PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: VZW

Seriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USB Device Not Recognized

Hate to have to bring this up.....Aslo posted over at xda and no answer yet, but even after trying things from several threads, I still can't get vista, or even WHomeServer to recognize my Titan. Tried the usual, 'USB function uncheck', uninstall WMDC and reinstal. I even bought a new laptop with 64bit Vista home prem, and it did it right out of the box. Also used lots of different builds, kitchen and .exe's.

Well I am wondering about the usb port on the device. Are there 4 'wires' or 5?

Mine looks like this from front rightside up position > l lll < .... only four 'wires/conectors'.

So, my question is, how does your's look, and even though this will charge fine, do you think this can be the problem?

3.56 Rom
3.42.50 Radio
1.35_002 PRI

Thanks everyone for listening .... ok, well reading I guess...

Seriously
Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

raven is becoming a great contributor
Re: USB Device Not Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
Hate to have to bring this up.....Aslo posted over at xda and no answer yet, but even after trying things from several threads, I still can't get vista, or even WHomeServer to recognize my Titan. Tried the usual, 'USB function uncheck', uninstall WMDC and reinstal. I even bought a new laptop with 64bit Vista home prem, and it did it right out of the box. Also used lots of different builds, kitchen and .exe's.

Well I am wondering about the usb port on the device. Are there 4 'wires' or 5?

Mine looks like this from front rightside up position > l lll < .... only four 'wires/conectors'.

So, my question is, how does your's look, and even though this will charge fine, do you think this can be the problem?

3.56 Rom
3.42.50 Radio
1.35_002 PRI

Thanks everyone for listening .... ok, well reading I guess...

Seriously
There should be five and I am certain that is your problem. The typical pinout for the 5-pin mini-usb port is as follows:

1 2 3 4 5

| X | | |

Pin 1 -- +5 VDC
Pin 2 -- Data (-) -- This is your missing conductor.
Pin 3 -- Data (+)
Pin 4 -- NC or GND
Pin 5 -- GND

So, knowing this, the negative reference for your data line is floating which is causing bit errors when attempting to communicate with your host computer. This is also why the phone will still charge despite the missing pin.

Unfortunately, you're only fix will be having the usb port on your device repaired. Sorry for the bad news.

Last edited by raven; 09-10-2008 at 09:20 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

Seriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Thumbs up Re: USB Device Not Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
There should be five and I am certain that is your problem. The typical pinout for the 5-pin mini-usb port is as follows:

1 2 3 4 5

| X | | |

Pin 1 -- +5 VDC
Pin 2 -- Data (-) -- This is your missing conductor.
Pin 3 -- Data (+)
Pin 4 -- NC or GND
Pin 5 -- GND

So, knowing this, the negative reference for your data line is floating which is causing bit errors when attempting to communicate with your host computer. This is also why the phone will still charge despite the missing pin.

Unfortunately, you're only fix will be having the usb port on your device repaired. Sorry for the bad news.
Thank you very much Raven. Usually VZW tech support is the last I ask for help, but turns out, they did know of this and said exactly what you did. Luckily I have assurion and they are sending a replacement to be here tomorrow.
While searching for answers, I noticed many people having usb issues. While most were fixed with the more mundane solutions, some would benefit in getting under a good light and looking in their usb port (as well as reading your answer). Well, I appreciate your help very much!

thanks,

Seriously

[IMG][/IMG]

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan