PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

NighthawkIX is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Annecdote: Touch screen broke, then fixed itself... O_o

Wierdest thing just happened:

Took my phone with me on a camping trip and was wading through knee deep water and must've absorbed some moisture into the phone. The touch screen became finicky afterwards; working only intermittently and mostly just on one half of the screen with the right edge being completely unresponsive. The left side required very hard pushing to work. Tried to let the phone air out, compressed air dust buster, hard reset, soft reset, ROM reflash, etc. No luck; was about to take the phone to a repair store the following day, but decided to activate a backup phone in the meantime so I could get calls. (Mogul was stuck on screen config screen so it was non-functional).

Right before I took the Mogul to the repair center, I reactivated it. Ta-da, the screen now *works* (crosses fingers and no jinxing...). ??? Any idea why or how this happened? I'm not complaining, but I'm severely confused, in a good way.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

LoneSnark is keeping up the good workLoneSnark is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Annecdote: Touch screen broke, then fixed itself... O_o

Like you said, it seems water got in but took awhile to get out. Placing your phone in a dry warm place would have sped up the repair, such as in an oven that you had on low and then turned off (test the temperature with your hand first, if it burns then that is too hot!). Even then it should take a few cycles.

It needs saying that reflashing your phone was a bad idea. It was unlikely that any data on the phone had become corrupt, but it is possible that the hardware responsible for flashing could have been suffering from water issues, so flashing might have bricked your phone. You could have reflashed after the phone dried out, but you would have had no way of knowing if your efforts at drying it out were working without trying to flash each time.

Last edited by LoneSnark; 07-14-2008 at 10:37 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan