PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Hero (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Hero worth tweaking?>> (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=116030)

WAH 03-27-2010 06:27 PM

Hero worth tweaking?>>

unlocked and flashed roms like a maniac on my touch pro.
just got the hero and am wondering if its worth it?
any input=appreciated

gangmobb 03-27-2010 06:32 PM

Re: Hero worth tweaking?>>

Yes! Root it!

WAH 03-27-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gangmobb (Post 1664301)
Yes! Root it!

maybe some pros and cons?

gangmobb 03-27-2010 07:48 PM

Search it up.. probably no cons only pros :)

mazpro 03-27-2010 08:42 PM

Correct, do a quick search. All you will see are good things if you follow the instructions.

WAH 03-27-2010 08:45 PM

im scared.
lol

Harveystyles 03-27-2010 09:52 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; ADR6200 Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

It's pike your using a totally different phone, once you start flashing. And if you do start, you won't go back. The only downside I've found, is, IF you root, AND decide to use Apps2sd, and something goes wrong with your SD card, it totally messes up your phone. BUT, hacking Android is ten times easier than winmo. Android will pull you out of almost anything, as long as you back up on a regular basis. I'll go in more depth when I'm home, and not sitting at a bar, drinking a beer. Lol My main advice is read. Read everything Google pops in front of you. And once you've done that, read some more. Make sure you get android. Fresh pre kitchen is a good app to have. There's also another app that starts with Droid(helper maybe). Those 2 almost totally automate the process for you.

bradart 03-28-2010 10:52 AM

If you use the one-click rooter in the fresh pre-kitchen, it takes about 5 mins, and you have absolutely nothing to lose. This phone is damn near unbrickable and with it rooted, it is how the good google intended.

jocampo86 03-28-2010 11:18 AM

am in the same situation coming from mogul,tp1,tp2,and really wasnt sure if i want it the hero but ...always flashed custom roms on ma winmo phones,,but these process looks different and lil confusing (am scared)too,,,
after i root do i just flash a custom rom i loved (energy roms) on my touch pros
any advice.,,,,,

bradart 03-28-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocampo86 (Post 1665371)
am in the same situation coming from mogul,tp1,tp2,and really wasnt sure if i want it the hero but ...always flashed custom roms on ma winmo phones,,but these process looks different and lil confusing (am scared)too,,,
after i root do i just flash a custom rom i loved (energy roms) on my touch pros
any advice.,,,,,

It is extremely different but, in the end, a much simpler process after your initial investment of time and self-education. I have links to all of my im accounts up by my avatar. Feel free to add me an ask me any questions you have.

Something you may be happy to hear is that you don't hard reset when you flash a new rom. I was quite stoked about that.