Its the manufacturers who add all this file system optimization and stuff to their final device. In this case, its the way HTC thinks the system should run, which is why this anomaly is NOT as apparent on, say, a WM Treo device.

The good news is that if we complain enough, HTC might realize this optimization does more bad than good, and leave it out on the next ROM update for us.
However, truth be told, I think it works. The Mogul is one of the snappiest PPC's I've used of late, although I can't say for sure if its because of the cache or not.
This is just my personal opinion, so don't flog me! I just don't look at the memory useage anymore unless I'm having a problem, which mind you, I hardly do.
My most recent observations were this:
Soft reset gives me ~21MB (got some htc plugins), and after a day of use, making sure to close everything after I'm done, I get 18-19MB. At lowest, I hit 10MB after closing alot of apps. This memory usually comes back to 18-19mb in a matter of time for me. If for some strange reason it doesn't (can't say how often this happens), I soft reset.
All in all, I'm happy with the Mogul.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

papped is a n00b
I have about 2-3mb more ram free using htc x button + htc home plug vs spb mobile shell + spb pocket plus
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc mogul
Carrier: sprint

wiinex is a n00b
This is what my situation is. I have installed all of the stuff I need on my 2gb mini sd card. When I soft reset for fresh start i have 20mb left. when i started using the apps i was running about 10 to 15 apps, the ram goes down to 5mb. when i stopped all the running program from the settings>memory the ram went up to only 10mb. then i left the phone alone and only used call and sms feature couple of times. by the end of the day the ram is up to 17mb. I do think that wm6 is trying to keep the starting up memory portion of the apps so that when you start the app again it would only take few seconds to load. I noticed big difference when i used java opera mini beta 4 first time and closed it and opened it again. it responds a lot faster the second time.

They have only added very little ram memory on wm6 version. it would have been nice if it was atleast 125mb or something. Also i think that using the storage card had something to do with how the apps responds. if you bought a cheap storage card and has a really slow reading capability the apps may slow down as well and takes a lot of memory just for searching for what the pocket pc thought was there befire but this time couldnt find it as fast as it would want to start it.

I know this didnt really help the problem but i do think its not a leak. I dont mind a couple of seconds of waiting time for any of my apps to load as long as the benefit is cutting down on soft resetting bcuz sometimes its really anoying when im doing something on the phone and then it slows down because i guess i went over the limit and had to soft reset. if wm6 had more ram to handle all the apps or maybe having an updated rom that will get rid of that patch, make the ok and x button actually close the app.

Sprint - HTC Mugol -2006 / Present
Sprint - UTStarcom PPC6700 -2006 / 2006
T-mobile - Nokia 3220 -2004 / 2006
T-mobile - Sony Ericsson T300 -2003 / 2004
Cingular - Nokia 8270 -2002 / 2003
Cingular - Nokia 3360 -2000 / 2002

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan