PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC P4000

brockmo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Apps built into custom ROM vs. installing cab's on clean install

I am sorry if this has been asked before, and it probably has, but I cannot find it. I think I made the subject pretty explanatory though as far as what I'll be asking.

What are the benefits, if any, to install a custom ROM like Colonel's for example with a boat load of apps BUILTIN to the rom as opposed to just installing the cab's I would want on a very clean ROM of my choosing? Can anyone help me out here and briefly explain? Are there performance benefits... anything? What I've noticed is if you have a custom ROM with an app built in that is frequently updated (S2U2) then you are kind of gambling as to how the app will work if you install the new version right over top of it... can anyone provide some insight on this? What are the pros/cons of having apps built into a ROM vs installing the cab yourself. Thanks in advance...
Old 12-02-2007, 02:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

leetsauce is just getting started
The only real benefit would probably be not having to reinstall each app every time you flash the phone.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: VZW

scottishwarrior is keeping up the good workscottishwarrior is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to scottishwarrior
Leet,
That is only part of the benefits. Some programs actually run better when flashed as part of the rom. You can also do OEM packages for registry entries and they are there when you hard reset.

Brockmo,
There are some good custom roms, but they are generally built for the individual who posts them. Meaning they will have programs that they use. The development team is working on a kitchen similar to the Apache with a GUI that most people can use. You probably should work with a clean rom to start with and that way you can experiment with different programs. I would also read the Apache stickie on custom roms. Alot of the info there can be helpful for future reference. Then when the official kitchen is released you can build your own custom rom that has programs you like and use.

Jay
Old 12-02-2007, 05:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC P4000, UTStarcom 6700, HTC S720, Moto Q, Moto Q9c
Carrier: TELUS

phuangk is a n00b
Brockmo:

ScottishWarrior was right, Apache forum has a lot of resource to read regarding the OEM and kitchen. What i did when i first started was using Colonel's rom (cuz he has A LOT of fancy stuff builtin in his rom so i won't get bored with it). Later on when I know what programs I had used the most, then I start with a clean rom and build my own custom ROM.(Special thanks for DogGuy's educational kitchen and No2Chem's clean ROM).
You can go to ppcgeeks ftp to download apache's OEM's application, it's one big rar file with a lot of useful program in it. (most of them work with 6800).

Regards
Old 12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: P4000 (AKA HTC Titan)
Carrier: Telus

jjlwork is just getting started
I am using dcd's kitchen and if a new program becomes avaialbe for one of the ones I use, I just update it in the old package with the new one and next time I flash my device, the newest version is loaded.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan