PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 04:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

random omen is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Disable SSID broadcast, lose WIFI Connection?

I wonder if I am overlooking something when I create my new network connection. I go: Settings > Wi-Fi Network > Add Wi-Fi Network > type in SSID, key, and select proper security.

I disable SSID broadcast out of my desire to have a simple deterrence. I realize my wireless network could still be sniffed out if anyone tried. I live in a large building where plenty of people leave their network SSID broadcasting, so rather than be one of the many who are easily discoverable, I take the one extra step to be secure. It may sound like a tiny thing but I live next to people I do not know and the lowest fruit is always picked first, per se. Now that being said.... I have my SSID broadcasting now so my Evo 4Gs have WIFI
Old 06-27-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

biscodude is becoming a great contributor

The reason it is pointless it because at this point, WPA2 is unbreakable. It doesn't matter who can see it, unless they know your key, they aren't getting in.

Since you live in a large building, I recommend you download an app called wifi analyzer. It will show which channel has the least interference so can get the most out of your wifi network.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscodude View Post
The reason it is pointless it because at this point, WPA2 is unbreakable. It doesn't matter who can see it, unless they know your key, they aren't getting in.
what world are you in? wpa2 might take a little longer but it is still unsecure
Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

WPA can be broken in about 10 minutes, but I have not read anyone breaking WPA2 in any reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, if you are dealing with a hacker who is willing to try breaking WPA2 (good luck), I'm sure they can find a hidden network in half a second.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Threadstarter

random omen is a n00b

Already got WIFI Analyzer Thanks for the tip, though! It is, indeed, very helpful.

Also: relax guys Let's not let this fall into a WLAN vs. Hacker debate. If I was *that* concerned about security I'd never set up a WLAN. All I want to do is enable my Evo 4G to connect to a "hidden" WPA2 WIFI-n network. I know I'm not the only person with this problem out there A quick google search shows that but no one seems to have a real solution for my issue.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I wish I could offer you more advice, but I just setup my hidden wifi network manually and it connects every time. It's the secret external connection at work that we don't want everyone to know about. The people who work here have no idea that it's there, but even if they did, it's WPA2 so they aren't getting in.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

mr_e is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by random omen View Post
Already got WIFI Analyzer Thanks for the tip, though! It is, indeed, very helpful.

Also: relax guys Let's not let this fall into a WLAN vs. Hacker debate. If I was *that* concerned about security I'd never set up a WLAN. All I want to do is enable my Evo 4G to connect to a "hidden" WPA2 WIFI-n network. I know I'm not the only person with this problem out there A quick google search shows that but no one seems to have a real solution for my issue.
You're not alone; I am in the same boat as you. I'm using a Netgear WNDR3700. I can not connect to either the G or N if the SSID is not broadcast.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Motorola Devour
Carrier: Verizon

BobinBoynton is a n00b

Hello All,
I have a Motorola Devour and installed a Netgear WNDR3700 Router. I used to have a Linksys WRT-54G Router using WPA2 and had no issues with hidden SSID. As soon as I installed the New Netgear Router, no wifi connection. I finally figured out what would work: I set up the router using WEP and a 26 hexdecimal password and hidden SSID and it connected immediately. Any other security setting and no luck. Hope this helps! Not to get the hackers excited, but now comes the question which is better: Broadcast the SSID and use WPA2 or Don't Broadcast the ID and use WEP?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G