PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How to disable ActiveSync upon power-up? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=13839)

SweetBearCub 12-14-2007 07:28 PM

How to disable ActiveSync upon power-up?

Every time I power up my Mogul, it loads ActiveSync. I'd like to disable it, since I have no need for it. It also has the (sometimes) undesirable side-effect of immediately establishing an EVDO connection as soon as the phone starts up, which doesn't help the battery.

Thanks!

nickm 12-14-2007 10:46 PM

I use Quickmenu, it disables/closes AS if there is no connection.

Baffles 12-14-2007 10:53 PM

I didn't notice a notable difference in my battery life between having an EVDO connection established or not. I keep one 24/7, with email updates every 10 minutes, and I can run 1-2 days on a charge, depending on how actively I use the device.

JimSmith94 12-15-2007 02:11 AM

Quick Menu closes Active Synch for me on my PPC-6700 whenever I undock. However, today I noticed that it was getting started again every time I used the Java based Gmail app to check my email. I think it was because of that, my battery faded very quickly.

Why is Active Synch needed for Java or Gmail?

jfrancisny 12-15-2007 02:28 AM

I successfully used the following hack....and note the part at the end about turning off the network time sync...that was a necessary step for my Mogul.

Active Sync Solution to Battery Drain Problem
think I have a solution to the Battery drain problem with the XV6700 PDA phone. It looks like Ative sync is trying to come on and sync draining the power from our units. Talked to a verizon tech. who provided the available info. Hope it helps. Sure has been an irritant not being able to trust my phone. Here's the instructions:

Go to program files
Go to active sync
Go to menu
Go to add server source (add a fake server and settings)
Once that is finished
Go to Schedule and set to manual
Go to options and delete exchange server from options

Working good so far. For the first time I have had 90% power all day long. Always before it would go down to 60% power or less in one day with no phone calls or gaming.

Please note that some have reported this "trick" is not compatible with the NEW Sprint AKU2/MSFP Rom update. Others have reported it works with the ROM update if you turn off the network time sync under phone settings

GoodThings2Life 12-15-2007 09:55 AM

Having an Outlook E-mail account setup causes this since poutlook shortcut in the Windows\StartUp folder launches on boot, and because it is the only way to for the account to "live" sync (direct push).

I agree with setting the ActiveSync schedule to Manual but you should probably also remove the poutlook shortcut.

SweetBearCub 12-15-2007 11:40 AM

I had already set the AS schedule to manual, but thank you. I checked the Messaging app, and "Windows Live" is listed there. Since I don't use that account, I tried to delete it by holding the stylus over it and choosing "Delete" from the context menu, but it was greyed out. Using File Explorer, I moved poutlook to a sub-folder called "Disabled Items". I'll report back on how well it works.

Thanks!

SweetBearCub 12-15-2007 12:21 PM

I'm sad to report that the fix didn't work. AS still loads at system startup, and establishes an EVDO connection, taking neither action with my consent.

Any other ideas? The only remaining shortcut in my StartUp folder is for Magi Button.

meatgel 01-01-2008 08:38 PM

I've been fighting the same battle. What program is getting it to start up at soft reset? I did a hard reset recently (unrelated) and activesync was to only program running at boot.

I moved all of the programs out of the startup folder and used MemMaid to stop some of the startup processes ...

Any other ideas?

GrahamHill 01-01-2008 08:44 PM

Can outlook be deleted?