PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6600
Threadstarter

Polarbear is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
When the sync finally finishes, can you use a file explorer like total commander (or even view "my mobile device" via activesync in the details view) and let me know how big the \pim.vol file is? And how much free internal storage you have?
I have tried the "my mobile device" method (on my XV6600 on WM2003), and for the life of me, I cannot find a pim.vol anywhere.

I also have to confess, to this day, I am not sure which folder is truly the "root" on my device. Is it:
  • "Mobile Device"
  • "My Windows Mobile-Based Device", or
  • "Storage"
I am guessing the second one (when you open it, the path shows as "\"), and yet I only see folders and a file called "Restart Synchronization Marker.2". No "pim.vol".

Tools/Folder Options shows that I am set up to:
  • show hidden files and folders,
  • display the contents of system folders, and
  • NOT hide protected opertating system files.
I also ran MemMaid's file finder, and it does not show a PIM.VOL.

My memory shows
  • 125.71 MB total,
  • allocated 50/50 to storage and program (62.85 MB each).
  • Free storage is 16.93 MB, and
  • Free Program is 30.30MB.
Running programs are:
  • Windows Media
  • File Explorer
  • ActiveSync
  • Contacts
Thanks! Any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ah wait... I meant on WM5/6 - it won't show up pre-wm5, since its not a file. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Polarbear is a n00b
Quote:
Ah wait... I meant on WM5/6 - it won't show up pre-wm5, since its not a file. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry - no can do.

When I upgraded to the Palm 700wx with Verizon, it was both old technology AND the sync was glacial.

So, I tried defecting to Sprint for a Mogul. Sync still glacial, plus customer service sucked. So I stayed with Verizon, and am waiting for them to release XV6800, whereupon I will start my sync, start up a movie, go to bed, and not stress about the sucky sync until morning.

Any idea, by the way, if the slow sync goes away with a new Windows version of Outlook?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
morsus mihi

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
You have me beat by two orders of magnitude on your data set, I have no idea where yours is breaking down.

Looks like your pim data is in the ballpark of 20MB. You'll need the current version of ActiveSync, and I think Outlook 2003 or better. What versions are you running right now?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Polarbear is a n00b
Quote:
You have me beat by two orders of magnitude on your data set, I have no idea where yours is breaking down.

Looks like your pim data is in the ballpark of 20MB. You'll need the current version of ActiveSync, and I think Outlook 2003 or better. What versions are you running right now?
Activesync 4.5 build 5096

Outlook XP/2002
Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
morsus mihi

Seems OK to me. So, not sure what you can do here to fix this.

Wonder if using the OTA activesync via mail2web.com (the free mail2web live, for example) would be any faster.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Just to chime in, I have about 1100 contacts, and my pim.vol is 8.1 MB. (cemail.vol ~2.5MB). I didn't use a timer, but I think the initial sync (through the PC AS connection) took at least 3-4 hours. I use Mail2web and have noticed no delay at all in subsequent syncs. In fact, when I used strictly M2W for the initial sync over the air, it seemed to be done much quicker, probably less than an hour - I'll test this next time I flash. With these kinds of sync times, you can see why flashing is not something I like to do every day.
BTW, although I like PIMBackup for call logs, I've avoided it for contacts and all the other Outlook objects - it seems that's the path to duplicate records. Anybody know different? i.e. is it possible to flash/hard-reset and restore PIM data, re-build your sync partnerships and still have all the data fully synced without going through the initial sync process? Thanks, tmb
Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

teevah is a n00b
was reading on another forum somewhere and a file gets written to windows\temp each time a sync occurs. Try deleting the files in this directory on your pc and see what happens.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
morsus mihi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB_XV6700 View Post
With these kinds of sync times, you can see why flashing is not something I like to do every day.
Ah... but if you are just changing something in the same REV of an OS in your rom (like tweaking the OEMs used in your WM6 kitchen) you CAN just backup the pim.vol file to your storage card (via total commander or some other file manager on the device) and then copy it back after flashing - just soft reset after you copy it back.

Saves all that syncing time.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Quote:
Ah... but if you are just changing something in the same REV of an OS in your rom (like tweaking the OEMs used in your WM6 kitchen) you CAN just backup the pim.vol file to your storage card (via total commander or some other file manager on the device) and then copy it back after flashing - just soft reset after you copy it back.

Saves all that syncing time.
Thanks Schettj. So when you've done this you don't have a problem with partnerships in AS?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan