PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kenshinvt is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon won't add Alltel ESN - help!

Hey how can I check when I have EVDO working? Is that just when I get the EVDO Icon up on the screen?

If so, that is up now. I'm getting a wrong password dialing #777 error when trying to access the internet. From here, I'm guessing I just need to use EPST to enter the MIP settings from this post? Then use the public DMU listed there and I'm set?->
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=20090

Btw I also just got off the phone with customer service. I added the unlimited $30 data plan. He couldn't tell what kind of device I have (and my online account shows unknown). I told him I had the HTC VX6800 and he added it no problem. For other people reading, the reason I didn't use the website to add the plan is that online only shows the $39 data plan that gives corporate email server access.

Using the PRL to get the ESN registered was so easy to do.. I wonder why any of the other threads even bother with telling people to contact live support.

Last edited by kenshinvt; 12-30-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

kdj67f is becoming a great contributor

Yes, make sure M.IP settings are current for the 6800. The hardest part was waiting for the data settings on the carrier end to drop. I had to wait about half an hour before I could even connect to 1x data.

The trick is to blank the HA and AAA shared secret keys (I think I used QPST) then force 1x mode to have them re-written.

My phone settings were hidden (there is a reg edit to re-enable them which I don't remember what it was) so I had to go in to EPST, select view info and choose modem settings. Under the HDR hyprid preferred setting, choosing disable will reboot and force 1x.

Reversing the process and choosing enable will turn on EVDO again. Once you get data working again that is. If you start with HA and AAA shared secret keys blank, then force 1x and do some web browsing for a minute or two, check them again in the EPST settings. When gibberish replaces the blank spots, enable HDR hybrid preferred and reboot. Then check EVDO data works.

The easiest way to force 1x is to go to Start/settings/phone/services/mode of operation and get settings. Check 1x only and that should work too. Like I said, my advanced settings were disabled so i did it the hard way.

Last edited by kdj67f; 12-30-2008 at 06:12 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kenshinvt is a n00b

Ok, thanks, I can get to that "mode of operations" page on mine it looks like (maybe b/c Im running DCD?). I did the MIP settings in EPST. Now I just need to do the DMU using QPST in ##DIAG mode?

Also, the EV icon means EVDO is working fine right?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

EV means you have a signal, you will have to launch a web browser to see if data works in EV. It will error out if it doesn't. Sounds like you pretty much have it down.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kenshinvt is a n00b

Thanks for the above tips on the EVDO stuff.

I uploaded a DMU (via QPST) and then found I couldn't browse the web (#777 wrong username/pass). So I went back to EPST (##77 and saw that some of the "Security" settings still reflected @alltel.net suffixes. Changed those and the PPP password to "vzw". The HDR AN AUTH password field is set to the ESN HEX.

Now I can access data on 1X mode. It doesn't list any service provider on the wireless field of the today screen. When I switch to "EVDO Only", however, it says "ALLTEL Extended" on the home screen. Data on the web browser transfers fine in this mode too.

EPST reveals that I have an HA shared secret, but the AAA Shared Secret key is still blank. Also I should mention that I did a *228 opt 1 and opt 2 to make sure that info is up to date after doing all of the above.

Is there any way I can prevent it from using alltel extended in this situation? I'm assuming this is a bad thing, since it is showing that it is in roaming mode when it should be finding some VZW towers in this area. Any clue why this is happening? I'm guessing it's not doing it in 1X mode, but I have no way of knowing (it may just only tell me that I'm on Alltel on EVDO Only mode).

Last edited by kenshinvt; 12-30-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

The roaming is probably from a alltel PRI. The same thing happens on my touch pro because of a sprint PRI. Verizon doesnt charge for data roaming if you have a verizon PRL though, so no worries about getting charged. I am on my titan right now away from my computer, But check your PRI version against the latest for vzw. I think it is 2.03_1 or something like that. here or on xda ther should be a verizon PRI update cab. search that and change your operator name in qpst. good luck, i will get back to my computer later tonight.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kenshinvt is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdj67f View Post
EV means you have a signal, you will have to launch a web browser to see if data works in EV. It will error out if it doesn't. Sounds like you pretty much have it down.
Ok. I managed to find that cab and now my device info reflects VZW's PRI 2.03.

in EVDO mode, however, I still get the roaming triangle and the ALLTEL Extended banner. Even if I set roaming mode to "home only" the same thing happens?

Also, where is that operator name you mentioned in QPST? I searched through all the config pages and didn't see it--is that really my only problem or am I likely still roaming?

After doing some reading.. it appears that I may need to update my ERI to solve the problem? ERI Version is 100 in device information. I can also access ##ERI but of course I have nothing to write with.

Last edited by kenshinvt; 12-31-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just FYi, Verizon and Alltel are still seperate. Sure it is offical thanks to the FCC, but it isn't really there.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I am not so sure the eri will eliminate the roaming triangle. As far as my foreign eqipment goes, it always says I am roaming but i never get charged with data roaming like if I roam in canada. it is more a function of the pri and the prl saying your on roam but your provisioned on vzw now. i will have to do a little more research later this morning. I would not worry in the meantime.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kenshinvt is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdj67f View Post
I am not so sure the eri will eliminate the roaming triangle. As far as my foreign eqipment goes, it always says I am roaming but i never get charged with data roaming like if I roam in canada. it is more a function of the pri and the prl saying your on roam but your provisioned on vzw now. i will have to do a little more research later this morning. I would not worry in the meantime.
Ok - let me know if you figure anything out.

I would like to think it is really using verizon's towers and some alltel residual data is making it look like it is roaming (which is correct in that it is roaming from the perspective of an alltel network device).

The thing I'm really concerned about is in another thread someone posted a link to verizon policy page showing that in-network calling doesn't count if you place the calls while roaming. That's a pretty big deal for me considering the majority of my calling. I wish there was somewhere I could see what service provider cell towers the phone is actually connected to.

I'm still really new to all of this flashing and HTC modification stuff, but it looks like pretty much any data on the phone can be modified using the range of tools from QPST to Rom Update Utilities. So I assume whatever forces it to use an alltel interpretation of towers needs to be modified. From reading other threads, my best guess is the ERI data. Let me know what you think or you get any other ideas on where that information can be changed (also - if you find out how to update to verizon's ERI without a total stock flash so that I could try that).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan