PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

adenicol is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In car speakerphone with EVO mic

I have an FM transmitter that I use in my can so I can listen to streaming audio (ex: pandora) on my car's radio. The FM transmitter plugs into the headphone jack on my EVO.

The problem I have is when I get a call I have to unplug the headphone cord and then answer the phone.

Is there anyway possible to answer the phone while it is still connected to the FM Transmitter and use the car's speakers for the call while using the EVO's microphone to talk? The problem I see is that if there is something plugged into the headphone jack, it seems like the phone's mic is not enabled.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

rollrsk8ter is just getting started
Re: In car speakerphone with EVO mic

I use something like this:
3.5mm M-F Stereo Audio Extension Cable with Microphone Built-in (78CM-Cable) [E16021] : BestOfferBuy.com, Buy DVD, Shop for PC accessories, Discount MP3 Players, Bargain Deal for Surveillance Equipment, Cheap R4 for NDS, X-sim Unlock

I am not affilated with this company.... You plug this in your phone, and plug the fm transmitter into it. It has a mic, I listen to the other party on my car speakers and they have no problem hearing me. I have found that some of these are working different with different versions of Android, The one I am using now takes two clicks to answer. You can of course use something like Vlingo In-Car app (free). Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I had thought about an external cable like this but the think I don't think I like is that the mix may be moving around or out of "clear hearing range" of me. I have a window mount dock for my EVO and to have a fixed mix that isn't moving around while I am driving would be more desirable than a mic at the end of a cable.

Have you had any problems with the mic in cord as far as it being out of range of your voice or it flopping around while you are talking on it in the car?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

rollrsk8ter is just getting started

Actually no, What I do...is use the clip on the mic piece (that is made to click on your shirt or tie or what ever), I click on the cable right next to where the 3.5 mm plug goes into the phone. Unfortunately, it does leave some cord to deal with, I currently am using a zip tie to deal with the extra cord, that bunch of cord does move around. I am actually not using this with a FM Transmitter, I have a aux input on my stereo, so I plug another 3.5 mm male to male with a mic adapter like this. Like I said, people I talked with, say it sounds fine. I do keep all the windows shut to avoid wind noise.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Anyone else have a solution to having the mic active on a call while something is plugged into the headphone jack? If I use the "Voice" feature with any other program it works, just not with calls.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

flyhigh is keeping up the good workflyhigh is keeping up the good work

I was surprised to read your post. What you are saying doesn't work for you, works well for me, and what you are hoping to do, is exactly what happens for me, so there must be a reason why your having trouble. It should work as you wish.

Perhaps the issue is with the FM transmitter? I have my evo connected to my car's stereo using the 3.5mm jack to the aux RCA inputs of my cars stereo system. If I'm listening to music (using MixZing player, pandora, last.fm) or an audio book (Mort audio book player) and a call comes in, I switch over to the call normally by pressing answer and I just talk. The call can be heard through my cars speakers (no need to manually activate speaker phone) and I just talk like normal, even though the phone is mounted on the dash. Pretty awesome too I might add that the media apps automatically pause the song/book until I hit end on the call. A second later and the song/book resumes on its own from the spot it left off.

Last edited by flyhigh; 10-23-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I think it is the FM Transmitter I am using I have a second one in my wife's car that I tried this morning and it works flawlessly. I htink mine is telling it that it is a wireless headset and not just a speaker.

Off to the store to get the same model she has.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

srtpusher is becoming a great contributor

i do it the same way - only thing better would be if my car stereo did bluetooth and a2dp

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh View Post
I was surprised to read your post. What you are saying doesn't work for you, works well for me, and what you are hoping to do, is exactly what happens for me, so there must be a reason why your having trouble. It should work as you wish.

Perhaps the issue is with the FM transmitter? I have my evo connected to my car's stereo using the 3.5mm jack to the aux RCA inputs of my cars stereo system. If I'm listening to music (using MixZing player, pandora, last.fm) or an audio book (Mort audio book player) and a call comes in, I switch over to the call normally by pressing answer and I just talk. The call can be heard through my cars speakers (no need to manually activate speaker phone) and I just talk like normal, even though the phone is mounted on the dash. Pretty awesome too I might add that the media apps automatically pause the song/book until I hit end on the call. A second later and the song/book resumes on its own from the spot it left off.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g
Carrier: sprint

tommywommy is a n00b

Sorry for the thread necro. I am dealing with the same exact problem. My wife and I both have the HTC Evo 4g. I have a dash mount set up in her car. I have an audio plug running out of the phone and into the cars stereo aux in. When listening to music via pandora, if someone calls, I can swipe "answer" and I hear the call through the speakers. When I speak the speakerphone works and the person on the other end can hear me fine. Hands free and awesome.

When my wife repeats the same scenario, same car, same model phone, same everything (presumably)......she can hear the call come through her speakers. But, her speakerphone doesn't work and no one can hear her. She then has to unplug the audio cable and take the call like normal.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible for an app to interfere or something? She does have some different apps than me.

Thanks in advance for your help,
tom
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HP6945~Mogul~TP~TP2~EVO
Carrier: Sprint - RIP Sero Plan \ Current: BP F&F

demolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good work

mine works fine ..

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G