PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP, TP2, EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Biofall is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's ***Videos Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
The rom I'm using is great. Truth be told, you only need to root right now if you want to use Wifi tethering or you want to install the newer radio.

Also, if you're concerned about the stability of the custom roms, there is a rooted version of the official rom. No changes made to it but it allows you to install a new radio and use Wifi tethering.
I would do it, but I think I'll just wait, no need for wifi tethering now, and I never got the whole radio thing. Thanks for tellin it straight Fast
The Kernel.... HTC Supersecret Supersonic 3.28.651.1 - unreleased OTA (thanks flipzmod!)
Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro2

nico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's ***Videos Included

QUESTION: So i have to perform the recovery steps every time i need to flash a Custom ROM? (after I install the custom rom, and power off the phone and return to recovery and presented with the same phone-exclamation mark, and not the custom yellow letters options for reflashing).
so my understanding is that to load another custom rom/or restore the nanbackup, I have to re do the steps of the custom rom?? (so no permanent recovery image right?)
Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico4k View Post
QUESTION: So i have to perform the recovery steps every time i need to flash a Custom ROM? (after I install the custom rom, and power off the phone and return to recovery and presented with the same phone-exclamation mark, and not the custom yellow letters options for reflashing).
so my understanding is that to load another custom rom/or restore the nanbackup, I have to re do the steps of the custom rom?? (so no permanent recovery image right?)
For right now, yes. They don't have a permanent recovery yet.

So to install a custom rom again, after you've already done it once;

1- Copy rom/radio zip file to the storage card.
2- Disconnect the phone/Power off and restart in bootloader
3- Select recovery
4- Connect to the pc and run the .bat file
5- Wipe (data/factory and Dalvik-cache) twice to be safe
6- Flash zip from sdcard
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro2

nico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Thumbs up Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's ***Videos Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico4k View Post
Quote:
For right now, yes. They don't have a permanent recovery yet.

So to install a custom rom again, after you've already done it once;

1- Copy rom/radio zip file to the storage card.
2- Disconnect the phone/Power off and restart in bootloader
3- Select recovery
4- Connect to the pc and run the .bat file
5- Wipe (data/factory and Dalvik-cache) twice to be safe
6- Flash zip from sdcard
you know, they should say that before the instructions to avoid poeple some headaches, and here i thought all this time i was doing something wrong!
thanks.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

DrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good workDrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via MSN to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via Yahoo to DrUnKeN_TiGeR

so i installed the sdk usb drivers and i am on the /!\ screen but when i plug my fone back in to the computer and look in my device manager my fone isnt there thats why i keep getting error:device not found

Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUnKeN_TiGeR View Post
so i installed the sdk usb drivers and i am on the /!\ screen but when i plug my fone back in to the computer and look in my device manager my fone isnt there thats why i keep getting error:device not found
Have you tried rebooting the pc?
What version of windows are you on?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

DrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good workDrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via MSN to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via Yahoo to DrUnKeN_TiGeR

Quote:
Have you tried rebooting the pc?
What version of windows are you on?
yes and vista i cant get it to connect to HTC sync again unless i remove the driver from device manager and restart the pc
Old 06-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: T7380
Carrier: Project Fi

marctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ladies/gents, kindly answer this for me.

ALL i want to do is remove some sprint crap (nascar, etc) and keep the stock rom.

i want to keep 4G since im in a 4G area and i am paying the 30 bux for hotspot so im not trying to do that.

ALL i want to do is remove sprint ware and not break anything else. if i ROOT will this allow me to remove the items i need all while not breaking anything??

thanks in advance..
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Koneeak is a n00b

Thank You Very Much For Posting The Step By Step Instructions.. By Far The Easiest Experience That I've Ever Had Rooting A Phone!! Thanks Given..
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUnKeN_TiGeR View Post
yes and vista i cant get it to connect to HTC sync again unless i remove the driver from device manager and restart the pc
HTC Sync has nothing to do w/ it. I just verified. I tried connecting through HTC Sync and it just timed-out. While leaving the phone connected, I went to a dos cmd and typed "adb-windows reboot recovery" and it worked. Then I ran the batch file and it worked. Got into recovery screen.

Do you have another pc you can try? I did it on xp and Windows 7. I haven't tried my laptop w/ Vista yet at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
ladies/gents, kindly answer this for me.

ALL i want to do is remove some sprint crap (nascar, etc) and keep the stock rom.

i want to keep 4G since im in a 4G area and i am paying the 30 bux for hotspot so im not trying to do that.

ALL i want to do is remove sprint ware and not break anything else. if i ROOT will this allow me to remove the items i need all while not breaking anything??

thanks in advance..
No, rooting will not allow you to remove the Sprint apps.
Here's my opinion.
Follow the directions outlined in post #1.
Flash OMJ's Latest rom which does not have the Sprint software, but it does have the OTA Update included. 4G works on his rom. So does the free wifi tethering.
Also, flash the new radio because it may give you an even better signal.
And finally, call Sprint to cancel the $30/month hotspot and start sending OMJ $10/month for his roms and send me $5/month for suggesting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koneeak View Post
Thank You Very Much For Posting The Step By Step Instructions.. By Far The Easiest Experience That I've Ever Had Rooting A Phone!! Thanks Given..
No sweat

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos