PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
N00b
Carrier: Verizon

nitro66215 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Alltel GPS with A-GPS - super fast lockon

I agree Shadow-tech. It's super fast in comparison. And, it works fine on Verizon.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

tbhall77 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow-tech View Post
if u set ur gpsmode to 4 and it seems like it was better at 2 then let me know. im still searching for a way to test if the agps is actually working.

i have mine set to 4 and it is even faster then when i had it at 2.
I flipped mine back to gpsmode=2. I'm still getting 6sec using google maps and 10sec with TomTom7 while indoors. I'll keep playing with it, but is there any app you want us to keep testing with since there seems to be a slight difference in lock speed depending on which app used?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel
Threadstarter

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

look, if u getting 6 seconds locks then thats damn good. i just tried mine for the first time today i, no BS, got a lock in 1-2 seconds inside my house with 5 satalites, then i had 8 after 6 seconds.

Last edited by shadow-tech; 09-04-2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: housekeeping
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
MIA
Pocket PC: All HTC CDMA PPC

conflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation level

I just tried these, It was a lot faster, Thanks, I then just did a hard reset to see if the settings will stay, everything except for the registry but i can cook those settings in. just so everyone knows, I did this on my alltel touch and it worked grat, so i can confirm it works for the touch has well

Edit: The Hard reset does deleate the GPSOne settings, So just be sure you are aware of this if you do rest.

Edit: I also did some more testing, without doing to Registry edits then it is still the same old GPS, but once you do use the registry then it does lock a lot faster.
I do believe that AGPS is working and if its not really official then i can say it is going to be a lot faster no matter what. So this is a great find, and everyone do it, Great work shadow-tech

Last edited by conflipper; 09-03-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

housekeeping

gpsone setting does not normally get cleared on hard reset, But it can.

It can be cleared if you flash a new ROM or Hard Reset. You will need to redo this fix if that happens.

Both in QPST and the Registry.

Last edited by shadow-tech; 10-16-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: housekeeping
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch
Carrier: Sprint

ambush276 is a n00b

ok so im on VZW.. if i Follow this gudie and i ahve DCD's 3.2.6 ROM.... Will it work??

i mean VZW and alltell share roaming towers so technically they would have same towers...??? anybdy? Also will radio 3.37.75 be better than radio 3.42.50 which i currently have?

for vzw its GPS mode=2 right?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
N00b
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

tbhall77 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambush276 View Post
ok so im on VZW.. if i Follow this gudie and i ahve DCD's 3.2.6 ROM.... Will it work??

i mean VZW and alltell share roaming towers so technically they would have same towers...??? anybdy? Also will radio 3.37.75 be better than radio 3.42.50 which i currently have?

for vzw its GPS mode=2 right?
The info hasn't been out long enough for anyone to test all the radios. Stick to whatever you have now or use what I have. Just follow Shadow's instructions to the T. You wont be disappointed.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: US Cellular

BillThyCat is becoming a great contributor

Ok, well I went home at lunch, flashed back to DCD 3.1.6 so that I could get QPST to properly talk to my phone, updated the info in the post for PDE info, wrote it back to phone, reflashed back to 3.2.6 restored from backup, did not touch the registry. Loaded BAF's gpstoggle, turned it on and in about 10 seconds I had 5 satellites locked from inside my house. Mind you, I have plugged in my phone and turned it before, let it sit for an hour and never got a lock in my house. So this is definately an improvement. Went outside later, turned it on from in my garage, again, 4 sats locked. Backed up and had 6 and by the time I got to the highway I was at 7 sats locked. It's raining and overcast out today.

So it appears that their server is open to the public (or at least companys with roaming agreements with them).

So while it may be designed for Alltel, USCC customers apparently can take some advantage of this. Now it's only been 2 hours, so I'm not going to swear in public that this is a permanent fix, I plan to test with it over the next few days, but other than the very first day I flashed my phone, I've never gotten a GPS sync in under 3 or 4 minutes period.

BTC
Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6.0
Carrier: Alltel MP6900

Stevevo is just getting started

Thank you Shadow-Tech for this one. In the instructions when it says to run Wmodemdriverinstaller.exe is that to the XP Desktop or the mobile phone? It then goes on to say on #4 that On PC click start so was wondering about the instructions. I am thinking that this is on the Desktop Computer as on #6 it tells you to dial ##3424 then plug phone into USB cord. Hope this makes sence. I also did a reg edit a while back that helped the GPS when I edited GPSMode = 4 and went to 1 which helped my unit which is on Alltel. It does get a fix once in awhile but not every time I try. It sees satellites pretty fast but will not lock on until I hit the sleep button on top and then turn back on. I have noticed that sometime it doesn't work and the time will stop ticking on the GPSViewer program to prime the GPS. I will try your fix here and report back what I find. Thanks again.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

updated instructions to be more specific. wmodemdriverinstaller.exe and qpst2.7 software is installed on ur PC not ur phone. only thing on the phone is the reg editor.

Stevevo,

I think i heard that agps support for the 6900 is more important then for the 6800. this is because the gps antenna is not as good as ours. so setting up the PDE servers should give u much better results. follow the directions and dont forget the reg edit part. Then please let me know how much success you have with this. i have a feeling that this will help out the 6900 users more then us 6800 users. because our gps standalone mode is better.

Last edited by shadow-tech; 09-03-2008 at 04:41 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan