PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

B18DelSolT is keeping up the good workB18DelSolT is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to B18DelSolT Send a message via MSN to B18DelSolT Send a message via Yahoo to B18DelSolT
Quote:
Originally Posted by moats75
at the product training we had on wednesday the HTC rep said that there will be no need to use a puck as the GPS will be usable for navigation and turned on out of the box.
i dunno, kinda seems to good to be true.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
OMG! WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO BELIEVE?

For cr*p sakes the chip has a GPSONE chip built right in. HTC has told people it IS able to be activated, but is disabled at carrier request.

However, carriers seem to have dificulty using it in a WinMobile environment (lack of instructions?). So they can't charge us for the nav features.

So why not open it up to consumers?

Have Wifi and GPS on your phone???
Check out Navizon. It's $$$ in your pocket!
http://my.navizon.com/Webapps/UserAd..._code=5E5D5D5F
Navizon- Get paid $s to use your phones GPS & Wifi!

My Navizon Thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21590
Old 05-04-2007, 02:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6700 / Mogul

boyo is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe
The poster of the Verizon phone in PDAphones home did not have to dial 911 to get his GPS info - http://stuff.michiganbroadband.com/x...s/DSCF0201.jpg
Are you sure, there's an active call in that screenshot.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Titan
Carrier: Verizon

Christopher Price is starting in the wrong direction
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy

However, carriers seem to have dificulty using it in a WinMobile environment (lack of instructions?). So they can't charge us for the nav features.

So why not open it up to consumers?
You nailed it. They want a closed API to charge folks like TeleNav and Garmin to access it... and keep free apps like Google Maps out.

And yes, it's that simple. Verizon says they're working on one... Sprint hasn't confirmed they are or not.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
Good to see you back Chistopher!

I can't help but be optimistic. Even if it's opened up on the 6800 that may be the clues needed to enable it on the 6700s...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 AM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Threadstarter

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgie
boe, can you please point me in the direction to back up your statement that Sprint deliberately disabld the gpsOne unit in the 6700? if you don't have any hard evidence, all it is is naysay, or as you call it, "bogus".sledgie
http://cameronsayshey.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=52

Response (Dario O.) 01/08/2007 02:16 PM
I am UTStarcom PDA Coordinator: I looked up your name and we only see one from today when you spoke to Aly N.

Your questions about the chipset are proprietary information some I cannot answer. The 6700 device does support GPS. The compatibility must be WM5.0 and must come with a bluetooth GPS connector.

My questions (Q and comments (C are as follows (I apologize for all of the 'Why's): (D) for Dario

Q:1. How can I place the phone into standalone mode?
C: Yes. It does support it. It is possible, everyone has come to that conclusion.
D: Sprint does not allow that feature through PPC6700 and there is no update for that feature.

Q:2. Why (If it is disabled) is it disabled?
D: Sprint disabled it

Q:3. How (If it is disabled) is it disabled?
D: Sprint's request

Q:4. If something is preventing enabling, what is it?
D: Proprietary information

Q:5. Why did Standalone work on the first generations of ROMs on the 6600?
D: Most likely with ROM 1.05wwe. Sprint and other carriers just wanted to disable that feature because they intend on not supporting "Standalone."

Q:6. Why does a Verizon VX6700 Phone (which is the same phone?), have the ability to gather data from fieldtrial.exe's GPS tab when making a call (to phone number: 922 and the obvious 911)? Some other people who are also as interested in this as myself with the sprint carrier, have tried every single thing possible, including dialing 911, but still not one single bit of data appears in fieldtrial.exe
C:I will try to save you from giving me the carrier dependent affiliation response. Dialing 911 is not a recommended action.
D: D: Proprietary information

Q:7. What is different between Sprint and Verizon's ROM that makes the change in operability, or am I missing something that is different in the schematics of the phone itself? D:Sprint's and Verizon's CDMA network and what they require to use in the 6700

C: I have heard everything: "It doesn't work on the Sprint BMF framework", "You need to be a Sprint Developer to have access to that function and API", and "You need a Certificate from VeriSign for 400$". Possibilities exist for everything. Nothing is impossible.
D: Where did you hear that? You install it through a storage card as an email attachment or through Enroller just sign in.

Most people do not understand my point of view. It is possible for me to buy a Bluetooth GPS receiver and have better accuracy, but I choose not to. It's not about the accuracy, it's about having something there, but not being able to touch it, to use it, to explore it's potential. It would be like buying a new car with ONStar® and not being able to use it because GM doesn't let you. I know this is definitely not the first inquiry you have received, and it will most likely not be the last.For this I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please feel free to do a little bit of investigation on this matter if you need to, and help me fix this problem. Thank you for your time and patience in reviewing this matter with me.

D: We go by what the carrier request's. So if Sprint's want us to enable or disable some feature with in the phone we go by their standards. Unfortunately Sprint will not have more updates for the PPC6700.[/b]
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 AM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Threadstarter

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe
The poster of the Verizon phone in PDAphones home did not have to dial 911 to get his GPS info - http://stuff.michiganbroadband.com/x...s/DSCF0201.jpg
Are you sure, there's an active call in that screenshot.
I didn't say they didn't have to make a call - I said they didn't have to call 911. You can find a great deal about non emergency numbers being used to gather this info if you search.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: None

xholmezx78 is a n00b
if the feature is truely there, isn't it possible that everyone can jump on the banwagon and file a class action lawsuit like ex. Verizon/Bluetooth w/V720 and crippling the device features???

I know there has been so much debate over if the device is even capable of true GPS or not. Has anyone disected the device and looked at the physical chipset to find out?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon

xmind2006 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by xholmezx78
if the feature is truely there, isn't it possible that everyone can jump on the banwagon and file a class action lawsuit like ex. Verizon/Bluetooth w/V720 and crippling the device features???
No because it was never advertised to have a working stand alone GPS, only AGPS. Not even the manufacturer (HTC) ever advertised it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xholmezx78
I know there has been so much debate over if the device is even capable of true GPS or not. Has anyone disected the device and looked at the physical chipset to find out?
It has been disected, but it didn't need to be. We know the communications chip that is inside the unit and the type of GPS (GPSone) that it has. So hardware is not the issue. It is getting the low-level software made to enable the feature, which isn't something that a crack programmer could do without some "inside" knowledge....but you never know...but still very unlikely though.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
The first Windows Mobile5.0 PPC phone with integrated GPS didn't come out until mid 2006, which actually had a SiRF Star III chipset.

The 6700 was released around mid 2005.
It sold effectively as it was. Purchased mine 2 years ago at $450, and recently seen it sold at local stores for $400 - and discontinued last month.

Current competition will force their hand to integrate a fully functioning GPS in future releases.

If they enabled the subpar navigation from the beginning it would've been just asking for trouble in more ways than one.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan