PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Chef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
gwes.exe ERROR???

My phone will randomly give me a pop up error notice about a "gwes.exe" file? I'm thinking it has something to do with the weather cause it mainly happens when I update the weather.

Anyone have a clue?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Re: gwes.exe ERROR???

gwes is one of the core WM processes. It has to do with the shell, I believe. It is very similar to explorer.exe in WindowsNT
Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Smell that? Smells like a hard reset...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Chef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Everything is operating just fine though. Nothing has failed to load nor are there any major problems.

Hard resets don't scare me anymore. I have everything backed up on Internal Storage. Hell, the other day I did 2 hard resets. I just open up my Internal Storage and go down the list and install cabs, PIM back up and my _manila edits. Takes about 10 min...still would like to avoid it though.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
gwes is one of the core WM processes. It has to do with the shell, I believe. It is very similar to explorer.exe in WindowsNT
So how is this affecting me? I can't seem to find any problem with my phone so far.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Ben View Post
Everything is operating just fine though. Nothing has failed to load nor are there any major problems.

Hard resets don't scare me anymore. I have everything backed up on Internal Storage. Hell, the other day I did 2 hard resets. I just open up my Internal Storage and go down the list and install cabs, PIM back up and my _manila edits. Takes about 10 min...still would like to avoid it though.
I am not afraid of them in any way either, though I like you also try to avoid them
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
My phone will randomly give me a pop up error notice about a "gwes.exe" file? I'm thinking it has something to do with the weather cause it mainly happens when I update the weather.

Anyone have a clue?
Google "gwes.exe"

The first hit is a post from the WM team blog - it's quite informative.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
A Geek For Eons

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Do you re-format your PC's C: drive and re-install Windows every time a Windows process crashes and restarts itself?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 PM
A Geek For Eons

Quote:
So how is this affecting me? I can't seem to find any problem with my phone so far.
It's most likely restarting itself after crashing.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysp View Post
Do you re-format your PC's C: drive and re-install Windows every time a Windows process crashes and restarts itself?
Nope. But if it keeps crashing, as the OP stated, I sure as hell would. Because I could care less... I would rather be out an hour or so on time and have a PC that runs right then to have continous problems with an error.

But to be honest, I wouldn't do it at all. I am the IT Manager for my company... I would have someone else do it for me. That's why I am in management, I excel at task delegation.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond