PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Illinois Valley Cellular

Novicaine is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How enable GPS if I have some oddball carrier, not Sprint/Verizon/etc?

Hi,

I have an HTC 6800 that I got through my cell phone provider, IVC:
http://www.ivcel.com/

I wanted the GPS, then I got the phone and it didn't work. Called IVC, the tech guy said "We don't enable GPS for privacy, etc, policy". I said "well can't it get GPS location from satellites?" He said "No, it would need an antenna bigger than the phone." Now I read hear it does have a real GPS and theoretically I can enable it... awesome! (Unless he was really correct??)

But all the instructions in the permlinks just list ROMs for Sprint/Verizon/etc. I see none for my little old provider.

What can I do?

Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

arparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to arparent
Re: How enable GPS if I have some oddball carrier, not Sprint/Verizon/etc?

The Titan does have an independant GPS that is capable on its own of connecting to Satellites. You just need a ROM that enables the GPS. I'm no ROM expert, but I'm sure if you get in touch with some of the more proficient users on this site that they can set you up with something. I've never heard of IVC, but they probably run their network through one of the bigger companies (i.e. Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, etc...). I'm sure a stock ROM from the parent carrier should work, but don't quote me on that. I'm a hardware engineer, I know nothing about software!

As for "IVC", their website looks a bit... well... anyway, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy: "No, it would need an antenna bigger than the phone." Was the same guy who made their webpage. Employee #3 out of 7.

Last edited by arparent; 07-02-2008 at 12:35 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community

you can build a generic rom with the gps radio enabled but it would require carrier provisions...yours being a 3rd party mvno it might be almost impossible to get unless your carrier releases a rom update

Old 07-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community

and if im not mistaken...ivc is an mvno with alltel
Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mine, 6800 with 20273 ROM / Wifes 6800 with Stock ROM
Carrier: US Cellular

President Fluid is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to President Fluid
Wink Re: How enable GPS if I have some oddball carrier, not Sprint/Verizon/etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novicaine View Post
Hi,

I have an HTC 6800 that I got through my cell phone provider, IVC:
http://www.ivcel.com/

I wanted the GPS, then I got the phone and it didn't work. Called IVC, the tech guy said "We don't enable GPS for privacy, etc, policy". I said "well can't it get GPS location from satellites?" He said "No, it would need an antenna bigger than the phone." Now I read hear it does have a real GPS and theoretically I can enable it... awesome! (Unless he was really correct??)

But all the instructions in the permlinks just list ROMs for Sprint/Verizon/etc. I see none for my little old provider.

What can I do?

Thanks!!
Take a look at the US Cellular guide here. Now even though it is stated for USCC you may be able to use the same steps to do the radio and rom upgrade to enable GPS. Also unlike the HUGE companies that enable GPS USCC which is a decent size company also did not release the GPS enabled version of the 6800. They left out all the good stuff on their release of it and are not offering the current ROM or will never release the upgrade to enable it them selves.

I can bet that if you follow that guide to the letter and make sure you understand it that you can get the GPS to work with your carrier.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24511
Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mine, 6800 with 20273 ROM / Wifes 6800 with Stock ROM
Carrier: US Cellular

President Fluid is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to President Fluid

It is also stated on their site that it GPS enabled in the listed features of the phone.......

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan