PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 03:00 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Mogul rants and raves

What’s up with this Mogul? There are many opinions floating around here about what you will get with the addition of a Mogul WM6 device. If you decide to get one of these devices you need to understand a few things. I will begin by ex-paining why I think I am qualified to give these opinions, I am an average user of Windows Mobile, not tainted by too much knowledge(tainted that’s funny). I don’t right my own programs, I don’t have time, I don’t build ROM kitchens, I barely understand how they work, I do use my Mogul every day and spend hours researching fixes for issues that come up and finding new programs. I have had almost every PPC offering that Sprint, my carrier of choice, has offered. Check my signature. That said call me an above average Windows Mobile hobbyist not a PPC guru like some others here.

Are there two different Mogul versions being made? Use it before you abuse it making changes to any Windows Mobile device before you know how your device behaves is a bad idea. I know that adding applications to my Mogul causes changes that can be problematic, one new program works great and another causes problems. When the Touch today plug in was introduced I jumped right in, the early versions of this RAM hog caused me no end of trouble, at least 2 hard resets before I stopped using it (haven’t tried the new stuff probably works great by now). This is true with any developing applications no matter what platform you are using just look at Windows Vista. There is good cause for the updates handed down from Microsoft all the time the way that the programs are used by each individual make a difference so updates are needed once problems arise. Why don’t people expect this same type of issue from the new little computer you just bought? Closed platform to open that’s why, its as different as night and day when changing from the closed platform of a regular mobile phone to a PPC, so for those first timers, take time to learn don’t just blame the device. My recommendation 2 weeks without adding any new programs to your Mogul than start adding apps one at a time and see if you are willing to live with the changes each additional program makes.

Are there two different Mogul versions being made? I have read many threads complaining about Bluetooth, did you know this is a Bluetooth 2.0 device. I have a Plantronics 665, Bluetooth 2.0, works very well with this device, most of the problems I have read about I think are related to Bluetooth 1.2. Look through the Bluetooth thread here here most of the problems are with 1.2 or earlier devices. 2.0 is an improvement, so some devices with an earlier versions will be problematic don’t you think? The only problem I have had with my 665 is, not make a good Bluetooth connection from time to time but this is obvious, no way to continue the call, just hang up and call back, happens about once every 30 calls.

Are there two different Mogul versions being made? I am a heavy user of my Mogul, I spend probably 8 hrs/ day on my Mogul I charge the battery every evening when I get home from work, or when I am driving using my GPS, I agree there could be better battery life but I believe this Mogul battery lasts 3 times longer than the battery on my 6700. Same day same use 3 OEM battery’s/ day and I barely made it with my 6700. So if you are coming to the Mogul from a standard phone it may seam like the battery sucks on the Mogul but I assure you this is a huge improvement over the earlier HTC devices. The opinions flip flop in this thread here mostly bad, but try some of the suggestions given and you will get the most out of your battery. Those still having problems are most likely having low signal problems this PPC struggles with signal and will pump some battery to try and keep a good connection. If it didn’t we would be talking about missed calls instead of battery problems, don’t you think?

Are there two different Mogul versions being made? What is the problem with the RAM? There are many who seam to have a problem with the amount of RAM supplied at startup on this device but is it really a problem? I use MemMaid once a day and don’t have any problems with RAM. I keep the amount of running programs to a minimum using HTC task manager same thing I have done with all my Windows Mobile devices. I agree this is a shortcoming with this device, but more as a selling point for Sprint than a problem during actual use, a new device such as this at this stage in handsets development should be able to boast twice or three times the available RAM found on the Mogul. Why, will it get fixed, I am not sure, do I really have a problem with it when I use my Mogul from day to day NO.

This device works well as an all in one, if you want an iPod get one, if you want a GPS, get one, if you want PDA get one, if you want a DVD player get one. But if you want an all in one device capable of playing music, watching movies, running GPS (GPS module and Google maps required), working phone, Internet….. Get a Mogul. Don’t expect a plug and play device, there are so many possibilities with Windows Mobile that deciding what each individual wants is not possible, you will need to decide for yourself and build the device you want. I would say that, except of the Kaser, this is the best hardware on the US market, a well suited peace of Windows Mobile clay for you to mold into the device you want. specs

I held my review of this device a while because I wanted to avoid my usual band wagon ranting that came with each of the other devices I have owned. I wanted to get a thorough test before giving my opinion on this device, I have commented on other devices and while I believed everything I wrote at the time, I developed other opinions as time went on this is typical with a Phone Whore like me. I had been trying to find a substitute for my 6700 in 2 different devices before I finally realized the 6700 was the best device available for all my needs. The only thing that I disliked about my 6700 was the actual phone, stalls, missed calls, trouble dialing out, these were common occurrences with my 6700. This has all been resolve with my Mogul, I have no problems making calls getting or receiving calls, everything just flows well phone wise on this device. All my other needs are satisfied as well so I can finally say good by to my old friend the PPC 6700. I am in the mostly satisfied category here with this Mogul its overall hardware is impressive but WM6 could use some tweaking, all in all I will be more than happy to keep my Mogul, it ranks 9 out of 10 in my book.

Dave~
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Mustang46L is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Mustang46L
Awesome post!
Compaq H3650 --> Handspring 600 (Sprint) --> HTC 6600 (Sprint) --> Dell Axim X51v --> HTC Mogul (Sprint) --> HTC Touch (Sprint) --> HTC Diamond (Sprint) --> HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) --> Palm Pre (Sprint) --> HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint)
Old 08-18-2007, 03:20 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
why do you ask if there are 2 different moguls being made at the beginning of each paragraph?

I think the design has changed some - ive seen people mention that the keys have a different 'feel' to them on their 2nd mogul, and my tab, ok, and windows keys dont pop up like some peoples. i think at least the keyboard may be floating around in 2 diff versions.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:23 PM
The Voice of Reason
Threadstarter

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Well we know there aren't 2 different Moguls so, I will leave the rest for you to ponder
Old 08-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Well there are two different moguls--at least as far as the outer shell (verizon and bell mobility are using the other design). So maybe that's why your statements are confusing.

9 out of 10 seems pretty generous considering all the flaws and slowness of this thing. Personally, after using it for a week I'd put the mogul at about 5/10--which is almost entirely due to the crappy ROM. I think with a lot of driver and OS revisions it has the potential to be a 9/10 device, but no way would I put it there now. Same exact situation as the Apache, which was a 5/10 at best until recently when the official AKU3 ROM was released with fixed drivers.

As soon as I get home from my trip I'm ESN swapping back to my Apache.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Mustang46L is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Mustang46L
See I think his point was that he isn't having the issues that everyone else claims, nor am I. So if half of you have ALL of these problems and the other half of us don't know what you are talking about.. Are there 2 different Moguls?

My battery life is fantastic. My bluetooth works better on the Mogul than any other Sprint device I've owned. I have no memory leak (19.78MB free -- 12 days since soft reset). I think this is by far the best PPC device that Sprint has launched with very few bugs to be worked out.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
For the record I understood what he was trying to say, but since there really are two different mogul designs I was pointing out why that statement might confuse people.

And if you have tried using Palringo or Sling Player then you would know that there are definitely problems with the drivers on the mogul. This is separate from the widely reported memory and bluetooth headset issues.

Another big bug introduced by the current ROM is the problem with the hardware keyboard using Live Search and some other apps, where it thinks the Alt key is locked on.

There are plenty of other bugs, all easily repeatable. Does this mean I'm going to post a dramatic "I'm swtiching back to my Apache" thread? Nope. But I am going to do so, because currently the only thing better about the mogul is its form factor. It is using a very early version of WM6 and unoptimized, buggy drivers... which are responsible for most of its issues.

And it's no wonder, being that it was such a rush job. Sprint had the same problem with the Apache, which was the first WM5 device released in the US. It also shipped with a very early revision of WM5 (AKU 1.0.0 in fact) and had really crappy drivers with a ton of problems. Many people back then posted about going back to the 6600 or to a Treo or to the i730 etc. etc. etc.

This is no different... if you are impressed with the mogul now then I think your uses for it must be far different than mine. I fully expect that the mogul will get better in the coming months, but for now it's just too slow and buggy for me.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 6800

hippity.hoppity is keeping up the good workhippity.hoppity is keeping up the good work
What a terrible post. The OP hasn't got a clue about the BT issues on the phone. Most of the headsets that have been tried are BT 2.0 headsets and it's theorized that it's the EDR in the WM6 BT stack that's causing the problems.

A quick read of the threads will show users claiming to have perfectly functioning devices only to later recant and admit that the party on the other end just wasn't complaining about the terrible sound quality.

Why are there so many Mogul apologists? Sounds like the OP is getting paid by HTC to service them.

I like the Mogul as it is and am sure that it will get better in time because of all the hard work of people in the WM community. What I won't do is stick my head in the sand like the OP and pretend that the Mogul works perfectly and there isn't anything buggy about it.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM
N00b

nsinsinsi is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity
Why are there so many Mogul apologists? Sounds like the OP is getting paid by HTC to service them.
Every device has a legion of apologists like this. Everytime a new device comes out with significant problems and shortcomings (i.e. most of them), when people get together to discuss, vent, try to find solutions, or just do what we can to communicate to the manufacturers about what we think is wrong with their devices, a group of apologists appears to inexplicably defend the device as if it was a defenseless person.

The biggest thing they all have in common is the fallacy wherein a problem doesn't exist if they don't experience it themselves.

i.e. Bluetooth on the Mogul is great because it works with my headset, therefore the problem doesn't exist and you are all a bunch of whiners. Same goes for battery life, screen, speed, memory, usability, etc.

I have my own very detailed thoughts on the Mogul's failings, but I've learned it's mostly useless to discuss these things in forums like these, but I'll say this: there is NO reason you should have to learn to tolerate bad software design and mediocre hardware decisions.

Microsoft has had nearly a decade to work out hundreds of basic usability issues with Windows Mobile and they have done a horrible job of it. So has Palm with performance on PalmOS. I don't have anything against HTC but I am certainly ticked off by many of their design decisions. I think all these companies have thought their customers to keep their expectations very low, which eventually hurts no one else but the customers themselves.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:33 PM
The Voice of Reason
Threadstarter

Apologists are authors, writers, editors of scientific logs or academic journals, and leaders known for taking on the points in arguments, conflicts or positions that are either placed under popular scrutinies or viewed under persecutory examinations.

I didn't know my experience with my mogul could be called a point of argument.

Experience as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event.

But I did pose a question in each of my statements so debate if you will. I would however like to thank you all for taking the time to read my rants and raves it is a long post and requires some digesting. Take from it what you will but this was just an attempt by a long time windows mobile fan to help anyone who would listen.

Again thanks for reading,

Dave~

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan