PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkewalra View Post
I couldn't call anything ultimate really, everbody has its' own opinion. A lot of people love colonel's ROMs, but I found the last one I tried entirely too bulky, with a lot of things I won't use or need.

What would be ideal (and maybe it's what people call a kitchen, this is my first WM phone) is a program for your pc that would allow you to put together a ROM that gives you the choice of OS (because some people, like me, prefer WM5), a choice of CABs, registry edits, etc.
Thats called a kitchen, and currently you can make your own using any rom of choice:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11071

=]
Old 11-13-2007, 05:38 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Opinion? I'm not talking about "content", extra programs, etc. I'm taking about actually fixing the problems inherent in the current platform.

You can't have a real "kitchen" unless you have a stable and non-broken base OS and drivers. Nothing like that exists yet for the 6800 CDMA platform.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC1 View Post
Opinion? I'm not talking about "content", extra programs, etc. I'm taking about actually fixing the problems inherent in the current platform.

You can't have a real "kitchen" unless you have a stable and non-broken base OS and drivers. Nothing like that exists yet for the 6800 CDMA platform.
Yes I agree.. I was just saying in response to a previous post about adding or customizing roms that it is possible to add things via a kitchen. I am definitely waiting for the "fixed and perfected OS" (if such will ever exist). Without such, the kitchen is basically useless or at least only able to be used to add things.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:14 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker

TC1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevilllama View Post
Yes I agree.. I was just saying in response to a previous post about adding or customizing roms that it is possible to add things via a kitchen. I am definitely waiting for the "fixed and perfected OS" (if such will ever exist). Without such, the kitchen is basically useless or at least only able to be used to add things.
Agreed. And what's really frustrating is watching noobs download all the various incarnations thinking they are getting an actual "fix", not understanding that all they are getting is someone's idea of what is a good combination of programs.

My hat's off to dishe, dcd, and the others for trying to figure out a magic combination to make a stable base OS, but as I've previously said I don't think it's going to happen without some fundamental changes at the driver and OS level. I'm involved with software development and QA in my profession, and one of the most intensive and maddening parts is regression testing. That's where the rubber meets the road and is the most time consuming. As they've experienced first hand, a certain ROM setup might work on one device, in a certain coverage area, on a certain carrier, with certain programs loaded, etc, but not work on someone else's device. I don't think the average consumer (not the above mentioned folks) grasps how hard and difficult regression testing is, and that no matter how much money you spend on it you will NEVER be 100% right, especially when you have thousands of customers subjecting the device to thousands of different working conditions.

No matter what though, I'm still very optimistic for the 6800 platform and I'm sticking with it. Once the BT problems are worked out, GPS unlocked, and Rev A gets here, you going to see some very wonderful applications on this device. If Sprint decides to release a Mogul II with more memory, even better (not holding my breath on that one).

To me, the future looks bright. Just have to be a little patient.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC-Mogul

DogGuy is just getting started
Quote:

Exactly. And we recognize that current roms are a train wreck. Hence a lot of us are looking to hybrid variations from other devices. So long as this isn't a failure of the hardware, there is bound to be a fix waiting out there. XIP porting ftw... we hope?

- DogGuy
Old 11-13-2007, 06:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

robmayer is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to robmayer Send a message via MSN to robmayer
[quote=dcd;120975]my take on this has always been f'it, nobodys forcing anybody to donate anything, i dont ask for donations, and i donate when/where i see fit and dont when i dont see fit.

I also agree here. dcd's point is crystal clear, and I don't think I need to elaborate.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:37 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Threadstarter

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
I think both of you guys are right. Then from what I've been reading they are coming out with WM6.1? I dont think that is gonna help at all.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker

TC1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogGuy View Post
Exactly. And we recognize that current roms are a train wreck. Hence a lot of us are looking to hybrid variations from other devices. So long as this isn't a failure of the hardware, there is bound to be a fix waiting out there. XIP porting ftw... we hope?

- DogGuy
I hear exactly what you are saying, and on the surface seems logical and a great idea

But let me play devil's advocate here for a moment: If it was as simple as picking the most stable driver, out of a selection of already available drivers, then why hasn't HTC done that already? I realize they are not infallible, are human, and make stupid mistakes, but you would think they would take the path of least resistance (and $$$) if they could utilize a driver from another platform that seems to work. I think they found what you guys are finding out right now, that during regression testing, issues are arising from the interactions of the transplanted driver onto the older platform. In order to compensate for these undesirable results, they have to basically tweak or re-write the driver to be stable on the 6800.

Again, this is just my opinion and I'll be very happy if I proven wrong, because then we all win. I still think what you guys are attempting is cool and it will be a great feeling and win for all if you can solve it.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker

TC1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
I think both of you guys are right. Then from what I've been reading they are coming out with WM6.1? I dont think that is gonna help at all.
Actually, WM6.1 will be equivalent to a service pack (with new features also) for XP or Vista... meaning Micro$oft will have learned a lot of hard lessons over the past year and fixed a lot of the bugs. IMO, it'll help immensely to give us a more stable OS.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Threadstarter

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
Quote:
Actually, WM6.1 will be equivalent to a service pack (with new features also) for XP or Vista... meaning Micro$oft will have learned a lot of hard lessons over the past year and fixed a lot of the bugs. IMO, it'll help immensely to give us a more stable OS.
My question is... how come this wasnt done before releasing WM6? There are so many problems with WM6 from resource hogging, to memory leak, issues the alarm. Wasnt this fully tested before being released? I had WM5 on my Moto Q and I was upset that they werent giving a WM6 upgrade to my 4moth old Q. So I switched to the Mogul for the full keyboard and WM6. Not to mention the touchscreen. It seems like MS really dropped the ball.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan