PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Smile ROM Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacy View Post
2 Bunny, check out this link below for tips on reclaiming your Diamond's main storage memory. ClearTemp is attached to one of my posts there, and it should help if you make sure to add specific folders for it to clean.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=low+memory
And that I have tried already. My Application data folder is completely empty. Very strange indeed...

Quote:

As far as cooking your own ROM, I'd recommend starting with OMJ's Kitchen, and make sure to study his tips and guidance on the first page. If you use one of his .erv files, you can add and remove specific programs and other items in order to customize the ROM to your preferences.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=97388

Hope this helps...
R
Thanks. Looks a little bit intimidating but I might give it a try. How is the PPCGeeks kitchen as far as "user frienliness" and the "Diamond Kitchen" that includes BuildOS and OEMIzer (doesn't have a name)?

- 2 Bunny
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I also suggest using ClearTemp regularly.
Follow rhacy's guide in his first link and I bet you'll be surprised how much memory you can free up.
He covers all the bases very well so I really don't have anything to add to free up more memory other than using a tool like UPX4PPC to compress exe and dll files. I'm experimenting with this now and it does free up a little more space but you can't compress everything because some things don't work right.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Smile STORAGE Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I also suggest using ClearTemp regularly.
Follow rhacy's guide in his first link and I bet you'll be surprised how much memory you can free up.
He covers all the bases very well so I really don't have anything to add to free up more memory other than using a tool like UPX4PPC to compress exe and dll files. I'm experimenting with this now and it does free up a little more space but you can't compress everything because some things don't work right.
True, and like I said before, it does free up 4 - 6 megabytes of space, but that is from .5 left, so I still only have 5 or so Megabytes left on average. I do get some messages during the process asking me if I would like to remove registry entries associated with certain programs. "detected as uninstalled" it says, but they are indeed installed, and I use them regularly. As of right now, after having ran ClearTemp only moments ago, I have exactly 2.72 megabytes free in "storage".

Any other hints on that or with kitchens?

Thanks!

- 2 Bunny
Old 05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Wow! You're really filled up!
You know, I have noticed that sometimes even when you specify to install to internal storage when installing a cab that some apps will still install all or some data into device memory. I have been correcting this by moving folders to internal storage with sktools. You could do the same using sktools or memmaid like rhacy suggested.
The rom you are running could be eating up most of your device storage so you could just try a different one or yes you could definitely try cooking your own. OMJ's Kitchen is highly recommended. I'm sure you could probably find a lighter rom that you could add to that won't eat up all your device memory. Most chefs will clearly state how much device memory is used by their rom. I wish you the best!!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Smile MEMORY Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post

Wow! You're really filled up!
You know, I have noticed that sometimes even when you specify to install to internal storage when installing a cab that some apps will still install all or some data into device memory. I have been correcting this by moving folders to internal storage with sktools. You could do the same using sktools or memmaid like rhacy suggested.
The rom you are running could be eating up most of your device storage so you could just try a different one or yes you could definitely try cooking your own. OMJ's Kitchen is highly recommended. I'm sure you could probably find a lighter rom that you could add to that won't eat up all your device memory. Most chefs will clearly state how much device memory is used by their rom. I wish you the best!!
All righty. Thanks. I took a look at that kitchen you were talking about. Seemed a bit overwhelming as far as options were concerned. I think I might be able to figure them out though. Do any other people feel the same I mean like is there some kind of frequently asked questions section, or is it just kind of wherever?

Anyway, thanks again for looking into the situation for me, I'll be sure to keep you and the rest of the community posted.

- 2 Bunny
Old 05-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Seeking an Automatic Landscape ROM with Landscape TouchFlow 3D

2 Bunny, you should check the size of your main storage folders, and make sure that attachments, pics, vids, extra wallpapers, ring tones, etc.. have been moved to internal storage. If you only have .5 to 5MB's left, something installed on your Diamond must be eating up way too much main storage. On that note, how many programs do you have installed? Also, how much main storage did you start out with, after flashing to your current ROM? My Diamonds both have at least 120 extra apps installed, plus extra Sense mods, and both still have around half (36-37MBs) of the available main program storage free with amikam's latest 23569 MikROM.

As far as ROM cooking or flashing goes, you're going to have to experiment in order to figure out what works best for your needs. That said, I'd recommend giving OMJ's or amikam's ROMs a go. Both should have enough free main storage for most users. Also, if you try OMJ's Kitchen (it's the most updated Diamond specific one that I'm aware of), and post any cooking problems or questions in his kitchen thread. You should find help for your specific questions there. Please note that it may take a while for someone to reply, as the Diamond is long in the tooth now. In turn, many users are moving to or have already moved to other WM, i, or Android phones.

Best to all,
R
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Smile MOVING TO THE KITCHEN Reply

Quote:
2 Bunny, you should check the size of your main storage folders, and make sure that attachments, pics, vids, extra wallpapers, ring tones, etc.. have been moved to internal storage. If you only have .5 to 5MB's left, something installed on your Diamond must be eating up way too much main storage. On that note, how many programs do you have installed? Also, how much main storage did you start out with, after flashing to your current ROM? My Diamonds both have at least 120 extra apps installed, plus extra Sense mods, and both still have around half (36-37MBs) of the available main program storage free with amikam's latest 23569 MikROM.

As far as ROM cooking or flashing goes, you're going to have to experiment in order to figure out what works best for your needs. That said, I'd recommend giving OMJ's or amikam's ROMs a go. Both should have enough free main storage for most users. Also, if you try OMJ's Kitchen (it's the most updated Diamond specific one that I'm aware of), and post any cooking problems or questions in his kitchen thread. You should find help for your specific questions there. Please note that it may take a while for someone to reply, as the Diamond is long in the tooth now. In turn, many users are moving to or have already moved to other WM, i, or Android phones.

Best to all,
R
I don't remember how much, but that ROM started out with very little memory to begin with. If I recall, I remember thinking to myself, "gosh, that seems like how much I started with when I had that iPAQ 4150". I figured I would install everything to the 4GB, but even some stuff ate up the other memory. Seeing as the camera is broken, and there are a few other glitches here and there, I will seriously look into that kitchen that has been mentioned and post kitchen questions in there.

Thanks everyone, the few remaining Diamond "fans". Hopefully you stick around a bit longer, seeing as I just recently got the Diamond, so I'm on the way in while many others are leaving. LOL!

- 2 Bunny

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond