PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Sprint

urinsane is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stuck in Bootloader... but did no upgrade!

About half way through the day today, my phone reset all by itself. It is now stuck in the bootloader screen with "serial" at the bottom.

I had not tried out any custom ROMs, and was using the newest official Sprint Mogul ROM from HTC's site. This phone is fairly new; I did an insurance swap on it last month. (Not a refurb strangely enough) It had been running the new ROM since.

When I plug it into USB, "serial" changes to "USB", and my PC identifies it as an unknown device. Activesync does not seem to see it at all.

So first I tried downloading the official Sprint ROM again. Surprisingly it ran the ROM update and seemed to install just fine... progress bar and everything. When I disconnected and reset though, it was back to bootloader.

I have played around with custom ROMs before (on my old phone; the newest Sprint ROM had everything I needed with less hassle though so I hadn't installed any on this new phone) so I downloaded the Titan Bootloader Exit app from here. I disabled Activesync USB, ran the exe, but get the error message "Cannot Open USB port".

I'm running out of ideas and have tried just about everything recommended in other threads. Hoping someone can help!

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

nydriek is a n00b
Re: Stuck in Bootloader... but did no upgrade!

A quick google search turned up some good results. Check it out and let me know if that works.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=
Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

urinsane is a n00b

Thanks, but I ran that search already. Those results all point towards the Titan exit bootloader program, which as I mentioned did not fix my problem.

I am beginning to think the phone is bricked. I forgot to mention, but over the past 2 weeks it had been acting strange in that sometimes on an incoming or outgoing call, I would not be able to hear the other party. At the time I was thinking it was due to a 3rd party program conflicting, but after this I am beginning to think the phone itself was going out.

Anyone else ever experienced this without trying custom ROMs? Random stuck on bootloader without doing anything bootloader related?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc-6700
Carrier: tnz

gorbechops is a n00b

i have had this problem before, so i decided to apply new boot loaders and custom roms.

this did not fix the problem.

however, i did find a workaround, remove battery, plug in to usb port on pc, red light on phone, put battery back in wait for orange light, remove usb cable wait for a few seconds and power it on ...

a few things to remember, this can sometimes take several attempts whereas other times it can work first time.

i have never found out why this occurs, i just figured my phone was stuffed.

let us know how you get on
Old 10-22-2008, 03:45 AM
Lurker

GSLIM44 is a n00b

Yes, same thing happed to my Mogul. Sucks huh. Anyway I was told by another forum member to load the old 6.0rom on using a USB cable. Then reload the 6.1 using an SD card. This should fix it. This is becoming very common now. I did not get to try it though.......

By the time I got the reply I had already forked up $55 to Sprint ... Those #@$$%!!

If it works please let me know! GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

urinsane is a n00b

Gorbechops:

Thanks, I saw your post about this in another thread and unfortunately this isn't working for me. I don't remember reading the part about it taking several tries so I just tried it again, and it is strange... I swear the first time I tried your tip, I had to power the phone on by pressing the power button after putting in the battery (as your instructions say). Now, as soon as I put in the battery, the bootloader screen pops up without me hitting anything! I tried it 10 times or so with no result.

GSLIM44:
This sounds encouraging; did yours happen randomly as well? As I mentioned, it did seem to let me reflash with the 6.1 rom when I tried earlier. Do you know if I can just use any of the custom roms with 6.0, or even better, if there is a link around still for the official 6.0 ROM?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I would be a lot less pissed if I had been playing around with custom ROMs and bricked my phone, but to have it just happen randomly kind of sucks! Wonder if I can charm Sprint into giving me a Touch Diamond as a insurance replacement...
Old 10-22-2008, 04:39 AM
Lurker

GSLIM44 is a n00b

Yes it was random, I was just trying to update to 6.1 like the Sprint rep. told me at HTC the website.

Maybe You can ask:

Ihttp://forum.ppcgeeks.com/member.php?u=7115
Old 10-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Lurker

GSLIM44 is a n00b

shadow-tech

Where can we get the Original 6.0 rom?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vx6800

ZathrasOne is a n00b

Funny, mine did exactly the same thing, the same day at the first on the post???? This is starting to look like a pattern indicating a virus, possibly coming in through activesync, or direct over the air? Same problem with sometimes getting one sided connections, too. I have a Verizon vx6800 Mogul.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

urinsane is a n00b

Well, took it in to my Sprint store. Their tech looked at it for about an hour and a half before declaring it a lost cause. They gave me a new one (although I tried to bargain for a touch diamond.)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan