PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 12:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Will Sprint EVO ever get LTE?

What Kind of LTE Speeds Are You Getting With Your New HTC Thunderbolt? | Android Phone Fans

The Thunderbolt is out and my co-worker just got his. As far as 4G, I am jealous. These things are screaming. While reading the comments to the link above, I saw one that said Sprint was abandoning WiMax and going to LTE.

Let us say that is true. Would it be possible to switch an EVO to LTE? Can that be done through radio software or is the hardware limited?

These guys are getting WiFi speeds on their phones!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Will Sprint EVO ever get LTE?

1) The answer is no...you will NEVER have LTE work on the phone...unless you connect via wifi to an LTE mifi lol

2) Their 4G does not have as many users..early reports people were showing 30mbps speeds here and there on wimax..

3) Wimax isn't really inferior to LTE, just that sprint chose to run it in only 10mhz of spectrum..wheras verizon chose 20mhz.

4) Verizon is running it on 700mhz spectrum which has way better building/wall penetration

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

That building/wall penetration makes all the difference in my case: I live next to a busy corridor and when I'm directly on the road I get full strength 4G... unfortunately for me where I live there is a sound barrier between the road an my house. When I'm home I cant get ANY type of 4G connection going, and even my 3G seems 'weaker' since they've rolled out 4G in my neck of the woods.

But back OT... nope, no LTE ever. At least not on currently available sprint devices.

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I heard that the hardware for WiMAX and LTE are the same, all it really is is a software change. I hope thats true. I'll try to find the link

Found it: http://gizmodo.com/#!5167321/sprint-...-whither-wimax
Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving View Post
That building/wall penetration makes all the difference in my case: I live next to a busy corridor and when I'm directly on the road I get full strength 4G... unfortunately for me where I live there is a sound barrier between the road an my house. When I'm home I cant get ANY type of 4G connection going, and even my 3G seems 'weaker' since they've rolled out 4G in my neck of the woods.

But back OT... nope, no LTE ever. At least not on currently available sprint devices.
People are eating up bandwidth from the main hub with 4g and thats slowing your 3g? lol..but either way sprint will deploy LTE in same spetrum..so you wont get more penetration with sprint...only thing it might get is more spectrum as sprint is using 10/30mhz they have..

Also forgot to mention verizon is using 20mhz for raw speed..hence why they going tiered...it wont support a lot of capacity unless they get more spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
I heard that the hardware for WiMAX and LTE are the same, all it really is is a software change. I hope thats true. I'll try to find the link

Found it: Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
Yes..TD-LTE and wimax are VERY similar..but unfortunately the upgrade is going to be for the towers themselves...not the devices...aka they add a small box and that makes their Wimax->LTE...on your side..there is nothing that can be done without adding hardware...which isn't practical..
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PALM 3XE/650 IP 19/2750 HTC 8125/MOGUL/TP/TP2 EVO

gnatsstang is becoming a great contributor

fyi.as of now, wimax 4g its uncapped.thunderbolt will go through 10 gigs in 82 minutes.lets see what they think off the speed when they get their phone bills next month.i get 8 in chicago.for 10$ I'll take that.i use outer to surf the web and play black ops.let me know next month how they feel.

YEAH! That guy! U know. HIM!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Post Master General

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
People are eating up bandwidth from the main hub with 4g and thats slowing your 3g? lol..but either way sprint will deploy LTE in same spetrum..so you wont get more penetration with sprint...only thing it might get is more spectrum as sprint is using 10/30mhz they have..

Also forgot to mention verizon is using 20mhz for raw speed..hence why they going tiered...it wont support a lot of capacity unless they get more spectrum.

Yes..TD-LTE and wimax are VERY similar..but unfortunately the upgrade is going to be for the towers themselves...not the devices...aka they add a small box and that makes their Wimax->LTE...on your side..there is nothing that can be done without adding hardware...which isn't practical..
I could care less the tech ramifications of how and why my 3g signal is crap, or why on one side of a wall I get full 4G signal and on the OTHER side of the wall I get NONE at all... the results speak loud enough.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving View Post
I could care less the tech ramifications of how and why my 3g signal is crap, or why on one side of a wall I get full 4G signal and on the OTHER side of the wall I get NONE at all... the results speak loud enough.
So you didnt need to know that sprint can make it faster with a press of 1 button but is too busy trying to figure out a way to bankrupt themselves?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Post Master General

More than anything I did'nt/don't need the sarcasm.

Evo Invincible
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yes the current towers for wimax only need software upgrade to use lte. But phones like evo that originally used wimax can never use lte as it requires an lte chip that comes built in to the phone which the evo doesn't have. Good news is that when sprint switches to lte they will leave wimax running also. So there will probably be dual lte, wimax phones that will take advantage of all that 4g coverage. Sprint has a chance to have a huge 4g footprint not to mention they are working on the newest push to talk technology. I can't wait.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G