PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333
Storage for extra MicroSD card

Now that the 16GB MicroSD cards are out, it's inevitable that all smaller capacity MicroSD are gonna drop in price.

I have a 8GB card in my phone and figured that since it's easy to find 8GB cards for dirt cheap, that I'd pick up a spare to store movies and/or music on.

As nice as it would be to have a 16GB card, so I wouldn't have to worry about taking out one card to switch to another, I just can't afford to buy one right now.

I came up with a way to carry my extra memory card, without having to worry about where I had it, and whether or not its been misplaced.

Behind the stock battery cover, there is a spot that works perfect for holding the card....all I had to do was remove a small part of the plastic 'backbone' that is there to give the cover its rigidity.

I've attached some pictures of the back cover and highlighted the area where I removed the small piece of plastic.

All that I used to remove the plastic ridge, was a small pocket knife.

Using the knife, I just shaved down that ridge until it was flush with the rest of the battery cover.

Then I used a small piece of scotch tape to hold the card in place.

I have an Alltel 6800, so I don't know if the Sprint, or Verizon 6800s have the same pattern on the back of their battery covers. I know the Sprint Mogul looks exactly the same as the Alltel version, so I can't imagine that their battery covers would be too structurally different.

Placing a spare memory card inside your phone's battery cover like I have will expose it to any heat that is given off by the battery, so do this at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage caused to anyone's MicroSD card because they choose to store an extra card in this fashion.

That said, I have checked my card from time to time, to see just how hot it was getting inside of there, and it never seemed to get to bad, even with heavy phone usage....and I haven't noticed any lost files, or corruption of the card in any way.

-Keir-

P.S. Sorry if the pics are a little blurry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back Cover 001.JPG (523.7 KB, 168 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Back Cover 002.JPG (179.2 KB, 140 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Back Cover 003.JPG (204.2 KB, 132 views) Click for barcode!
Old 11-28-2008, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

myhollowworld2 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Storage for extra MicroSD card

Neat little idea. I checked the back cover of my Sprint and it has the same design. I'll keep this in mind.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

rbibb04 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to rbibb04

i just swapped my mogul out for a brand new one. i was jealous of not having the touch pro, not to mention my mogul was really beat up after over a year of use and tweeking with programs off this site. but anyway, the inside of my battery cover is not designed like that anymore.. i wish you had pics with the newer cover.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800

nick aguas is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnick aguas is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnick aguas is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnick aguas is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

don't worry about the heat. i've had my flashing SD card in that spot for over 6 months now and it still works great. i havent heard of anyone else having problems with it behind the cover anyway.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

the cover has 2 slot like this..if ur paranoid about the heat you could do this at the top off the case under the slots for the speaker..

kinda nifty but I don't trust it...plus if u drop your phone and the cover falls off im guessin that tape isn't gonna hold and bye bye card(?specially if its at night)
Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800

nick aguas is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnick aguas is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnick aguas is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnick aguas is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
the cover has 2 slot like this..if ur paranoid about the heat you could do this at the top off the case under the slots for the speaker..

kinda nifty but I don't trust it...plus if u drop your phone and the cover falls off im guessin that tape isn't gonna hold and bye bye card(?specially if its at night)
nope, as i said. works great. no problems with the heat, and ive dropped it once in the past 6 months to actually lose the cover, and the tape held it on perfectly. if it does pop off, just use a light program to find it again.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro & Touch

delawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

That's a great idea!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post

The spot on the top up by the speaker doesn't work(atleast not on my Alltel 6800) because there isn't enough depth for the card to fit properly.

Behind the cover, where the battery is, there is enough depth for the cover to fit back on, exactly the way it's supposed to, even with the card taped inside.

-Keir-
Old 12-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

og512 is a n00b

damn. that's pretty cool. thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

That's a great idea, but I agree. If you drop your phone at all, the battery cover loves to get as far away as possible - and the battery follows right behind (stupid design). (That new OnStar commercial about a cell phone being reliable after an accident made me wonder about my phone).

Anyways... maybe it would be possible to have some sort of memory card holder "installed" on the back of the cover. Maybe a holder similar to a SIM card holder (if it will fit).

But I definitely love the idea! Especially since the 8GB SDHC is only $15-$18.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan